Sidwell names that Toon

Jimbo

By SHAUN CUSTIS

April 04, 2007

COMMENT ON THIS STORY

STEVE SIDWELL has told friends he wants to join Newcastle.

The Reading midfielder is out of contract in the summer and has refused to agree a new deal.

A host of Premiership clubs have been linked to his signing, including Manchester United.

But despite publicly making noises that he might stay at the Madejski Stadium next season, SunSport understands Sidwell has made up his mind to quit — and he sees his future on Tyneside.

Premiership rules forbid rival clubs from talking to out-of-contract players until the end of the season.

But Sidwell is aware of strong interest from Toon boss Glenn Roeder.

The former Arsenal trainee, who was an FA Youth Cup winner with Arsene Wenger’s boys, has been offered £25,000 a week to stay with the Royals.

He had hinted that if the club secured a place in the UEFA Cup it could turn his head.

And the decision by manager Steve Coppell to sign a two-year deal was seen by optimistic Reading supporters as another reason why the 24-year-old might remain in Berkshire.

But Sidwell knows he could get at least £40,000 a week elsewhere and cash-conscious Reading are not able to match such sums.

Newcastle are planning a clearout in the summer and Sidwell’s arrival would probably mean the end of the line for former England and Manchester United midfielder Nicky Butt.

The Geordies also aim to bring in two centre-backs, with Roeder hoping to prise Wes Brown from Old Trafford and Anton Ferdinand from West Ham.

handy player. again, i'd like to see parker leave than emre to make way for him.. sidwell, butt, dyer and emre is a decent group of four central midfielders to pick from. n'zogbia can cover cm too.

Canny player but once again we're giving a player OTT wages (if £40,000 is accurate) and we'll never be able to shift him if things don't work out.

Canny player but once again we're giving a player OTT wages (if £40,000 is accurate) and we'll never be able to shift him if things don't work out.

Exactly. That's far too much money to be paying a ginger 24 year old.

FWIW.

better technically than either butt or parker. can playmake better, not quite as good defensively as butt.

would take him as he's younger than both our defensive midfielders and for my money the best prospect of all 3 (bearing in mind butts age).

Is it only us and Chelsea paying these sorts of wages these days?

(okay bit of an exageration-us and any of the top four?)

Guest stevieintoon

Great player on his day, but just too fucking inconsistant. 40k is absolutely ridiculous.

He's been Reading's best player.

I think if we can get Wes Brown to the toon, hand on heart it will be the best signing we've made since Woody, I mean that.

Guest stevieintoon

Great player on his day, but just too fucking inconsistant. 40k is absolutely ridiculous.

Fuck off! :o

He has, I was listening to Ingimarsson the other day he reckons he's been worth 15 points to them alone.

He has, I was listening to Ingimarsson the other day he reckons he's been worth 15 points to them alone.

So obviously all those games I've seen him where he's been piss poor don't count because Ingimarsson said so. :o

The rest of the team currently aren't happy with his attitude, and rightly so.

Guest stevieintoon

So obviously all those games I've seen him where he's been piss poor don't count because Ingimarsson said so. :o

The rest of the team currently aren't happy with his attitude, and rightly so.

Would you not have a bad attitude if you had a ginger affliction as bad as his?

The fact that we're still being linked with Ferdinand is the most worrying thing about that. Jesus titty fucking Christ!

It's also amazing how far Parker's stock has fallen because Roeder doesn't know how to play him.

Twice the player Parker is.

Three times the player Emre is.

Twenty-seven times the player Lampard is for England.

*prepares reply of "OMG LOL chomp!!1!" to be used regardless of whatever you say next*

And Brett Emerton is better than every player named in this thread so far.

Glad to see there is no bias in your opinion Steve. :o

I'm not trying to be funny here, but was Sidwell the midfielder who Emre ran away from on more than one occasion (with the ball, I might add) when we played Reading at SJP ?? If so, he didn't look out special [imo]