Wigan (A)

Matty

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we're the perfect team to play if you're wigan. want to end a winless streak? get the mags in town.

i'm predicting a fulham-esque no-show. 2-0 home win

I reckon 90% of fans must be feeling that at heart.

Would love to be proved wrong, like.

Solano aims to wipe out bad memoryFeb 24 2007

By Lee Ryder, The Evening Chronicle

Nobby Solano has urged Newcastle United to wipe out the horrible memories of Wigan and the JJB Stadium by pushing the Latics closer to the drop tomorrow.

The Peruvian was part of the Graeme Souness side who were dumped out of the Carling Cup by Wigan reserves in front of 8,000 Geordies on a night when United somehow escaped with only a last-minute 1-0 defeat - but only because of the brilliance of Shay Given, who managed to keep the score down with a string of unbelievable stops.

Wigan went all of the way to the final after that and, 12 months after they walked out at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff to face eventual winners Manchester United, they come up against the Magpies in a game which they need to win to help keep them afloat in the Premiership.

Solano told the Chronicle: "That was a bad memory for all of us that night in Wigan.

"It is one we will be working hard to try to forget and get the three points.

"If we can work hard there is no reason why we cannot make it four wins in a row against Wigan."

Solano has looked a confident figure at right-back for United this term when called upon, and it looks increasingly likely that his future could be in that position.

The stint at the back has also handed Solano a different viewpoint, but after playing in his more familiar role on the wing against Liverpool, the Peruvian says that although the clash with the Merseysiders in their last Premiership outing conjured up three points, it can also be used as a warning shot.

He added: "We need to concentrate and not give chances away.

"Against Liverpool we were lucky because they missed a lot of chances.

"If you don't give chances away you always have a better chance of winning games."

United still have plenty to play for going into final third of their campaign with European places still in touching distance, not to mention the UEFA Cup itself.

Solano says: "The UEFA Cup is very important to us but we have a different task at Wigan.

"We need to climb up the table and give ourselves the best chance of a good finish.

"Wigan are struggling at the bottom but we have to be confident after winning our last three games."

we're the perfect team to play if you're wigan. want to end a winless streak? get the mags in town.

i'm predicting a fulham-esque no-show. 2-0 home win

I'll go for the same. 2-0 or 3-1 to them, a complete no-show from us.

Guest Patrokles

We'll probably lose 23120-0 and the majority of our players will be injured and the players that aren't injured will be shite and I'll sit at home and cry myself to sleep and stick pins in my Roeder voodoo doll and wish I were dead and that we were in the top 4 which will never happen in a million years because everything about us is shit.

I've got a sneaky feeling Roeder will put a back 4 out of:

Taylor................Gooch.................Bramble..............Huntington

Not saying this is my choice, just can imagine GR being worried about the high ball.

Can't say i'm convinced we'll come out with the right attitude to win this game tbh. We don't seem to have that kind of determination to put a team under consistent pressure. Dunno if we'll have the legs for a high tempo match either. We'll need to do both imo.

Wigan Athletic

1 John Filan

4 Matt Jackson

26 Leighton Baines

19 Ryan Taylor

17 Emmerson Boyce

16 Luis Antonio Valencia

24 Josip Skoko

14 Denny Landzaat

10 Lee McCulloch

20 Caleb Folan

9 Emile Heskey