What are you reading?

khay

• 1 month later...

The Acid House by Irvine Welsh.

An unsettling, shocking and very funny collection of short stories, only half way through at the moment and I'd highly reccomend it like most of Welsh's books.

Going away for a week over easter and thinking about what to take, considering the Bourne books (first trilogy)

anyone read them and would recommend?

Going away for a week over easter and thinking about what to take, considering the Bourne books (first trilogy)

I've read the first one, its very different to the film, better in my opinion.

A couple of cracking ones I've read lately are 'Dirty Work' by Larry Brown and 'A Walk on the Wild Side' by Nelson Algren.

If you like a bit of espionage stuff (albeit of the more 'old-fashioned' variety) I'd highly recommend 'Funeral In Berlin' by Len Deighton. It's one of the 'Harry Palmer' books, although the main character is only called that in the films and is anonymous throughout the book. The most famous film is 'The Ipcress File' which is also a good read. 'Billion Dollar Brain' is a pretty ordinary book and film though.

An unsettling, shocking and very funny collection of short stories, only half way through at the moment and I'd highly reccomend it like most of Welsh's books.

I thought the novella at the end was the best thing in it. Although I prefer novels to short stories in general anyway. Some weird shit in there like, as you say.

As Jimbo said they are different to the films (but good).

You might find the novels a bit harder to follow compared with the films as they are set in the 60s/70s iirc and a lad of your age might be unfamiliar with the context of the politics etc.

As for me I'm in a bit of a re-read mood - I just re-read the Richard Morgan Kovacs trilogy which is top drawer.

I also read the lates Dean Koontz one which I found to be a pale shadow of his earlier novels. The premise was good but it was just too brief and shallow. In "protest" I bought one of his early novels (Strangers) which I must have read 20 years ago which I'd lost which definitely has the depth lacking in the latest (Breathless).

I thought the novella at the end was the best thing in it. Although I prefer novels to short stories in general anyway. Some weird shit in there like, as you say.

I read Reheated Cabbage the other week, some excellent short stories but some unmitigated shit as well, especially the last story 'I am Miami' (also the only previously unpublished story in the compilation, worryingly). There's a story where Begbie goes to his Ma's for christmas dinner, very reminiscent of an unreformed Stevie, and hilarious.

Skagheads (the prequel to Trainspotting) was due last year, I hope he ups his game for that.

Not sure if you or Mr. LSD here ever got round to reading 'Maribou Stork Nightmares' (think I told Wacky to read it too) but I'm always amazed at how little acclaim it gets as it's one of Welsh's best imo.

Not sure if you or Mr. LSD here ever got round to reading 'Maribou Stork Nightmares' (think I told Wacky to read it too) but I'm always amazed at how little acclaim it gets as it's one of Welsh's best imo.

I like that one.

I still think Glue is his best as I might have said on here before.

I like that one.

I still think Glue is his best as I might have said on here before.

Glue is excellent, aye.

Just finished reading 'Plague of the Dead' and 'Thunder and Ashes' by ZA Recht, sadly it turns out the the author died last December at the age of 26 so now the third book in the series may never be released :icon_lol:

I think it's the last one I haven't read. Well, that and Glue. :icon_lol:

Going to complete my collection via Amazon.

• 1 month later...
I also read the latest Dean Koontz one which I found to be a pale shadow of his earlier novels. The premise was good but it was just too brief and shallow. In "protest" I bought one of his early novels (Strangers) which I must have read 20 years ago which I'd lost which definitely has the depth lacking in the latest (Breathless).

Continued that trend with Phantoms and have also re-bought Night Chills which I think was the first book of his I read. It has a premise of subliminal conditioning enhanced by drugs which allows the baddie to speak a phrase and put someone under their complete control - I first read this as teenager and it led to quite a few sordid wank fantasies :angry: