What are you reading?

khay

There's a little indie book shop in CLS. I'm going through Stephen Kings back catalogue atm, £1.99 each.

King is my guilty pleasure, what haven't you read?

different seasons is brilliant, the stand (bit long but a great story)is my favorite, the bachman books is awesome the real running man story shits all over the travesty that was AH-nolds mooovie, and the long walk is a scary commentary (or view into the future considering it was written +30 years ago) on reality programming.

just read his latest collection as well, Full Dark No Stars, it was meh i've read enough of his stuff that I can see the twist coming form a mile away.

• 2 weeks later...

how long do people give books if they don't like them, or just can't get into them for any reason ?

Or do you carry on until the bitter end

Re-reading the sublime So the Wind Won't Blow it All Away by the genius that was Richard Brautigan.

I sometimes read books again, if I like them and its been a while. Sometimes a 2nd read is good, you see things you didn't see first time round.

I've just ordered Alex Fergusons autobiograpy "my life" on ebay, one of the best, I borrowed it a few years ago but I;ll be glad to have my own copy.

www.theblizzard.co.uk

Jonathan Wilson of Zonal Marking has gone all M.A.S.K. and assembled a crack team of journo's writing about whatever footy they want.

First issue is 'pay what you like'. 188pages in total comes via .pdf link.

Saw post about that not long back I think. Is it any good? (comparable to? )

. The subs seemed quite expensive too?

I'm only finishing up the first article, really good read so far though(it's about St. Pauli FC).

Well worth a read-similar to some of the Guardian writers articles, especially for 1p or the suggesed £3.

I like the sound and ethos of it from checking their website. Forthcoming hardcopies look almost as though will be a conventional book format . Definately worth a couple of quid for a trial download read anyway. Cheers.

Just to be picky but its Michael Cox that does the Zonal marking website. Wilson has done a few books and his inverting the pyramid was quite good. I've been tempted to get this as well as I enjoy is guardian columns and its got a quite a few other good football journalists.

• 2 weeks later...

Been reading George R R Martin's Song of Ice and Fires series. Not normally bothered by Swords and Shields stuff, but it was recommended by a few friends whose opinion I trust, it's being shown on Sky Atlantic and I found the first book of the series on the underground system in San Francisco. I figured it was a sign and to be fair I've burned through the first three books (The kindle is a wonderful device) in quick succession and I've been enjoying the series immensely. Don't expect any great message, but the scope of the thing is vast.

Someone recommend me a holiday book: thriller probably, easy to pick up and get into, not too taxing on the old concentration.

see 2 posts up. Anything by Stephen Leather, particularly "The Chinaman" or "The Bombmaker"

The Last Days of Richard III by John Ashdown-Hill.

You see, you have to think ahead. When I [eventually] bump into Bettany Hughes I will be able to get into her knickers fairly easily due to all the history info I have picked up with which to impress her. Like.

Guest alex
Someone recommend me a holiday book: thriller probably, easy to pick up and get into, not too taxing on the old concentration.

Old skool but you can't whack a bit of Raymond Chandler / Dashiell Hammett.

The Blue Nowhere, by Jeffrey Deaver, supoib novel.

Am currently reading (just started) The Civil War by Shelby Foote (3 volumes), waited months to get my hands on it (for less than £100) and now thankfully in reprint for just over £50.

Blue Bloods. Memoirs of an NYPD officer who went to Harvard. Interesting read but he comes across as a bit of a cock at times with some 'where's my motivation' moments. Tries to justify being workshy as being the fault of his sergeant who didn't love him enough or some shite.

Guest alex
Blue Bloods. Memoirs of an NYPD officer who went to Harvard. Interesting read but he comes across as a bit of a cock at times with some 'where's my motivation' moments. Tries to justify being workshy as being the fault of his sergeant who didn't love him enough or some shite.

You read 'Homicide' by David Simon? It's excellent. It comes in at an intimidating 600+ pages but don't let that put you off.

Edited by alex