What are you reading?

Brock Manson

15 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Haven't got round to them yet but have heard good things about:

Don't Know Tough by Eli Cranor

Razorblade Tears by S.A. Cosby

Bob Mortimer's novel is a daft easy read too but does not fall into your categories.

Those sound right up my street, cheers. As for Bob’s book, I read it over Xmas last year and enjoyed it well enough for a first time novel. Hope he has another one in him.

11 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

I'm going to completely ignore your genre criteria and just list some of the books I've read this year that I liked, to wit:

Gabrielle Zevin - Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow
John Darnielle - Devil House
Susanna Clarke - Piranesi
Bryan Washington - Memorial

Piranesi sounds like a class concept so I’ve put that on the list. 

Mind, the genre tags weren’t iron-clad, I just wanted to clarify some things before people waded in with 900 page high fantasy nonsense and shite autobiographies

• Haha 2

Got some good reading done on holiday: 

Never Let Me Go and Klara and the Sun - both by Kazuo Ishiguro, both superb.

Also put a dint in To Paradise, the third novel by Hanya Yangohara. I loved A little life. Maybe loved is the wrong word as it is extremely hard to read in places but this is much easier going so far. Another marathon 700+ pages 

11 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Got some good reading done on holiday: 

Never Let Me Go and Klara and the Sun - both by Kazuo Ishiguro, both superb.

Also put a dint in To Paradise, the third novel by Hanya Yangohara. I loved A little life. Maybe loved is the wrong word as it is extremely hard to read in places but this is much easier going so far. Another marathon 700+ pages 

Read the first two and loved them also but I’m not sitting round the pool, blasting out a 700+ page epic, my friend :lol: 

11 hours ago, strawb said:

I read nonsense fantasy novels about magical swords and dragons and that, have done since I was kid. If you want recommendations in that generally area, let me know.

Fire away strawbs lad

2 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Read the first two and loved them also but I’m not sitting round the pool, blasting out a 700+ page epic, my friend :lol: 

If you like a bit of noir (I know you said South American) but I think Dashiell Hammett is the original and the best. Start off with Maltese Falcon. Also if you fancy a bit of espionage from the Cold War era then give Len Deighton’s Funeral in Berlin a go. It’s not yet best film but it’s the best book of the quartet. Nice holiday reads imo 

Joe Abercrombie - Everything he writes is good, pretty dark

Mark Lawrence - Book of the Ancestor, Prince of Thorns, The Req Queens War

TC Edge - The Bladeborn Saga

Glen Cook - Chronicles of the black company

Ed McDonald - The Ravens Mark

Scott Lynch - The Lies of Locke Lamora

Terry Brooks - Shannara Series

Anthony Ryan - Ravens Shadow

Those are all series of books with multiple stories in

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Alex said:

If you like a bit of noir (I know you said South American) but I think Dashiell Hammett is the original and the best. Start off with Maltese Falcon. Also if you fancy a bit of espionage from the Cold War era then give Len Deighton’s Funeral in Berlin a go. It’s not yet best film but it’s the best book of the quartet. Nice holiday reads imo 

Already done Maltese Falcon but I might get it to read again and do some others in the series. Definitely into my spy fiction as well and almost bought Spy Who Came in From The Cold so may combine that and Funeral in Berlin.

Cheers chaps, I think that’s probably enough for two weeks :lol: 

26 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Already done Maltese Falcon but I might get it to read again and do some others in the series. Definitely into my spy fiction as well and almost bought Spy Who Came in From The Cold so may combine that and Funeral in Berlin.

Cheers chaps, I think that’s probably enough for two weeks :lol: 

The Spy Who Came in From the Cold is another good one. IPCRESS File is too from the sane series as Funeral in Berlin 

IPCRESS File is the best film in the series of ‘Palmer’ films (he’s only named in the films, his name isn’t revealed in the books). I think all the films are done  by different directors. Billion Dollar Brain is ridiculously outdated / worth a swerve in terms of the novel and film. 

40 minutes ago, Alex said:

The Spy Who Came in From the Cold is another good one.

I've had that sitting on my shelf for about five years. Finally going to get reading it in a couple of weeks on my kid free holiday.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, strawb said:

Joe Abercrombie - Everything he writes is good, pretty dark

Mark Lawrence - Book of the Ancestor, Prince of Thorns, The Req Queens War

TC Edge - The Bladeborn Saga

Glen Cook - Chronicles of the black company

Ed McDonald - The Ravens Mark

Scott Lynch - The Lies of Locke Lamora

Terry Brooks - Shannara Series

Anthony Ryan - Ravens Shadow

Those are all series of books with multiple stories in

I've been waiting for the latest of these for 10 years 

27 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

:lol:
What’s it called, he might need something the pass the time when he’s fleeing a wildfire? 

🎶

This isn't the greatest novel in the world, no, this a novela.

🎵

jack black rock GIF

• Haha 4

I tried reading my first ever fantasy stuff recently. The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson.

I read the first two books and two thirds of the last one, about 1,900 pages in total, before deciding that I couldn't give a fuck how it all ended up.

I can't tell you how much of a relief it was go to back to a real-world book where people have normal names and get up to normal shit.

• Haha 5