What are you reading?

khay

Fair enough there may be "a bit of politics" in there but as both I and Renton have said, other political terrorists don't see suicide bombing as a valid option - I think that takes an extra ingredient.

Fair enough there may be "a bit of politics" in there but as both I and Renton have said, other political terrorists don't see suicide bombing as a valid option - I think that takes an extra ingredient.

Kamikaze pilot attacks spring instantly to mind...for more examples....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_attac...orical_examples

Kamikaze pilots who believed their emperor was divine :icon_lol:

I know its a bit easy to correlate suicide bombing and Islam but I do think its fair - of course others driven by occupation have done the same - the Vietnamese monk comes to mind - but I think having people who are indoctrinated into a belief in an afterlife are easier to radicalise for political causes than those not. Ireland springs to mind again as another example where things are spiced up by that extra factor - achieved a lot easier with separate estates/schools to keep "them and us" apart.

Getting back to Dawkins I think his thrust is that automatic "over" respect of beliefs can lead to problems. I think you should be able to say to people "isn't hating him because ....." is a bit daft (with some kind of politeness) and to do that you have to be able to say generally things like "you can't teach kids the world is 6000 years old" - I see allowing backsliding over curriculum and other concessions as barriers to having the confidence to say "we respect your right to be idiots but don't cause problems because of it".

Do you honestly think that Atta or Bin Laden really cared/care about the Palestinians?

Just been reading a bit more about Atta...

In 1996, Israeli jets bombed a UN building where civilians had taken refuge at Cana/ Qana in south Lebanon, killing 102 persons; in the place where Jesus is said to have made water into wine, Israeli bombs wrought a different sort of transformation. In the distant, picturesque port of Hamburg, a young graduate student studying traditional architecture of Aleppo saw footage like this on the news [graphic]. He was consumed with anguish and the desire for revenge. As soon as operation Grapes of Wrath had begun the week before, he had written out a martyrdom will, indicating his willingness to die avenging the victims, killed in that operation--with airplanes and bombs that were a free gift from the United States. His name was Muhammad Atta. Five years later he piloted American Airlines 11 into the World Trade Center. (Lawrence Wright, The Looming Tower, p. 307: "On April 11, 1996, when Atta was twenty-seven years old, he signed a standardized will he got from the al-Quds mosque. It was the day Israel attacked Lebanon in Operation grapes of Wrath. According to one of his friends, Atta was enraged, and by filling out his last testament during the attack he was offering his life in response").

http://www.juancole.com/2009/01/al-fakhour...-42-killed.html

Edited by Happy Face

A US intelligence report revealed last week says Afghan fighters aren't generally motivated by religion....

Nearly all of the insurgents battling US and NATO troops in Afghanistan are not religiously motivated Taliban and Al Qaeda warriors, but a new generation of tribal fighters vying for control of territory, mineral wealth, and smuggling routes, according to summaries of new US intelligence reports.

Some of the major insurgent groups, including one responsible for a spate of recent American casualties, actually opposed the Taliban’s harsh Islamic government in Afghanistan during the 1990s, according to the reports, described by US officials under the condition they not be identified.

“Ninety percent is a tribal, localized insurgency,’’ said one US intelligence official in Washington who helped draft the assessments. “Ten percent are hardcore ideologues fighting for the Taliban.’’

US commanders and politicians often loosely refer to the enemy as the Taliban or Al Qaeda, giving rise to the image of holy warriors seeking to spread a fundamentalist form of Islam. But the mostly ethnic Pashtun fighters are often deeply connected by family and social ties to the valleys and mountains where they are fighting, and they see themselves as opposing the United States because it is an occupying power, the officials and analysts said.

http://www.boston.com/news/world/middleeas...ry_reports_say/

Our bodies may be descended from Apes, but that's where it stops.

We are apes you chump.

:(

Hardly.

You're wrong, we are literally a type of ape.

Human arrogance seemingly has no limits.

Our bodies may be descended from Apes, but that's where it stops.

We are apes you chump.

I've been discussing this on NO because i've been reading Nietzsche and watching 2001.

Playing catchup? :(

• 3 weeks later...

Cormac McCarthy - The Road.

Intense stuff.

Not sure what to go for from the library next. I'm really only getting Ito books for the first time in years. Anything beyond the Goosebumps series or the Babysitters Club seemed scary.

I've loved Chuck Paulanik and Ellis Easton/Easton Ellis stuff.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Just finished Ant & Decs autobiography now starting to read Peter Kay Saturday Night Peter Memoirs of a Stand-Up Comedian.

Does Peter Gay go on how he is ace when infact its not even him that writes any of the jokes?

Fat Lancashire Cunt

"Your World is about to get a whole lot smaller" the end of cheap oil

just started it, looks good relates the "peak oil" phenomenon to the economic concequences of said phenom.

not a complete "brainwashed egghead"..... ;)

also just finished "the Burning Land" -5th book in the saxon stories series by Bernard Cornwell

and "Under the Dome" by Stephen King

Edited by tooner