What are you reading?

Brock Manson

Only ever read one 'Mort', bit shit in all honesty.

159179[/snapback]

You've held back a bit, haven't you? I was expecting a 'populist tripe' rant. :(

Just finished 'Tropic of Cancer' by Henry Miller. Always thought Miller was shit having read the rather dull 'Daisy Miller' by Henry James (how stoopid?) as a young 'un. Thought it was class. Basically down and out and pissed and shagging whores in Paris (mainly). Cath would love it due to the constant references to the protaganists lays as 'cunts'.

Just coming to the end of In Cold Blood by Truman Capote.  One of the best books I've read. :(  Has anyone seen the movie Capote?  It's on my list at Screenselect, just wondering if it's any good?

159167[/snapback]

I've got Capote at home (Amazon Rental) and I'm probably going to watch it tonight, so I'll let you know. Keep meaning to read 'In Cold Blood'. The only book by him I've read is 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' which is well worth reading a bit darker than the movie.

159175[/snapback]

It's well worth a read. Probably before you watch the film tbh, based on what I've heard the film content is - supposedly it calls into question Capote's morals re waiting for them both to get executed so that he can finish his book and actually get the recognition for it, even though he'd befriended one of them. :o

I like True Crime stuff anyway, but most of it's poorly written whereas this is a modern classic, I suppose.

Only ever read one 'Mort', bit shit in all honesty.

159179[/snapback]

You've held back a bit, haven't you? I was expecting a 'populist tripe' rant. ;)

159182[/snapback]

Aye, he laid off me a bit there. :( I'd always avoided Pratchett for that very reason but a lass at work owns everything he's ever done :o so I thought 'why not?' It's not that bad actually, although I can't say I'd be inclined to keep buying the series.

Aye, he laid off me a bit there.  :( I'd always avoided Pratchett for that very reason but a lass at work owns everything he's ever done  :o so I thought 'why not?' It's not that bad actually, although I can't say I'd be inclined to keep buying the series.

159200[/snapback]

I've noticed he tends to attract that kind of fan. I'd like to admit I enjoyed a few of his books when I was younger, but I fear the weight of Alex's intellect will bear down on me ;) so I'm keeping schtum.

Started reading the new Nick Hornby book but left it by the pool on holiday and someone nicked it! So read a book by ken follett called Hammer of Eden cos it was the only non 'romantic novel' in the hotel lobby. Was ok in the end actually.

Dennis Wise autobiog was there as well but i dont think i could have read a whole book about how hard he is and how many people he headbutted whilst out on the lash with the crazy gang.

Aye, he laid off me a bit there.  :( I'd always avoided Pratchett for that very reason but a lass at work owns everything he's ever done  :o so I thought 'why not?' It's not that bad actually, although I can't say I'd be inclined to keep buying the series.

159200[/snapback]

I've noticed he tends to attract that kind of fan. I'd like to admit I enjoyed a few of his books when I was younger, but I fear the weight of Alex's intellect will bear down on me ;) so I'm keeping schtum.

159206[/snapback]

Same as my attitude with loads of books really, especially re: kids reading Harry Potter etc. i.e. much better than not reading at all. I'm considering reading that Bill Bryson science book btw. Doubt I'll be arsed to read another of his travel books like.

Chuck Palahniuk - Fight Club

Brilliant movie, and thought I should read the book to see how close they based it on.

So far, very closely indeed. The film handled the meeting of Tyler better mind, but it's a good book. :(

Brilliant movie, and thought I should read the book to see how close they based it on.

So far, very closely indeed. The film handled the meeting of Tyler better mind, but it's a good book.  :(

159225[/snapback]

'Lullaby' is good by him too. That and 'Fight Club' are the only ones I've read.

Survivor is his best IMO, but they're all brilliant, one of my favourite modern authors. He cites Amy Hempel as one of his main influences, also well worth a read.

So far, very closely indeed. The film handled the meeting of Tyler better mind, but it's a good book.  :(

159225[/snapback]

'Lullaby' is good by him too. That and 'Fight Club' are the only ones I've read.

159228[/snapback]

I'll pick it up next time I'm down Waterstones. They had a few by him that were on offer. :o

Survivor is his best IMO, but they're all brilliant, one of my favourite modern authors.  He cites Amy Hempel as one of his main influences, also well worth a read.

159232[/snapback]

Amy Hempel is meant to be class. Must give her a go too. I've got about 20 books to read at the minute though.

I'm currently through the first 2 of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels. They're canny actually, although not as funny as I'd hoped they'd be. Still, canny witty.

159170[/snapback]

Which ones, i'm a fan of the series but would say he hits his best form later on in the series and then maintains it, with the odd exception.

It was because of Jack Johnson that the phrase 'great white hope' began iirc.

Aye, and it had a big impact on Joe Louis.

No black boxer after Johnson was allowed anywhere near the World Heavyweight title until Louis got his chance in the 30s.

Johnson was a very brash, loud and colourful figure, which of course, with him being black angered a lot of whites who thought he was 'uppity' and cause blacks to get 'uppity', and grow in confidence.

Louis had it drilled into him by his manager and trainers not to react, not to even smile after a win or be photographed with any white women, and show no emotion in public. This was so that he didn't offend whites, and he earned the name 'deadpan Joe'.

Despite that, he still became a huge hero to blacks across America who would go mad after his victories and angered whites.

Reporters refered to him as an animal and a savage. When he thought the German, Max Schmeling in 1936, the American press favoured Schmeling, as a gentleman and everything a man and a champion should be.

Interesting though that when they fought a rematch in 1938, a lot of people were wising up to the Nazis and suddenly the American press were becoming more patriotic and Louis was seen more as an American and less as a nigger. They billed the fight as democracy vs dictatorship.

Interesting stuff. I did a big assignment for uni on the impact of Black sports stars in the African American struggle for freedom.

Anyway, I'm way off topic.

Right now I'm re-reading The Outsider by Albert Camus, which I haven't read for absolutely ages.

Cathedral - Nelson De Mille (not his best but OK)

Just finished the Emperor Series of novels by Conn Iggulden, about the life of Julius Ceasar - stunningly good read(s) - Even my youngest (19) devoured them too

Edited by Toonpack

• 1 month later...
Just got round to reading the last chapter of centre of the earth, on to book four of the wheel of time now, bought the 11th book nearly a year ago but could not remember what happend so i have been slowly reading them up again.

159173[/snapback]

On book five "The fires of Heaven" now.