Best Guitar player?

@yourservice

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thompers championing three of the dullest acts in modern music; coldplay, kid rock and david gray. I'm not sure I really need to try on this one, tbf.

I've actually listened to your attempt at music and, fuck me, you're honestly not even in the kind of position to criticize Sclub7

Kid Rock tbh. Most under rated modern musician by a country mile.

:(

Anticipated. Ever seen the guy pick up a guitar and do a solo? Have you?

He used to be in a metal band didn't he? Saw some footage on MTV once. He isn't that good or orignal in terms of his sound from what I've seen or heard.

No he never. He's a solo artist and always has been, sometimes backed by a band named Twisted Brown Trucker. Probably one of the most unique acts around in the fashion that nobody covers as many varieties of music as him, from rap, to rock, to country etc etc. You surely have to be a talented musician to be able to make the transition from such different types of music. And he is.

Significantly, I think most would dispute that he is able to make that transition tbf.

Sold over 10 million of his rock/rap album Devil Without a Cause then hit the top of the country charts with 'Picture' featuring Sheryl Crow, so no, I don't think most would dispute that.

Timmy Mallet sold a lot of records like. Do you imagine the likes of Jay-Z consider him to be a credible rap artist?

I don't consider Jay-Z to be a credible rap artist. :)

Guest alex

thompers championing three of the dullest acts in modern music; coldplay, kid rock and david gray. I'm not sure I really need to try on this one, tbf.

:( David Gray.

Then: Page was good, Clapton was God

Now: Slash, Good to see Prince mentioned. Not an avid fan but a talented musician. I reckon John Squire deserves a mention - although he's a good example of unfulfilled potential.

Thing is, I guess a lot of these are mentioned because of our musical tastes. A true legend is someone who transcends this and becomes more widely recognised. More importantly, recognised by their peers. Clapton really rates Prince for example and I seem to remember he said Purple Rain would be one of his 10 desert island discs.

A 'best guitarist' thread and I dont think anyone has mentioned Eric Clapton :panic: I dont like his music, but isnt he supposed to be an awesome guitarist? And what about the one in Bon Jovi? Cant think of his name!!

Guest alex

A 'best guitarist' thread and I dont think anyone has mentioned Eric Clapton :panic: I dont like his music, but isnt he supposed to be an awesome guitarist? And what about the one in Bon Jovi? Cant think of his name!!

Have you tried looking two posts up this page?

Richie Sambora (Jovi player) - canny

I'm told Clapton used to have a guy called Albert Lee on tour quite a lot (session blokey) I hear tell from one gig some mates were at that Albert played all the hard/flashy stuff. Clapton is still a good plaer though.

Ok, a list.

Jimmy Page.

Pete Townsend

Paul Kossoff

Eric Clapton

Jeff Beck

Angus Young

Hendrix

Scott Gorham

Gary Moore

Herman Li

Tom Morrello

Matt Bellamy

Jack White

David Gilmour....

Theres loads...

Have you tried looking two posts up this page?

yes sorry, i only skimmed over the thread quickly in my usual rush!

Dunno about then and now as my music taste lends its self more to then than now :panic: but here are some of my faves in no real order:

Mark Knopfler

Steve Vai

Slash

The Edge

Eric Clapton

Jimi Hendrix

Prince

Carlos Santana

David Gilmour

Dunno about then and now as my music taste lends its self more to then than now :panic: but here are some of my faves in no real order:

Mark Knopfler

Steve Vai

Slash

The Edge

Eric Clapton

Jimi Hendrix

Prince

Carlos Santana

David Gilmour

Hugely over-rated as proven by Bill Bailey :panic:

Edited by Toonpack

Bucket Head is bloody good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pytlmRmxZkA

Saw him live and thought he was absoloute tripe.

Watching that video I'll give him credit shows he's got some speed/stretching to be envied and I'd kill to be able to do it, but no sort of technique others couldn't kick his arse at, and the music is dull as ditchwater.

Mark Knopfler

Steve Vai

Slash

The Edge

Eric Clapton

Jimi Hendrix

Prince

Carlos Santana

David Gilmour

:panic:

Edited by JawD

Mark Knopfler

Steve Vai

Slash

The Edge

Eric Clapton

Jimi Hendrix

Prince

Carlos Santana

David Gilmour

<_<

blasphemy but... :panic: