What are you reading?

khay

They both smoke each other's cocks off like chain-smokers yes. I just like Hitch because he turned me on to other reading, we share certain sympathies and he has written some good stuff to be fair. I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about when Amis talked of his momentary 'urge'--one that he made clear would be wrong to act upon--to punish Muslims after 9/11.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

I'd like some new authors, can't seem to find anymore. I mainly like Political thrillers ie Stephen Leather, Frederick Forsyth, Jack Higgins etc that sort of thing, but fancy a change. Don't like science fiction, I used to like the old Stephen King books ie The Stand and Harold Robbins but Robbins especially is old hat now, his first ones were superb.

Give C.J.Sansom a go.

He has a five book series , set in the time of the Dissolution of the Monasteries, the main character is Matthew Shardlake, each book is a case he takes on- political intrigue, thriller, murder, history.

The books are ; Dissolution, Dark Fire, Sovereign,Revelation and Heartstone.

The plots are gripping, and the historical detail is excellent.

They both smoke each other's cocks off like chain-smokers yes. I just like Hitch because he turned me on to other reading, we share certain sympathies and he has written some good stuff to be fair. I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about when Amis talked of his momentary 'urge'--one that he made clear would be wrong to act upon--to punish Muslims after 9/11.

I had an urge to punish him (not in the public school sense) after reading London Fields. I prefer Ballard if we're talking middle-class pervy shit tbh.

Not read it in a long time but I did enjoy it. Better than The Doors of Perception (taking drugs tends to be better than reading about them funnily enough). I would say some of BNW has already come true though (sort of).

Yeah that's what I thought. There were some bits in the intro (which gave away too much of the bloody book btw) about science and whatnot that are perhaps valid, but his schtick about totalitarian governments and the like doesn't get me going. Does it get you going Alex? What does get you going exactly?

Yeah that's what I thought. There were some bits in the intro (which gave away too much of the bloody book btw) about science and whatnot that are perhaps valid, but his schtick about totalitarian governments and the like doesn't get me going. Does it get you going Alex? What does get you going exactly?

Generally not really, it did when I was younger though. Although that Jack London book is about that so I'm contradicting myself there. These days I like stuff which is fairly easy to read on the whole but I'll read stuff now and again that gets my thinking (some Phillip K Dick or what have you, plus the odd 'classic'). I really like honest authors like Bukowski, John Fante (and his son Dan), Hemingway, Barry Gifford, all sorts really though. I tend to stick to novels. I discovered a couple of writers from the Southern US recently, Larry Brown and Harry Crews. I'm always a bit unsure of recommending stuff to other people though as taste in books is such a personal thing and you have to invest quite a lot of time in it.

I'd like some new authors, can't seem to find anymore. I mainly like Political thrillers ie Stephen Leather, Frederick Forsyth, Jack Higgins etc that sort of thing, but fancy a change. Don't like science fiction, I used to like the old Stephen King books ie The Stand and Harold Robbins but Robbins especially is old hat now, his first ones were superb.

Give C.J.Sansom a go.

He has a five book series , set in the time of the Dissolution of the Monasteries, the main character is Matthew Shardlake, each book is a case he takes on- political intrigue, thriller, murder, history.

The books are ; Dissolution, Dark Fire, Sovereign,Revelation and Heartstone.

The plots are gripping, and the historical detail is excellent.

had a quick look in the library yesterday, but I'll make a note of that for next time. Ta.

king is the master. i'm still working my way through his massive back catalogue. he rarely disappoints.

I've just finished In The Miso Soup by Ryu Murakam.

It was a fantastic - if short - read and it is a decent exploration/critique of Japanese culture. It doesn't translate brilliantly but it still works quite well as a Thriller. It's the first thriller I have read as I'm not really a massive fan of the genre per se, I just picked it off the bookshelf when leaving the house.

The Authors main gripe seems to be with some of the characteristics of the Japanese people rather than the crazy American serial killer and it carries this quite well. Worth a read.

I've just finished In The Miso Soup by Ryu Murakam.

It was a fantastic - if short - read and it is a decent exploration/critique of Japanese culture. It doesn't translate brilliantly but it still works quite well as a Thriller. It's the first thriller I have read as I'm not really a massive fan of the genre per se, I just picked it off the bookshelf when leaving the house.

The Authors main gripe seems to be with some of the characteristics of the Japanese people rather than the crazy American serial killer and it carries this quite well. Worth a read.

That's a canny book that like. The same bloke wrote the novel 'Audition' (made into the movie of the same name).

www.theblizzard.co.uk

Jonathan Wilson of Zonal Marking has gone all M.A.S.K. and assembled a crack team of journo's writing about whatever footy they want.

First issue is 'pay what you like'. 188pages in total comes via .pdf link.

www.theblizzard.co.uk

Jonathan Wilson of Zonal Marking has gone all M.A.S.K. and assembled a crack team of journo's writing about whatever footy they want.

Saw post about that not long back I think. Is it any good? (comparable to? )

. The subs seemed quite expensive too?

www.theblizzard.co.uk

I'm only finishing up the first article, really good read so far though(it's about St. Pauli FC).

Well worth a read-similar to some of the Guardian writers articles, especially for 1p or the suggesed £3.

www.theblizzard.co.uk

I'm only finishing up the first article, really good read so far though(it's about St. Pauli FC).

Well worth a read-similar to some of the Guardian writers articles, especially for 1p or the suggesed £3.

I like the sound and ethos of it from checking their website. Forthcoming hardcopies look almost as though will be a conventional book format . Definately worth a couple of quid for a trial download read anyway. Cheers.

Just read John Krakauer's Into Thin Air, a gripping account of the tragedy on Everest in 1996. Highly recommended.

Great book, if you liked that, read White Spider

I saw that aye cheers, I was reading about the north face on wiki just the other day. If only I knew someone with a copy.... :lol:

• 1 month later...
has anybody read this ? I read "Fever Pitch" years ago and saw this in the library

longway_cover.jpg

Not that one but I've read About a boy and High Fidelity and enjoyed both.