Does your car fill with petrol

Renton

1 minute ago, sammynb said:

Definitely in this country where there are long distances between what little infastructure we have for electric vehicles. Fine if you never leave the city but a trip an hour of two in an direction from a metro and you're going to be pushing a big scalectrix until you find a powerpoint or an extension cable long enough.

Suppose that was colouring my judgement

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RobinRobin said:

Suppose that was colouring my judgement

Hybrids are just the worst of both world's tbh, at least that's the opnion from civilised countries. 

Not to go all Q-Anon and Trump supporter but the move to electric vehicles in many ways is just pushing another problem down the road. With current electricity generation around the world there are still ridiculous amounts of greenhouse emissions being produced. Plus the whole mining and processing of lithium is fucking toxic (to the environment and not including the slavery issues of it's mining in Africa).

Lastly they are still really trying to work out how to dispose of dead/used lithium ion batteries and not have them leech their toxic chemicals into the environment.

But Elon doesn't like talking about this stuff.

It's also the reason Toyota are working hard on getting a hydrogen combustion engine to work,

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Renton said:

Hybrids are just the worst of both world's tbh, at least that's the opnion from civilised countries. 

And that's great for all you civilised folk but here where you have towns, not cities, towns 400/500km apart or where it is not uncommon to drive 1000km in a day, electric vehicles are not viable, well at least not until manufacturers make the battery packs changeable, so you can just swap and go. But we all know that won't happen because they will all have different size batteries or different volt or different connector plugs because in our capitalistic society, it's not to their benefit to collaborate on a unified system, that might benefit more than just themselves.

Btw most contemporary cars that meet Euro 6 emissions are producing such a small amount of greenhouse gases that they aren't the problem, it's all the shite being tooled around in the 3rd world countries or the shitty engines that governments like Australia and the US allow in to keep prices down (they run on 91 octane fuel and don't even make Euro 4 spec). If everyone drove a Euro 6 spec vehicle, the greenhouse gases from cars would be a small fraction of what it currently is.

13 minutes ago, sammynb said:

And that's great for all you civilised folk but here where you have towns, not cities, towns 400/500km apart or where it is not uncommon to drive 1000km in a day, electric vehicles are not viable, well at least not until manufacturers make the battery packs changeable, so you can just swap and go. But we all know that won't happen because they will all have different size batteries or different volt or different connector plugs because in our capitalistic society, it's not to their benefit to collaborate on a unified system, that might benefit more than just themselves.

Btw most contemporary cars that meet Euro 6 emissions are producing such a small amount of greenhouse gases that they aren't the problem, it's all the shite being tooled around in the 3rd world countries or the shitty engines that governments like Australia and the US allow in to keep prices down (they run on 91 octane fuel and don't even make Euro 4 spec). If everyone drove a Euro 6 spec vehicle, the greenhouse gases from cars would be a small fraction of what it currently is.

Man, do we have to do all the thinking for you convicts? The solution for you as you go around the outback is solar powered cars. Like this one.

image.png.51c147a208638893863817834ba3a0b6.png

Combine this as a hybrid which runs on kangaroo meat at night, and you're flying. You're welcome. 👍

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, sammynb said:

Thats not why that won't happen, not solely anyway.

The batteries for most EVs take up the entire floor of the car and weigh a hundred kilos +. The engineering required to make swappable batteries  across all EVs would be a complete fools errand.

Electric vehicles (EVs) normally store the batteries along the bottom of the chassis

16 hours ago, Andrew said:

Thats not why that won't happen, not solely anyway.

The batteries for most EVs take up the entire floor of the car and weigh a hundred kilos +. The engineering required to make swappable batteries  across all EVs would be a complete fools errand.

Electric vehicles (EVs) normally store the batteries along the bottom of the chassis

There is definitely an issue but if you look at that battery pack, made it slightly smaller, so say a 300km range instead of 400-500km, there is potential to slide it out one side and slide a replacement in. It would require implementing a system that could lift/move the battery pack, a faultless contact system or plug - maybe not to dissimilar to what electric forklifts have used for 40 years, also there would need to be a quick lock system to stop any movement of the battery pack because with inertia any movement would be problematic. Maybe a deadman system where unless all locks are secured there is no power.
If we can build retractable field stadiums, surely we can build electric vehicles with remove/replace battery packs.

But the main reason it won't happen can be summed up into two words - betamax/VHS. It's all about da profit man.

• Like 1

On 22/06/2023 at 08:50, Renton said:

The cost of EV's is eye watering isn't it? Everything I would want is 40k plus, fuck knows how much J69's Tesla is? Then the resale is a problem because the prices aren't great as the batteries obvioulsy degrade over time. Then the price of electicity has massively increased, making the whole thing much less attractive. I'll keep waiting. 

Salary sacrifice through work. £400pm all in, taxed, insured, breakdown cover and free charging at work (for now)

• 1 month later...
On 24/06/2023 at 07:39, ewerk said:

I did the deal yesterday, it’s basically costing £4k after trade in and certain tax treatments with a free charging point included.

For some reason I thought you were in rural Ireland. With that purchase I'm gonna guess I was wrong. Fuck driving about Donegal and Mayo looking for somewhere to charge the car.

Ours is diesel. Actually it's worse than that, it's also French. It's been pretty reliable for its age and decent seven seaters are few and far between on the second hand market. Glasgow's new ULEZ zone has proved a bit of a ball-ache but that's entirely our fault for being disorganised as fuck and not applying for the exemption (lads blue badge). Plan is to just run the car into the ground. Might look properly at the motability options when it finally dies. I'd be confident it hasnat least another year or two if wasn't for Mrs Blastronaut recent mad moments when she speeds up for speed bumps. She's easily a better driver than me tbh but she's clearly pushing to get the current motor replaced with a motability option. 

5 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

For some reason I thought you were in rural Ireland. With that purchase I'm gonna guess I was wrong. Fuck driving about Donegal and Mayo looking for somewhere to charge the car.

Ours is diesel. Actually it's worse than that, it's also French. It's been pretty reliable for its age and decent seven seaters are few and far between on the second hand market. Glasgow's new ULEZ zone has proved a bit of a ball-ache but that's entirely our fault for being disorganised as fuck and not applying for the exemption (lads blue badge). Plan is to just run the car into the ground. Might look properly at the motability options when it finally dies. I'd be confident it hasnat least another year or two if wasn't for Mrs Blastronaut recent mad moments when she speeds up for speed bumps. She's easily a better driver than me tbh but she's clearly pushing to get the current motor replaced with a motability option. 

My car is a motability they’re great 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

My car is a motability they’re great 

Oh I don't doubt that for a second. The whole scheme looks fantastic and it's sometimes a.challenge to fight the "why are we driving a 13yo when we could get a new one on motability" thoughts.

We've been keeping a close eye on the 7 seater options since they change quite a bit, but when we already have a car that's been really reliable (albeit a bit old and not very environmentally friendly) that fits a family of six + the lads wheelchair and still has room for a supermarket shop, it seems mental to stump up the deposit and the lose the chunk of benefits to replace it for a "new". When the Renault finally dies it undoubtedly the route we'll go down, but the deposit for most of the suitable 7 seaters is usually in the the £1500 to £2000 range, which is basically what we paid to buy the Renault.

1 hour ago, Blastronaut said:

Oh I don't doubt that for a second. The whole scheme looks fantastic and it's sometimes a.challenge to fight the "why are we driving a 13yo when we could get a new one on motability" thoughts.

We've been keeping a close eye on the 7 seater options since they change quite a bit, but when we already have a car that's been really reliable (albeit a bit old and not very environmentally friendly) that fits a family of six + the lads wheelchair and still has room for a supermarket shop, it seems mental to stump up the deposit and the lose the chunk of benefits to replace it for a "new". When the Renault finally dies it undoubtedly the route we'll go down, but the deposit for most of the suitable 7 seaters is usually in the the £1500 to £2000 range, which is basically what we paid to buy the Renault.

Remember you get free insurance, tyres, recovery and servicing.

Fuck, somehow I'd missed the free insurance element, but was aware of the rest. Might reconsider. Honestly though, the Renault has been an absolute tank and never really let us down. Last winter it didn't seem to like cold mornings very much, OBD said one bad glow plug. Closer inspection 

• 2 months later...
On 21/08/2023 at 23:37, Blastronaut said:

Honestly though, the Renault has been an absolute tank and never really let us down. 

So the absolute tank bit the dust. While we're waiting on the motability car we've made the questionable decision to replace it with an even older Renault, advertised ridiculously cheap with the legend "good runner but all the usual Renault quirks and issues with the electrics". 

Guy wasn't kidding. I think every single button on the dashboard pops the boot open, except for the button that's meant to open the boot. Thankfully it only has to do us for a few months and with that in mind its quite an amusing wee runaround (for now). It just does mad shit, I love it.

• Haha 6

My car was nicked a few months back.

After some deliberating, I’m ordering the new Tesla model 3 Highlander for collection in January with some help from a salary sacrifice scheme 

Looks like we have a new king car 

scared surprised GIF

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

After some deliberating, I’m ordering the new Tesla model 3 Highlander for collection in January with some help from a salary sacrifice scheme 

Looks like we have a new king car 

scared surprised GIF

Which version? I've had the LR for 3 years. Hands down the best car I've ever owned. 320miles to a charge, 0-60 in 4 seconds, Netflix on the telly for the bairn when we are parked up. 

58 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

'07 Megane with Bradford plates by any chance? I'll fully cooperate with the investigation. 

I've got no interest in cars at all. Just short term logistics.

• Haha 1