The Official Allardyce out thread

Jimbo

Post-match comments

Sam Allardyce:

"Newcastle United fans have every right to criticise the team - and it's only to be expected after poor displays like that against Liverpool.

That's very magnanimous of you Sam, but I think the disapproval was aimed at YOU more than the team

"It changes on results, though. Two games ago it was great, and two games later it's a disaster. But I see it as a blip which we have to put right.

2 games ago we lost 4-1 at home and the team were booed off, after being shown up by Reading.

Cloud cuckoo land.

"It changes on results, though. Two games ago it was great, and two games later it's a disaster. But I see it as a blip which we have to put right.

2 games ago we lost 4-1 at home and the team were booed off, after being shown up by Reading.

Cloud cuckoo land.

In the full interview I am sure he had been talking about home match form and was saying how after two good wins against Everton and Spurs the next next home matches later and its a disaster.

Cloud cuckoo land.

In the full interview I am sure he had been talking about home match form and was saying how after two good wins against Everton and Spurs the next next home matches later and its a disaster.

And here's me thinking he couldn't be less concerned with winning points away.

Cloud cuckoo land.

And here's me thinking he couldn't be less concerned with winning points away.

Or that wasn't remotely what he was asked about. At all.

:lol:

Fans' fury threatens early end to the Allardyce era

By Michael Walker

Published: 26 November 2007

Newcastle United sent out the message on Saturday night that Sam Allardyce "is not on the brink" but Allardyce may have as little as a fortnight left at St James' Park to convince Newcastle's new owner that he can turn around a situation that appears to be unravelling.

In turn Mike Ashley and his chairman Chris Mort have to assess how the key figure at their football club can recover from the mockery and abuse that Allardyce attracted on Saturday during Newcastle's capitulation to Liverpool.

Chants of "You don't know what you're doing," "Big Sam for England" and ironic applause for a late series of Newcastle passes came from home fans who are unlikely to be won over by Allardyce's post-match reaction regarding his popularity on Tyneside.

"You're not popular when you're not doing well," he said. "If people don't like me, it's up to them. But it doesn't bother me."

Mort stressed after the previous home game, the 4-1 loss to Portsmouth, that there would be no "knee-jerk reaction", and Allardyce has been in charge for just 15 games, but a question is whether Saturday's 3-0 loss was so dramatic that it changed the boundaries of thought inside the St James' boardroom.

When Ryan Babel scored to make it 3-0 the atmosphere inside the stadium was toxic and Allardyce looked shell-shocked as he stood in front of the dugout. He still had some of that air about him afterwards but had regained enough of his characteristic bullishness to say of the Newcastle manager's job: "I'm good enough and big enough for it.

"It's not easy, you don't like it [the criticism], none of us do. It's a fact of life here. I've come here to live with that pressure. I could have sat comfortably where I was, picked up my money and stayed at Bolton. I didn't want to do that. I wanted a bigger challenge and this is one."

That sounds feisty but just one problem with Allardyce's attitude towards personal popularity is that it could have an economic downside. Shifting merchandise, Ashley's speciality, becomes harder and the mood among the 5,000-plus supporters going to Blackburn on Saturday will be, at best, one of apprehension.

Another defeat or poor performance at Ewood Park and the tangible unease may escalate into unrest. Arsenal follow four days later and then Birmingham visit St James' Park. Suddenly that game looks significant.

Perhaps only a statement of long-term commitment to Allardyce from Ashley himself could alter the climate and such an intervention would put the owner at odds with thousands of Newcastle fans.

However, what Ashley would do by saying something of that nature is eradicate the swirl of rumour around the club.

It would also send out a message to Allardyce and his squad that the manager may outlast most of the players on Tyneside. Several of them are jaundiced.

"I spoke to Mike before the game," Allardyce said of Ashley, "I spoke to the chairman as well. We speak all the time. Some people are coming up with disruptive rumours as always, Chinese whispers, and that's bound to be the case and it's not good, is it?

"But we've only just come together and I never said to them that it would be easy. I don't think they thought it would be. We've taken over a club and we have to try to move it forward to where it wants to go."

Shay Given spoke for the dressing room when he said: "I have been here 10 years, but for some of the new players that was a lesson about the expectation levels here. That performance was right down there with the worst of them."

Sam Allardyce feels pressure piling up

The Telegraph

By Tim Rich

Newcastle United (0) 0 Liverpool (1) 3

All he wanted was an easy night's sleep; to wake up on Sunday morning without worry or regret. But on this Sunday morning, Sam Allardyce would have read how the Bolton team he built, using

At Bolton, he only once lost a home match to Liverpool. He had frustrated coach Rafael Benitez, who had refused to shake his hand, or share a glass of wine and been reduced to impotent outbursts about Bolton's bullying tactics. Big Sam cared not a jot about the Liverpool manager; he had the points.

Not any more, not after a performance that Shay Given thought was the worst Newcastle had delivered in his 10 years keeping goal against Liverpool. Had Fernando Torres possessed a modicum of luck or Given's form been less acute, Liverpool would have matched the seven-goal rout played out at Goodison in another one-sided contest between Merseyside and the North-East.

"I never liked losing football matches," said Allardyce, after his 13th Premier League match as Newcastle manager, which proved as poor as the 10th, 11th and 12th. "I want to get up on a Sunday and feel good about myself. I don't want to get up and feel dejected, upset and worried." He turned to respond to a question. "What are we trying to do? We are trying to play football. We didn't do it very well."

Of all the chants of derision that St James' Park had aimed at Allardyce; the ones about him being sacked in the morning, or going off to manage England, perhaps the only one that would have stung was the cry of, "You should have stayed at the Reebok".

"That kind of thing is a fact of life here," said Allardyce, nursing his cup of coffee. "I could have sat comfortably where I was, picked up my money and stayed at Bolton. I wanted a bigger challenge and this is the one. I am good enough and big enough for it.

"The reaction doesn't surprise me. The supporters want so much and they want it so soon. I have to make sure the confidence doesn't drain from the players because, if it does, everything becomes very difficult."

In Given's decade at Newcastle, they had spent more than £62 million on defenders. Essentially, Given has played behind a new defence in every one of his seasons at St James' yet few would have performed as wretchedly as David Rozehnal, Habib Beye and Jose Enrique did here.

They are all Allardyce's players but, crucially, none arrived with any Premier League experience. They desperately require time to bed in, but Allardyce will find that time moves at a faster rate on Tyneside than anywhere else.

The club's owner, Mike Ashley, who had seen £100 million wiped from the value of his company, Sports Direct since England's elimination from the European Championship, is "sharp learning" football's true cost. There is no question of him adding to it by removing Allardyce - that would be ludicrous timing.

But reports of tension between owner and manager; of unhappy players confused by new training methods, remain. "Disruptive rumours, as always. Chinese whispers," said Allardyce. "It's not good, is it?"

I was one of those who preferred Sam Allardyce over Sven at the time. Sven is a proven winner but needs money to achieve things. Fat Fred was chairman and Newcastle's finances were not the greatest. The club didn't have money to spend, and Sam had done wonders with very little money at Bolton as well as having the best injury record while he was there. I thought it was a match made in heaven.

His tactics have got me completely baffled though, especially the last three games.

I don't want to see any change, not until the season's over. Give Sam that time to put things right, but if not than he should fall on his own sword...

I was one of those who preferred Sam Allardyce over Sven at the time. Sven is a proven winner but needs money to achieve things. Fat Fred was chairman and Newcastle's finances were not the greatest. The club didn't have money to spend, and Sam had done wonders with very little money at Bolton as well as having the best injury record while he was there. I thought it was a match made in heaven.

His tactics have got me completely baffled though, especially the last three games.

I don't want to see any change, not until the season's over. Give Sam that time to put things right, but if not than he should fall on his own sword...

90 % agree.

lets face it,what a bunch of fickle fuk faced cunts we are...at times im ashamed to be a newcastle fan...fukin fast food generation of spotty faced cunts.....how about a new manager every month? fukin wankers

If you want to make that sort of statement then fine but it would be preferable that you did it under your proper account name rather than hiding behind another one, best do that eh?

That wasn't me if that's what you think, it's me dad.

lets face it,what a bunch of fickle fuk faced cunts we are...at times im ashamed to be a newcastle fan...fukin fast food generation of spotty faced cunts.....how about a new manager every month? fukin wankers

If you want to make that sort of statement then fine but it would be preferable that you did it under your proper account name rather than hiding behind another one, best do that eh?

;)

<_<

What? ;)

;)

What? ;)

I know it was your Dad man,

Just PP's paranoia <_<

;)

What? ;)

Then dads a potty mouth <_<

90 % agree.

Is the 10% the part where I say I want him to stay until the end of the season?

90 % agree.

Is the 10% the part where I say I want him to stay until the end of the season?

Sorry I thought you said last three home games. I thought he did all right when we beat spurs.

I believe that in order to get a realistic impression of what Sam Allardyce has done for us so far this season in 13 games you have to forget about any injuries incurred before he joined us, forget about any injuries incurred after he joined us, forget about his questionable starting line-ups, forget about his questionable out of position playing, forget about his questionable substitutions, forget about the players he let go, forget about the impatience of some, and focus on factual reality.

He brought in Cacapa, Beye, Faye, Rozenhal, and Enrique to add to and strengthen our existing defence. Goals scored against us so far this season do not show any signs of a successful change in accomplishment.. 7 goals against in two games on our home turf cannot be construed as progress in the right direction, quite the opposite. FACT.

He brought in Barton, Geremi and perhaps Smith, to bolster our existing mid-field and as yet we have been unable to, control the middle, failed to be creative, stamp authority on the game, feed the forwards in a manner best suited to them, and in general not doing as good a job as they should be. FACT.

He brought in Viduka and perhaps Smith, to give us more stength to the existing front line but the number of goals being scored in recent games is not indicative of a very effective firing line. This however could be related to lack of service from the engine room, poor crossing from the wings, and prayer long-balls from the back. FACT.

I don't particularly want to get rid of Big Sam but I do want him to shape-up, shape-up the team, show me he isn't the big mistake a lot of people are beginning to think he was.

I believe that in order to get a realistic impression of what Sam Allardyce has done for us so far this season in 13 games you have to forget about any injuries incurred before he joined us, forget about any injuries incurred after he joined us, forget about his questionable starting line-ups, forget about his questionable out of position playing, forget about his questionable substitutions, forget about the players he let go, forget about the impatience of some, and focus on factual reality.

He brought in Cacapa, Beye, Faye, Rozenhal, and Enrique to add to and strengthen our existing defence. Goals scored against us so far this season do not show any signs of a successful change in accomplishment.. 7 goals against in two games on our home turf cannot be construed as progress in the right direction, quite the opposite. FACT.

He brought in Barton, Geremi and perhaps Smith, to bolster our existing mid-field and as yet we have been unable to, control the middle, failed to be creative, stamp authority on the game, feed the forwards in a manner best suited to them, and in general not doing as good a job as they should be. FACT.

He brought in Viduka and perhaps Smith, to give us more stength to the existing front line but the number of goals being scored in recent games is not indicative of a very effective firing line. This however could be related to lack of service from the engine room, poor crossing from the wings, and prayer long-balls from the back. FACT.

I don't particularly want to get rid of Big Sam but I do want him to shape-up, shape-up the team, show me he isn't the big mistake a lot of people are beginning to think he was.

I'd not argue with most of that, except we've been scoring plenty. We scored 3 goals in 4 of our first 9 games which is hardly barren.

Even in the disappointing last 4 games, we've scored in all but one of them.

Edited by Happy Face

.com :

If Allardyce is to be given the time he wishes and requires to do the job he was brought here for, then there has to be some immediate sign of progression, some immediate payback to mute the malcontents and reward those not leaping on the anti-Sam bandwagon.

Our signoff line after the defeat at Derby was to: "try and remain in positive mode - not giving underachievers & shirkers an easy ride, but acknowledging effort and providing encouragement."

That should apply to the manager as much as the fans - and if it's not forthcoming from the latter, it's the job of the chairman and owner to decide who is at fault and act accordingly.

A man who built his managerial career begging in the pubs of Limerick or existing on shoestring budgets at Blackpool and Notts County needs to urgently rediscover some of his organisation and motivational abilities, if he's not to find events spiralling out of control between now and Christmas.

Pre-match, Allardyce made no secret of the fact he and the Liverpool boss don't get on - but his team hardly came out of the blocks as if they were intent on fighting his corner. That speaks volumes.

Never mind formations, ice baths or Prozone coefficients, if the manager can't instill fight or guts (that all-inclusive term "passion") into his team at Ewood or when the Gunners come here, then he's wasting his time here - and ours.

Not winning is bad enough - playing like a bunch of losers is utterly unacceptable.

• 4 weeks later...