What are you reading?

khay

Thanks for the recommendations Leazes, Alex & TP. I shall look into your suggestions.

One more proviso: not too many characters, I'm shite with names.

get the Stephen Leather man, you won't regret it :D

Guest alex
Thanks for the recommendations Leazes, Alex & TP. I shall look into your suggestions.

One more proviso: not too many characters, I'm shite with names.

The Maltese Falcon by Hammett is a stone cold classic in the hard boiled crime noir genre. And, take it from me, I've got impeccable taste :D

I started reading Brave New World months ago, but put it down after the introduction. Picked it up again recently and getting through it, it's fantastic. It made me think though, and I've mentioned the problems with my stool on here, at times I have taken upwards of 20 minutes having a shit at work. In my case, I am genuinely having a massive shit, but I know a few work colleagues who also spend this length in the toilet, and god knows what they get up to. They have admitted to me that they are not just defecating, and are actually engaging in some clandestine activity. If I was coming up with a dystopian future, the first thing I would do would be to install death traps into all toilets, so after 6 minutes if you don't come out you suffer a horrific death. It would quadruple efficiency in production and so on, any self-respecting totalitarian government should employ this method.

• 4 weeks later...

Leazes, these Stephen Leather books seem to be in series, featuring the same main characters. Can you read them as individual books or do they refer to things that happened in earlier books? I'm assuming the former.

Going to get one, and that Gary Imlach book about his fathers football career.

Leazes, these Stephen Leather books seem to be in series, featuring the same main characters. Can you read them as individual books or do they refer to things that happened in earlier books? I'm assuming the former.

Excellent read that.

Finished Brave New World recently, decent, but not a patch on 1984 imo. Huxley states in the introduction that he was severely worried about a rise in promiscuity, and predicted that 'marriage licenses would be handed out like dog licenses in the future'. So what? That stuff didn't appeal to me, the satire didn't bite, but dealing with advances in technology, and the fact that they are so rapid that we have to catch up to them as a species, as opposed to having it serve our best interests, is interesting. I didn't buy the way John found Shakespeare intensely emotive, it being one of the only things he'd ever read, and that whole tract felt like a bit of a gimmick to me. Still a good book though, the first chapter is very creative and has interesting ideas with the genetic engineering.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

I wasn't that impressed by the Gary Imlach book to be honest, just personal taste though going by what others say.

Stephen Leather has wrote many books, with different characters. Lately though, he has started featuring an ex SAS bloke called Dan Shepherd who goes undercover to capture drug dealers, terrorists etc and they are serialised, there are about 5 of them now, they are good but all based on him and a couple of other characters.

His early books ie "The Chinaman" are not like this, although a character from "the Chinaman" has a character which crops up in one or two others. The Chinaman IMO is the best book, the first one I ever read by him, and I have loaned it to a couple of people who couldn't put it down. So his early books have different characters, The Bombmaker is about an IRA terrorist who comes out of retirement, The Tunnel Rats, The Long Shot, The Birthday Girl and others are all standard thrillers with different characters, but he is my favourite author now, and I still have 3 or 4 books I have bought and not read yet. His very first book "Pay Off" wasn't so good so don't read that one first, but any of the others would be good first one.

He has also wrote 2 horror books [with the same central character] I've read one of them, and got the other one out of the library last week and will read it when I've finished what I'm reading now.

Here is his website, with a list of all the books

http://www.stephenleather.com/

Edited by LeazesMag

I went for Tango One. *Have you read that one Leazes? About Police recruits put undercover to bring down a Mr Big.

*No spoilers if you have!

aye, good, not my personal favourite [which is Chinaman and Bombmaker] but happy reading !

The Dan Shepherd ones are good actually, if you like using the same characters, which does have its merits. Jack Higgins uses the character Sean Dillon and Major Ferguson etc on similar lines.

Does anyone know any good football fiction books?

Read it ages ago but I quite enjoyed 'Fever Pitch'. Can't think of anything else other than kids books tbh.

Reading 'Some Prefer Nettles' by Jun'ichirō Tanizaki. Reminds me of Philip K. Dick's non-SF stuff for some reason.

Does anyone know any good football fiction books?

Read it ages ago but I quite enjoyed 'Fever Pitch'. Can't think of anything else other than kids books tbh.

Reading 'Some Prefer Nettles' by Jun'ichirō Tanizaki. Reminds me of Philip K. Dick's non-SF stuff for some reason.

there aren't too many football fiction books around tbh. Other than "Fever pitch", I can only think of "They used to play on grass" by Terry Venables [old, a 70's book] which I used to have but have lost it now.

Just thought of this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Goalkeepers-Reveng...n/dp/0140303480

Anyone else remember it?

That takes me back. "Goalkeepers, I could buy 'em and sell 'em" (or words to that effect).

Also that picture on the front of that lad on his go-cart called 'Egdam' ('Madge' backwards). He wins the race and then gets killed iirc. I had trouble accepting that ending at about 8 years of age. Jesus Christ.

I'm reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. A question the author hasn't even begun to address.

Couldn't get into that - probably because of being too much of a fan of the film.

I don't mind philosophical Sci-Fi including some of the old school stuff but that left me uninterested.

I think it's a great book.

We

And Fish although it's not exactly football fiction, try and find a copy of My Favourite Year: A Collection Of Football Writing as edited/compiled by Hornby.

We

And Fish although it's not exactly football fiction, try and find a copy of My Favourite Year: A Collection Of Football Writing as edited/compiled by Hornby.

Was Galatic Pot Healer any good btw? And have you tried any of his non-SF stuff?

We

Was Galatic Pot Healer any good btw? And have you tried any of his non-SF stuff?

I thought GPH was amazing.

Does The Man In The High Castle count as SF?

No I don't think so. You? Any recommendations?