What are you reading?

khay

Just started "The Lair of the White Worm", Bram Stoker, on iBooks.

Anyone read it?

No but I take it you've read Dracula.

Indeedy.

Felt compelled to wear moody make up and cut myself afterwards.

:D

:D

And go to Whitby?

Lettuce know what you think as I love Dracula (but read it years ago).

Will do. ( it's free on iBooks btw)

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Darkly Dreaming Dexter the other night, mindless but decent overall.

Began 'The Talented Mr Ripley' by Patricia Highsmith, enjoying this alot at the moment.

Been recommended 'Wolf Hall' and so started reading it a few days a go. Only a chapter in and liking the style it's written in so far, just haven't had the chance to read on yet.

Trauma Room One - Dr Charles Crenshaw

Written by the surgeon who initially tried to save the life of JFK as he was brought to Parkland hospital Dallas, he documents the startling difference in the "official" government description of the fatal bullet wounds againt those that he witnessed.

Jimbo heading to Texas with a book on conspiracy theories under his arm. Patsy in the making imo.

Well, now you mention it me and Mrs Jimbo are headed to Dallas at the weekend to visit Dealy plaza and the school book depository, it's set up exactly as it was on the day of the shooting, so accurately it doesn't even have a Lee Harvey Oswald at the window. ;)

Goes without saying you will be taking Mrs. J. up the Grassy Knoll :o

As long as I'm the lone gunman, I'm sure she'll have no objections.....

3/4 through Imperial Bedrooms by Brett Easton-Ellis. Utter class. Cold, observational, funny in a dark way and distant. But enough about me. ;)

ooooh, didn't know he had a new one out.

Cheers Parks!

Began 'The Talented Mr Ripley' by Patricia Highsmith, enjoying this alot at the moment.

I've read the third one in the series. Ripley's Game. Someone loaned me it and I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised, as Freddie Shepherd might say. The film by Wim Wenders is canny good too actually. Called 'The American Friend' with Dennis Hopper and Bruno Ganz (Hitler in 'Downfall').

Edited by alex

3/4 through Imperial Bedrooms by Brett Easton-Ellis. Utter class. Cold, observational, funny in a dark way and distant. But enough about me. ;)

Cheers Parks!

I was an avid reader of all his stuff back in the day but once they started making movies out of them the interest waned.

Is it merely a middle aged Less Than Zero?

Now Donna Tartt :o

I've read the third one in the series. Ripley's Game. Someone loaned me it and I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised, as Freddie Shepherd might say. The film by Wim Wenders is canny good too actually. Called 'The American Friend' with Dennis Hopper and Bruno Ganz (Hitler in 'Downfall').

The Talented Mr Ripley and Ripeys Game ( the one with Malkovich and Winstone) are both crackers. Me and Mrs P must have watched the former about 10 times.

Doing Tess of the D'Urbervilles for A-Level more or less ruined Thomas Hardy for me, unfortunately.

Know what you mean.

Gemma Arterton revived it for me like. ;)

Never saw that although I've seen 'Tess' (the Polanski fillum with Natasha Kinsky), which is canny.

Cheers Parks!

I was an avid reader of all his stuff back in the day but once they started making movies out of them the interest waned.

Is it merely a middle aged Less Than Zero?

Now Donna Tartt :o

It is. But there is more erasure of persona, it is also cynical, but not obvious cynicism - cynicism that comes as a surprise. It is the novel Baudrillard would have written if he was a novelist. It is the cool LA surfaces and ice cold mineral waters, it is Xanax driven into the darkest canyons of the mind. It is relentlessly stylish and observational in a way that the workds judder up against you and you have to double check your own thougts. I like reading it in the bookshop.

The first Donna Tart was excellent (A secrety history) the rest is rubbish.

Edited by Park Life

Doing Tess of the D'Urbervilles for A-Level more or less ruined Thomas Hardy for me, unfortunately.

Know what you mean.

Never saw that although I've seen 'Tess' (the Polanski fillum with Natasha Kinsky), which is canny.

Got that on dvd. Filmed in Normandy btw.

Know what you mean.

Watched The Tennant last night.

Know what you mean.

Aye, well I knew it was northern France (Normandy or Brittany) from watching it back then. Supposedly because Dorset / Wessex doesn't look like that any more (not much of it does anyway). Probably more to do with money like.

Know what you mean.

Watched The Tennant last night.

Sposed to be awesome that, always meant to watch it. What you make of it?

Know what you mean.

Aye, well I knew it was northern France (Normandy or Brittany) from watching it back then. Supposedly because Dorset / Wessex doesn't look like that any more (not much of it does anyway). Probably more to do with money like.

Yeah sorry it might have been Brittany perhaps. N France tho as you say. I was gutted when I found out, mainly cos I think of England being so distinct from France.

Having said that the weather should probably have given it away cos it was sunny most of the way through the film. :o

Know what you mean.

Gemma Arterton revived it for me like. :o

Yeah sorry it might have been Brittany perhaps. N France tho as you say. I was gutted when I found out, mainly cos I think of England being so distinct from France.

Having said that the weather should probably have given it away cos it was sunny most of the way through the film. :nah:

I wasn't correcting you btw (if I'm right it'll look like I'm a right sad twat - which I am, tbf - and I've just gone and wiki'ed it ;) ). I just knew it was Northern France. It's a bit like when you know the urban bits in Full Metal Jacket were done in Docklands and you can't get that out of your mind when watching it.

Know what you mean.

Gemma Arterton revived it for me like. :nah:

Having said that the weather should probably have given it away cos it was sunny most of the way through the film. :D

I wasn't correcting you btw (if I'm right it'll look like I'm a right sad twat - which I am, tbf - and I've just gone and wiki'ed it ;) ). I just knew it was Northern France. It's a bit like when you know the urban bits in Full Metal Jacket were done in Docklands and you can't get that out of your mind when watching it.

what.the.fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck???!!!! :o

....cheers for that! Wanker!