What are you reading?

khay

I think Hollywood tends to take novels and butcher them beyond recognition so it's possibly not the biggest liberty being taken in relation to the source text.

My favourite novel-The Picture of Dorian Gray. My least favourite movie-Dorian Gray. What a horrid rendition that was

I think Hollywood tends to take novels and butcher them beyond recognition so it's possibly not the biggest liberty being taken in relation to the source text.

My favourite novel-The Picture of Dorian Gray. My least favourite movie-Dorian Gray. What a horrid rendition that was

Watch the original, much better

World War Z: Oral History of the Zombie War.

A very intelligent offering to the genre.

Aye, I enjoyed that. Mel Brooks' son wrote it as well :lol:

I just finished that recently. It dragged canny badly in parts I thought. Canny read, but I was ready for the end before I got there.

Probably was a bit too long. Canny idea though (pinched off Studs Terkel like).

Just finished re-reading Lolita , a Teeside classic. Reading Company by Max Barry. Canny good so far. Basically a corporate (Hewlett-Packard) satire. Not as dull as it sounds.

Edited by alex

Max Brooks looks like a proper mad-hatter.

As for the book itself, I'm into the 'Blame' chapter, so I'm only a third of the way through. Some great material for the film adaption, if it stays true to the book ie. how the Russian military disciplines it's troops who cannot carry out orders to shoot when little was known about the African Rabies Virus and the threat posed to healthy citizens. Brooks is stoked with the screenplay, as it has that 'global feel' in the story telling and that's where the book's effect lies, so it looks promising re: the upcoming film version.

There's enough to conspiracy material (ficticious obviously) to please Parky.

Patient Zero is another excellent example of a genre piece done well, and I'm sure there's plenty of tacky, gory shite in this particular genre.

I adore that Novel and I liked the original film not the nasty remake.

Being made by Brad Pitt at the mo.

Just started Fingerprints of the Gods by Graham Hancock. I feel like Parky when I'm reading it.

His conclusions are a bit far-fetched (our ancient ancestors have hidden a code across the earth that foretells the end of the world in 2012 / Mayan calendar shit) but the book itself can be enjoyed without needing to look for an overall theme to bring everything together. Just the facts around the buildings and the way in which astronomy was built in to their design makes it a worthwhile read. The fact that their intelligent design fucks with most dominant interpretations of human history, development and intelligence is great too.

I just finished that recently. It dragged canny badly in parts I thought. Canny read, but I was ready for the end before I got there.

Just finished re-reading Lolita , a Teeside classic. Reading Company by Max Barry. Canny good so far. Basically a corporate (Hewlett-Packard) satire. Not as dull as it sounds.

:lol: Nowt at the minute for me. Any recommendations?

:D Nowt at the minute for me. Any recommendations?

just fucking did it man :lol:

"In the Vietnam War, Nguyen Ngoc Minh laid booby-traps for US GIs before switching sides to become a ruthless hunter of his former comrades. Now quietly living in Clapham with his family, he sees them killed by an IRA bomb, leaving him with one thought - revenge."

Got to be honest like, not tickling owt for me.

"In the Vietnam War, Nguyen Ngoc Minh laid booby-traps for US GIs before switching sides to become a ruthless hunter of his former comrades. Now quietly living in Clapham with his family, he sees them killed by an IRA bomb, leaving him with one thought - revenge."

Got to be honest like, not tickling owt for me.

Fair enough. What sort of books do you read ?

namby-pamby left-leaning do-gooder books

should have guessed I suppose, the username's a dead give-away :lol:

Edited by LeazesMag

Anyone read any 'bizarro' stuff? I've heard some good things about Carlton Mellick III. Sounds like the sort of thing that could be sublime or, equally, proper tedious dogshit.

And Ayatollah, what sort of stuff do you like? I'm always a little bit wary recommending stuff to people.

I've read The Crying of Lot 49 by him. Found it hard going from what I can remember.

Aye I read Gravity's Rainbow, a few years back though when I was in year 10 I think. I only read it because there's a Klaxons song named after it :lol: , ended up loving it though, think crying of lot 49 is a lot smaller than his other books mind. This is a beast! As is Gravity's Rainbow.

I've read The Crying of Lot 49 by him. Found it hard going from what I can remember.

Aye I read Gravity's Rainbow, a few years back though when I was in year 10 I think. I only read it because there's a Klaxons song named after it :lol: , ended up loving it though, think crying of lot 49 is a lot smaller than his other books mind. This is a beast! As is Gravity's Rainbow.

All I can remember is some sort of rival secret societies which are never fully uncovered which have some link to the post office. Or something. I think a lot of the symbolism and 60s California references were lost on me tbh.

Just started Fingerprints of the Gods by Graham Hancock. I feel like Parky when I'm reading it.

His conclusions are a bit far-fetched (our ancient ancestors have hidden a code across the earth that foretells the end of the world in 2012 / Mayan calendar shit) but the book itself can be enjoyed without needing to look for an overall theme to bring everything together. Just the facts around the buildings and the way in which astronomy was built in to their design makes it a worthwhile read. The fact that their intelligent design fucks with most dominant interpretations of human history, development and intelligence is great too.

Aye I'm enjoying it so far. I thought it might have been a bit textbooky, but it's pretty easy reading.