Kindle: Amazon's Well-Established Wireless Reading Device

khay

Oi, He of the Flaming Pube, give me ebooks!

if those links I sent on are dead already, you want to sign up for the forum mentioned at the start of the pm.

think gemmill only sent those last week, so they must get updated regularly

I did a quick searches on there, and the selection seems pretty wide

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I get in on the link love please. Mrs Paws took my hints and bought me one. Amazon still haven't feckin' delivered it yet despite it being billed as arriving before the 22nd (my birthday). Not that I'm impatient or nothing......... .....alright WHERE MY FECKIN BIRTHDAY PRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!

sod it... I'll just have to have another Gin & Tonic then ;)

Just sent out a blanket PM to some of you e-reading dweebs.

If you didn't get said PM, and you want it, post "I want Gemmill to sex me up", and I'll make shit happen for you.

cheers for that ;)

this program has been very useful to me for sorting collections out, as the kindle software doesn't do a great job itself:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94261

• 4 weeks later...

Oh I forgot to say. I had bother with mine. It kept freezing, and I'd have to charge it for half an hour to sort of wake it back up. It wasn't out of battery cos when it eventually came back on it almost had a full charge.

Anyway I rang Amazon about it. The lass asked what case I had, and I explained I had the standard Kindle case without the light. Well it turns out there's a problem with those cases and they somehow interfere with the Kindle. She told me to take it out of the case and use it for the next couple of days and she'd ring me back to check how it had gone. It worked perfectly, which bearing in mind that the problem had been a daily occurrence was enough to convince me she was right. So they refunded me for that case and put a credit of £21 on my account, which was enough to buy the one with the light on it.

I bought that one and have had no bother since.

Absolutely loving it so far, I can't agree more with people about how good the E-Ink concept is.

Even though the case was expensive, the light on it has been a God send for on a night time.

Friend of mine playfully punched me in the chest while my Kindle was in my breast pocket. I didn't realise until the morning the screen was sufficiently damaged as to ruin the bloody thing.

I go to the Amazon site and email the "contact us" link when I get to work in the morning. Not a complaint or anything like that, just a "Hey my kindle is broken, what are the processes I need to go through and the requirements to get a replacement?". Within 5 minutes I get a phone call to my mobile and the guy is incredibly apologetic, almost fawning in his tone.

"I hear your Kindle is broken, I'm so sorry, we'll get a replacement out to you as soon as possible"

"Um great, do you need me to fill in a form?"

"No, no, nothing like that Sir, we'll deliver the new device and you return the old one"

"Ok, where do I need to send it to? and how long after until I get the new one?"

"Well sir, the new one will come first thing tomorrow and as long as we have received the old one within 30 days, that'll be fine"

"Ok, great, how much.."

"No charge sir"

"Great, what's the address I need to send it to?"

"Don't worry about that sir, we'll email the label to you and you can print it off and cello-tape it to the box of the new device. You keep all the wires and accessories, we just need the device itself sir"

"Um, that's fantastic."

"Do you want it to your home address, your billing address or can we send it to your office, sir?"

"Um, home address"

"That's done sir, it'll be there tomorrow, sorry again for the inconvenience"

Sure enough brand new Kindle shows up the next day, the minute it gets power the doohickey recognises who it belongs to and downloads all my books and collections.

Literally best customer service I've ever received, literally Richard.

Eh? Even though it was your fault? Canny.

Yup, they didn't even ask how it happened. They just apologised that it was broken... as if it was their fault.

Admittedly they did go through a few "Have you tried switching it off and on again" style suggestions before setting off on the grovelling escapade above, but still. Excellent service.

I think they're sporting a black eye at the minute over this whole defective case thing, so they've probably started insta replacing any kindles with problems.

I suppose they're also looking to own their marketplace in the same way the iPod owns it's sector.

If it means insta-replacing and bending over backwards in the short term, I suppose it's ultimately beneficial.

Mind you, my friend buys most things from Amazon (where possible) and when I told him about the service I received, he seemed to believe it was nothing out of the ordinary for them.