Kindle: Amazon's Well-Established Wireless Reading Device

khay

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I eventually got ine at the third time of asking. After the 1st went AWOL the 2nd was DOA. It literally didnt boot up the 1st time it was switched on as was permanently hung on 20% progress bar. Amazon asked about the case (I didnt know about the problems at the time) but mine wasnt in one. They replaced it within 2 days and this one has been great. I have the leather, none light case and its great.

Use Calibre to manage your library rather than the Kindle app. It handles metadata muh better, does all kinds of conversions and theres a handly little plugin for stripping the drm out of kindle books ;) Available for Mac, PC & Linux.

We have a nice little book share on the go at work. One person buys a book and we all share it.

whats the point really? You don't normally read 1000 books all at once

odd for someone who likes to present himself as such a scholar to not see the value of being able to carry so many technical papers and reference materials in something so small

even us peasants can throw a few trashy romance novels on it for our week in benidorm and have constant access to wikipedia to boot

it's almost like you're trolling just for the sake of it :icon_lol:

whats the point really? You don't normally read 1000 books all at once

odd for someone who likes to present himself as such a scholar to not see the value of being able to carry so many technical papers and reference materials in something so small

even us peasants can throw a few trashy romance novels on it for our week in benidorm and have constant access to wikipedia to boot

it's almost like you're trolling just for the sake of it ;)

:) Why have an ipod/mp3 player? You can only listen to one song at a time.

• 4 months later...
Anyone use any of the Newspaper subscriptions?

Still think this is one of the best devices ever!

Colour kindle coming out end of the year. Probably pick one of those up and subscribe to a few "periodicals" :rolleyes:

its The Guardian one I'm trying free for two weeks at the moment. Tenner a month is not too bad and seems easy enough to get a round. However don't think it be much use to me unless I had to get the train/bus to work. But about 30p a day its pretty good.

Wrong. :rolleyes: That's the whole point in them. The screen looks exactly like a book.

Ah, I didn't appreciate that.

But what happens when you're lying in bed of a night, reading, and that moment occurs when you fall asleep and the 'thing' you're reading lands on your head? A book just gives you a dunch, but this Kindle thingy could result in stitches!

Was about to post similar. I just like books. I think wor lass would rather I got a Kindle like as I've got 100s of them.

The free 3g thing is good as you can check cricket/football scores and check emails etc. on it but again, that's nothing I can't do on my phone.

Not putting it down btw as I bought my dad one last year and he loves it

Was about to post similar. I just like books. I think wor lass would rather I got a Kindle like as I've got 100s of them.

I was the same. I wasn't interested in one until I saw one. A couple of the lads in the office had them and the screen is fantastic.

Now I have one, I'd not be without it. I've just started on the Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin (Game of Thrones is pt1) and I have all 5 books on the Kindle. I also have 4/5 books for work on there too.

Mind you, I get the train every day, so its perfect for me. I also read on a night time though and I can confirm when you fall asleep with it, you do not require stitches in the morning.

I was the same. I wasn't interested in one until I saw one. A couple of the lads in the office had them and the screen is fantastic.

Now I have one, I'd not be without it. I've just started on the Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin (Game of Thrones is pt1) and I have all 5 books on the Kindle. I also have 4/5 books for work on there too.

Mind you, I get the train every day, so its perfect for me. I also read on a night time though and I can confirm when you fall asleep with it, you do not require stitches in the morning.

I've seen them like. I'm not that interested all the same though. I read a lot on the metro too but I'd rather just buy the book. I'm probably being a luddite for the sake of it, admittedly.

Also, it is possible to own a kindle and also have a good selection of books at home too... Kind of like having an iPod and owning a Vinyl collection imo.