Kindle: Amazon's Well-Established Wireless Reading Device

khay

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one. I finished my first Kindle book today. Joyous scenes.

Nice.

Do you normally just put it to sleep or switch it all the way off?

It basically looks like a electronic item in a shop that has a piece of card over the screen.

Tempted to invest. I tend to read in fits and starts though, I usually plow through the best part of half a dozen on holiday and then not pick one up for months. Reckon it would be worth it?

Depends how much 100 pounds is worth to you. You might find if you have all your books at hand you would find more time to read.

Mine was a gift/early x-mas present (I think it probs will be low if not out of stock by then).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of getting one of these (or similar) for a christmas gift.

I'm presuming that the Kindle is the one to get? Or are one of the other e-readers better?

The main question I need answering is how does it work with what titles are available on what platform?

Have certain publishers signed up exclusively with Amazon or Sony or whoever else?

Barnes and Noble has released its new Nook Color to compete vs Amazon’s Kindle 3, a move that recently shocked many consumers and critics alike.

The Kindle 3 seemed to be sitting pretty, all features and prices ever so slightly one-upping the Nook. The Kindle released a new model that was WiFi only at a cheap price, with improved contrast, smaller and sleeker design, lighter weight, more standard memory, battery life that lasts up to a month on one charge, and in a couple colors to boot.

Barnes and Noble released its own low priced WiFi version in response. However the rest of the device remained the same except for the software update that happened in April from Barnes and Noble, fixing many of the reported bugs from a year earlier. Many looked at Barnes and Noble and thought, “that’s it?”.

Well, it seems that Barnes and Noble had something up its sleeve after all, the Nook Color. The new device has a high resolution IPS color touch screen, allowing for a 178 degree viewing angle. The device has an expandable memory starting at 8GB, a feature that could have Apple sweating with its memory-based pricing structure.

But the Nook Color is no iPad. It has a 7 inch screen and doesn’t have thousands of applications to choose from. However, the device can indeed play video, store pictures, play audio, and surf the web and email, much like the iPad.

So why would someone buy the Kindle 3? It will come down to a choice for the consumer. Amazon is banking on the fact that many people read books for the enjoyment of reading alone. They hope consumers will want a dedicated device to reading books.

The Nook Color has opened up possibilities for the reading experience, and closed off other possibilities as well. For instance, the consumer can read a full color digital magazine on the device, however the battery life is now only 8 hours with wireless turned off, reducing freedom from the electrical socket. There is obviously a give and take.

You can click for prices, information, and a more detailed comparison of the Nook Color vs Kindle 3 .

http://www.thenewsforyou.com/the-nook-colo...y-season/11980/

I'll pm you some links to collections of books you can download for nowt. Will do it tonight.

If they aren't the usual collection of 200 year old "classics", I wouldn't mind a look.

I am thinking of buying a Kindle, but worry I would miss the whole book experience, my son said the same. Im torn really.

Now you know how Natalie Imbruglia felt, but I know what you you mean about old book covers and that, but, it would be good having them all in the same place. :lol:

Cheers, Gemmill. :lol:

I am thinking of buying a Kindle, but worry I would miss the whole book experience, my son said the same. Im torn really.

Now you know how Natalie Imbruglia felt, but I know what you you mean about old book covers and that, but, it would be good having them all in the same place. :lol:

Yep I'm as torn as dear ole Natalie :lol:

You mean you're lying naked on the floor?

:lol:

You mean you're lying naked on the floor?

:lol:

I walked into that one didnt I? :lol: