5/6/7/11 a side footy thread

smoggeordie

I played left back first half last night, and had to go in nets for the 2nd.

Let 2 in(nothing I could do about them-2 close range shots from shite defending). However there was a drop-ball in the centre circle after a clash of heads, and their player was kicking it back to me, he fucking smashed it though and it went straight in :unsure:

I think it was intentional, and their team all called him a cunt and said to either give us a goal or else to chalk it off. The ref decided to chalk it off.

fml, though.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of touching on the lack of decent British footballers debate on here..I personally think there are some technically brilliant and naturally gifted players playing in 5/6/7-a-side leagues in this region...it seems more so that in 11-a-side. Could be a number of reasons for that.

Kind of touching on the lack of decent British footballers debate on here..I personally think there are some technically brilliant and naturally gifted players playing in 5/6/7-a-side leagues in this region...it seems more so that in 11-a-side. Could be a number of reasons for that.

well imo its has been said in the thread by a few, little players or players who arent fast/strong are told they "cant play football" in this country so you look at people who play 5/6/7 a side with their mates or through a club and they're the rejects from the 11 a side game

xavi, iniesta and fabregas to name but a few would all have been told so if they were english

erm. . . SWP, Aaron Lennon, Ashley Cole, Jermaine Defoe, Theo Walcott. And those are just the ones who made it into the national team.

did you miss where I put "fast"?

erm. . . SWP, Aaron Lennon, Ashley Cole, Jermaine Defoe, Theo Walcott. And those are just the ones who made it into the national team.

in fact the likes of SWP, Walcott and Lennon are perfect examples for my point, all one dimensional pace no actual ability with the ball

I wouldn't say they had no ability. The 3 you named are probably in the top 6 or 7 players in the world. Lots of countries could claim to have no players at their level

:D you think SWP, Lennon and Walcott are in the top 6/7 players in the world?

I wouldn't say they had no ability. The 3 you named are probably in the top 6 or 7 players in the world. Lots of countries could claim to have no players at their level

:D you think SWP, Lennon and Walcott are in the top 6/7 players in the world?

No that's the 3 I named. I said the 3 you named

SWP was told he was too small as a bairn and released by Notts Forest (I think).

I feel sorry for SWP.

Same thing is happening to him again at Man City.

Only went to Chelsea for the money though so tough titties.

so the 3 spaniards right

you seem to have missed my point then which was, how many talented or potentially talented footballers, the kind the national side is crying out for now, have been dropped out of the coaching system as kids because they were a bit too short or not that quick

my point wasnt anything to do with whether or not most countries don't have players at their level

And my point was that that isn't the case, as proved by the number of short players we have in the national team. The problem we have with the system in this country isn't that we kick out smaller kids when they are young, that's a bit of a fallacy from the 90s. My lasses kid brother has played for the Boro, Sunderland and Newcastle development programmes and they arent full of hulking 10 year olds with tache's. The problem is the type of coaching we give these small kids, which you picked up on when you commented that SWP, Lennon, Walcott are all effectively the same one dimensional player.

And my point was that that isn't the case, as proved by the number of short players we have in the national team. The problem we have with the system in this country isn't that we kick out smaller kids when they are young, that's a bit of a fallacy from the 90s. My lasses kid brother has played for the Boro, Sunderland and Newcastle development programmes and they arent full of hulking 10 year olds with tache's. The problem is the type of coaching we give these small kids, which you picked up on when you commented that SWP, Lennon, Walcott are all effectively the same one dimensional player.

He also mentioned pace though (in the same sentence) which you either didn't see or decided to ignore, yet all the players you've mentioned live off their pace. So you did miss his point really.

Well think it goes without saying that players who are too short to be good in the air, with no footballing skill and no pace to beat a man will probably get dropped from any team. That's not exactly rocket science. But as I said, that's not why we havent got players as good as Xavi or Iniesta in this country.

It's down to the coaching system. Or did you miss that point in order to have another tiresome dig?

Well think it goes without saying that players who are too short to be good in the air, with no footballing skill and no pace to beat a man will probably get dropped from any team. That's not exactly rocket science. But as I said, that's not why we havent got players as good as Xavi or Iniesta in this country.

It's down to the coaching system. Or did you miss that point in order to have another tiresome dig?

No but when he said you either have to be strong or fast you listed a load of fast players and then said that negated his point (I'm paraphrasing btw), which it clearly didn't; it reinforced it. I made the point about the dearth of decent coaching before you did too. My point was a counter to your claim that the problem was too much 5/6/7-a-side football being played. I'm not saying either my point or Andrew's is rocket science but if anything you're the one tying yourself up in knots by trying to be contrary. Which is your default mode on here anyway. Nice try though :D

Edited by alex

So what would your suggestion be to get more players of the ilk of Xavi and Iniesta in this country?

Look at what Spain are doing and copy it. Again, not rocket science and again, it won't happen.

come on KD get on the ball, its players with actual ball ability that i'm suggesting suffer