Materialism: The "What have you bought?" Thread

Tooj

Phone upgrade time yesterday. I had decided to go over to the dark side and get an iPhone but then they put out the white version and they are slated to be releasing a 4GS and an iPhone 5 before the end of the year. You got no hope of me signing up to a 2 year deal when my phone is going to be 3 versions out of date within 6 months :rolleyes:

I did a bit of research and ended up with the Samsung Galaxy S2. Spec wise it shits all over the iPhone, dual core and runs at 1.2ghz

Traded in my hero and got 200mins, unlimited texts and internet on an 18month contract for £22.50pm plus £50 for the handset

best-samsung-galaxy-s-2-apps.jpg

But if you're after a one-word summary of the Samsung Galaxy S2: awesome. We've been waiting for a phone to set a benchmark among the dual-core breed, and we've found it in the Samsung Galaxy S2.

We liked

*clears throat* We liked nigh-on EVERYTHING on the Samsung Galaxy S2. It's rare we get to evangelise a handset so much – in fact we haven't managed to do so since we opened the box on the HTC Desire and realised a slick experience could live outside the iPhone.

But with the Samsung Galaxy S2, things have been ratcheted up a notch. The Super AMOLED plus screen, with improved sub-pixel density, is a joy to behold, and the 4.3-inch screen size is made palatable for smaller hands thanks to the ridiculously thin dimensions.

The lightning fast reaction time of the phone was amazing too – we're talking nothing else on the market that can come close, and it easily eclipses the Motorola Atrix and LG Optimus 2X when it comes to sheer zip.

The pre-loaded applications, including the task manager and Polaris Office Suite, are for the most part excellent additions, and the sheer range of connectivity made the Galaxy S2 a fully-fledged phone out of the box.

Kies Air, Wi-Fi Direct, USB on the go – this phone is indeed future proofed, and while we couldn't tax the handset with any properly hardcore games, everything we threw at it worked like a charm.

In short, simply being able to open Google Maps and have your location in under a second is the kind of thing we love to be able to do, and the Samsung Galaxy S2 is the only handset we know that does it this well.

While it's not an out and out positive point, the battery power of the Galaxy S2 was more than useful in every day use. It's not going to blow your mind, but smartphones today have to be very careful they don't drain before you get home, and provided you don't spend most of your waking hours playing with the phone, it will do just fine.

We disliked

There's not much we didn't like if we're honest, which is testament to the constant evolution of Samsung's phones.

The keyboard is a little ropey, and the unlocking mechanism (swiping the screen to move it out of the way) looked a little cheap and nasty at times.

The plastic construction might reduce the weight, but it still feels a bit inexpensive when people will be looking for the ultimate phone design for the price.

The video recording can be a little patchy at Full HD, with the focus going in and out a bit at times.

We're still perplexed about why Samsung Apps is still an option here – avoid it and go to the Android Market instead.

You only need to look at the disparity between the things we liked and things we didn't to see what this phone is all about – and if we're honest, some of those dislikes wouldn't have made it into most phone reviews, but we didn't want it to look ridiculous.

The Samsung Galaxy S2 is a phone we're excited to whip out in a pub and show off to our friends – it's the ultimate media mobile, the next generation in web browsing thanks to slick Flash integration, a very good replacement for a pocket camcorder and, goshdarnit, it makes calls pretty well too.

If you're at the higher end of phone contracts already, we insist you must check this phone out. If you're more of a budget user, you might want to get the Samsung Galaxy Ace (which is essentially an S2 Mini) but steer clear of any friends that have the full S2 – you'll be green with envy in no time.

The Samsung Galaxy S2 has not only set a new bar for smartphones in 2011; it's smashed the bar, recreated it in its own image and put it out of reach of the competition.

Read more: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mo...4#ixzz1MgehQpVr

mines up next month, just going let the contract run on i think and wait for the iphone5 to come out see what the craic is.

I'm in no rush to change my 3gs anyway .

hows the battery holding out on this? had mine 16 months and its not quite as good as before....

been buying some original artwork recently, bought the painting which made the cover for this book;

436397809_0a88854229.jpg

Edited by trophyshy

Guest alex
2 Tickets to see City and Colour in Leeds

Did you know Bring Me Your Love is named after a Charles Bukowski / Robert Crumb collaboration? You probably didn't and you probably don't care either but I just thought I'd mention it anyway.

Bought a Mini (the car). Not for me, but I benefit by taking over my lass's A3 while she drives the Mini. And I finally get to retire the T reg Audi A6 Estate, aka The Hearse, aka ECTO 1.