Shearer ready to step in with Allardyce one game from the sack

Jimbo

Aye, it's a long road back for him, assuming there is a road back. I was telling people in the pub after the Liverpool game that it was kicking-off near me after the chanting of 'You don't know what you're doing' etc. Never quite seen anything like it at a homegame and never as early in a manager's reign. The majority of people were anti-Allardyce like with a few people ready to take on all-comers on the other side. I just sat there in disbelief really; at everything.

Aye, I heard that. Sometimes you've just got to keep your mouth shut. Lad behind me has turned into a right bitter bastid, he's gone from being a piss taker and laughing about it when things are going bad like us to pretty viciously booing Geremi, Barton (before the comments) and Owen. Seems like even the more 'sensible' fans are getting frustrated at the moment.

It is getting far worse amongst the fans in terms of the general attitude. A large majority now at the match just turn so quickly on the team and manager in a game its like its on a hair trigger and will go at the slightest thing. Back in the day it could actually take a long while for a majority in the ground to be on their back.

I think i'm actually quite lucky in that where i sit its by and large the same people and whilst like everyone we've all been taken over by the depression and anger of recent years there isnt particularly arguments between people or any nastiness directed to each other, and thats in quite a wide area from my seat. The last argument i remember was me with some fat bloke who kept defending Souness, he doesn't go to the match anymore now!

:birthday: I thought Gemmill still went to the odd game? B)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, it's a long road back for him, assuming there is a road back. I was telling people in the pub after the Liverpool game that it was kicking-off near me after the chanting of 'You don't know what you're doing' etc. Never quite seen anything like it at a homegame and never as early in a manager's reign. The majority of people were anti-Allardyce like with a few people ready to take on all-comers on the other side. I just sat there in disbelief really; at everything.

Aye, I heard that. Sometimes you've just got to keep your mouth shut. Lad behind me has turned into a right bitter bastid, he's gone from being a piss taker and laughing about it when things are going bad like us to pretty viciously booing Geremi, Barton (before the comments) and Owen. Seems like even the more 'sensible' fans are getting frustrated at the moment.

It is getting far worse amongst the fans in terms of the general attitude. A large majority now at the match just turn so quickly on the team and manager in a game its like its on a hair trigger and will go at the slightest thing. Back in the day it could actually take a long while for a majority in the ground to be on their back.

I think i'm actually quite lucky in that where i sit its by and large the same people and whilst like everyone we've all been taken over by the depression and anger of recent years there isnt particularly arguments between people or any nastiness directed to each other, and thats in quite a wide area from my seat. The last argument i remember was me with some fat bloke who kept defending Souness, he doesn't go to the match anymore now!

Gemmill sits in the East Stand now.

:birthday:

Now come on be fair...i said fat, not fat and ginger!

one word that best sums up the atmosphere at st james for me these days: bitter.

I think Crouch's description to Barton of poisonous/venemous was pretty spot on, certainly for when it kicks off. Other than that i think it starts downbeat and become progressively more depressed/angry though ocasionally when things are really shit it switches to apathetic/amused where people just barely pay attention and joke amongst themsleves! That was more in some of the Roeder home games, and around me people would just give up on watching the shite on the ptich and have a laugh!

Edited by Papa Lazaru

I gave up this season precisely because of some of the cockends near my old seat. It's pretty bad when you can't concentrate on a game when you just want to bray the fuck out of the bloke 2 seats away. I have rediscovered the joys of a cheap pint in hand in a proper glass, ready access to a bar, and quiet contemplation of the ebb and flow of the game with the benefit of action replays to confirm instantly that yes, Martins was onside and we were robbed.

Edited by RlCO

I'm pretty sure he'd do really, really well tbh.

He'd have the status, momentum, respect and balls to do a great job. I'm not sure football management is as difficult as some people like to make out when you have those things on your side.

I heard a story about Viduka that makes think Shearer would be getting no respect there. Momentum is easily lost. Status? I'm afraid he only has status to us, I don't think he carries much weight amongst foreign players, who would frankly wonder why they are taking orders from someone only 5 years older than them. Even the current crop of supposed crap in the squad there a few player who can claim to have achieved more than him as footballers.

Bollocks, Shearer was recognised as one of the top strikers in the world at a time, even look at what Berbatov was saying recently about him, his status stretches much further than the Newcastle area.

The only thing is no one knows if he's got the coaching ability or tactical nous for the job until he actually manages a team.

He stretches around the world. When I was in Thailand, people would see me toon shirt, and everywhere they'd go "Aran Sheila", RICO's post is the most laughable I've seen on here in quite some time.

:D :D :icon_lol:

Mark Hughes only had the Wales job for a short time before joining Blackburn and look how well he`s done there with limited resources. I would like to think Shearer would have the respect of most of the players due to his record and commitment to the club and those who dont can fuck off. If the fat ozzy has a problem he should take a look what Shearer gave on the pitch, 100%. Not turn up and go through the motions like he did against Liverpool.

If Sam cant hack it and we cant get a big name manager with a proven record then I would be happy with Shearer rather than another Souness/Roeder/Gullit/Dalgliesh.

In fairness Mark Hughes didn't have to win the World Cup with Wales or the Premier League with Blackburn. Shearer pretty much would.

I gave up this season precisely because of some of the cockends near my old seat. It's pretty bad when you can't concentrate on a game when you just want to bray the fuck out of the bloke 2 seats away. I have rediscovered the joys of a cheap pint in hand in a proper glass, ready access to a bar, and quiet contemplation of the ebb and flow of the game with the benefit of action replays to confirm instantly that yes, Martins was onside and we were robbed.

didn't you harp on a day or two ago about "proper fans?"

Clearly you weren't talking about yourself

If you think this season is shite, thick cunt, you wouldn;t have lasted 5 minutes when it was really shite. And that is when the club had only the real fans left.

What a wanker

Edited by LeazesMag

Fair enough if RICO'd decided he'd had enough. There's more to life than football and if you aren't enjoying it go and do something you like more in your time off. And one or two 'hardcore' fans around me who've been going since the likes of Tony Green et al have had enough over the last couple of seasons and chucked their season tickets in. Again, fair enough imo.

Guest stevieintoon

If you think this season is shite, thick cunt, you wouldn;t have lasted 5 minutes when it was really shite. And that is when the club had only the real fans left.

What a wanker

Exactly, when our striker was three stone over weight, and our midfields average age was 18.

This is the trouble with being born into supporting Newcastle - you can't go and support someone else, you can only feel varying levels of passion or disillusionment depending on what you're being served up, so I suppose it's difficult to know how else to register your discontent (both with the current performances and the way the football industry is developing in general) other than giving your money to the local pub instead. If I move back north at some point, I fully intend to get a season ticket again regardless of how we're doing, but that's not to say I can't understand the logic behind those who've had enough, I just don't think I'd ever get that far myself. It's still worth the bits where it feels like a life sentence for the moments when everything falls into place.

What a wanker

No I wasn't, you blind cunt.

And I was not talking about the season, I was talking about the hysterical fans near me. In my opinion I've endured worse football at SJP.

This is the trouble with being born into supporting Newcastle - you can't go and support someone else, you can only feel varying levels of passion or disillusionment depending on what you're being served up, so I suppose it's difficult to know how else to register your discontent (both with the current performances and the way the football industry is developing in general) other than giving your money to the local pub instead. If I move back north at some point, I fully intend to get a season ticket again regardless of how we're doing, but that's not to say I can't understand the logic behind those who've had enough, I just don't think I'd ever get that far myself. It's still worth the bits where it feels like a life sentence for the moments when everything falls into place.

Spot on really. The last couple of seasons have been the most depressing that I have known, the football has been crap (although I've been going long enough to remember worse) and the crowd has ranged from apathetic to aggresive and the high points have been very few and far between. My love of football is what's suffering the most. I still always want to be at the match but more often than not I can no longer be bothered to watch matches on the telly.

I won't ever give away my season ticket though and I will keep hoping that we are going to see things get right.

Back on the topic of Allardyce, while I still believe he would be able to do a good job for us given the propper time I just think he's never going to get it and I would not be at all surprised if he wasn't in charge come Saturday (if he is and we don't win he certainly won't be for much longer).

The more I think about it the more I am behind the idea of Shearer coming in. The club (more importantly the fans) seems in need of something to reignite it in the same way it did when Keegan arrived. It's sad to say this considering how short a period it is since we were in the champions league and we are obviously in a much better position now than we were when McKeag was in charge but it really does feel like the whole place is so flat. The prodical son coming home might just be the thing to do it. I only hope that if it happens he brings in some experienced quality coaches and not just go with his fan favourite mates like Lee & Speed.

Waddle demands Allardyce backing

How on earth can anyone make a judgement on him based on 14 or 15 games?

Waddle on Allardyce

Former Newcastle favourite Chris Waddle has hit out at fans' treatment of Sam Allardyce, saying the manager must be given time to improve the club's form.

Allardyce is under severe pressure just 16 games into his reign at St James' Park, with fans highly critical of his team selections and tactics this term.

But Waddle told BBC Radio 5 Live: "We all know what Newcastle fans want, and that's entertaining football and flair.

"But chopping and changing all the time doesn't earn success, it's ridiculous."

The Magpies currently lie 11th in the Premier League table and crashed out of the Carling Cup at the third round stage.

But it is the style of football that has brought most criticism from Newcastle fans, and Waddle understands their frustrations.

"Some teams are built solely around winning, but others - like Newcastle, Tottenham or Manchester United - are built around good, entertaining football," he said.

"Allardyce built a successful side at Bolton but it was effective rather that flamboyant, and he perhaps wasn't every Newcastle fans' first choice as manager because of that.

"The fact that he was not (new Newcastle owner) Mike Ashley's selection also makes things tricky."

However, the former winger insists it is far too early to judge Allardyce.

It is far too early to be talking about sacking him

"How on earth can anyone make a judgement on Allardyce based on 14 or 15 games?

"He has had selection problems because he has had to deal with a lot of injuries, and he has to be given a chance to find a settled side. I don't know that he's been able to put out his first choice XI once this season.

"Maybe, if things are the same a year from now and Newcastle are still struggling this time next season, something will have to give. But it is far too early to be talking about sacking him now."

How does this moron keep getting work? More bollocks about how we want entertaining football, just give us a manager that can win games.

Spot on really. The last couple of seasons have been the most depressing that I have known, the football has been crap (although I've been going long enough to remember worse) and the crowd has ranged from apathetic to aggresive and the high points have been very few and far between. My love of football is what's suffering the most. I still always want to be at the match but more often than not I can no longer be bothered to watch matches on the telly.

I won't ever give away my season ticket though and I will keep hoping that we are going to see things get right.

Back on the topic of Allardyce, while I still believe he would be able to do a good job for us given the propper time I just think he's never going to get it and I would not be at all surprised if he wasn't in charge come Saturday (if he is and we don't win he certainly won't be for much longer).

The more I think about it the more I am behind the idea of Shearer coming in. The club (more importantly the fans) seems in need of something to reignite it in the same way it did when Keegan arrived. It's sad to say this considering how short a period it is since we were in the champions league and we are obviously in a much better position now than we were when McKeag was in charge but it really does feel like the whole place is so flat. The prodical son coming home might just be the thing to do it. I only hope that if it happens he brings in some experienced quality coaches and not just go with his fan favourite mates like Lee & Speed.

I cant imagine it having the same effect though, I'm sure Shearer wont be allowed the time ( by the fans) in the way that Keegan was. Also Shearer has only been gone a season and there has been almost constant speculation about him being our boss unlike Keegan who came more out of the blue.

I cant imagine it having the same effect though, I'm sure Shearer wont be allowed the time ( by the fans) in the way that Keegan was. Also Shearer has only been gone a season and there has been almost constant speculation about him being our boss unlike Keegan who came more out of the blue.

I don't see anyone being given much time anymore but I do think Shearer would get more than any other manager from the fans and if the fans give him time then he will in turn get time from his boss

You're right about the constant speculation which was there well before he even retired. It might not be the same thing as Keegan as he came right out of the blue with no one ever considering that he would be our manager. But I do think it is possible that Shearer might be able to get everyone united and put a bit of a spring in peoples step.

Tbh I can't really believe that I am starting to advocate this at all but the way the fans have turned on Allardyce so quickly this season really has made me think that no one other than Shearer would get the backing required to put things right. I that might be the key factor.

I don't see anyone being given much time anymore but I do think Shearer would get more than any other manager from the fans and if the fans give him time then he will in turn get time from his boss

You're right about the constant speculation which was there well before he even retired. It might not be the same thing as Keegan as he came right out of the blue with no one ever considering that he would be our manager. But I do think it is possible that Shearer might be able to get everyone united and put a bit of a spring in peoples step.

Tbh I can't really believe that I am starting to advocate this at all but the way the fans have turned on Allardyce so quickly this season really has made me think that no one other than Shearer would get the backing required to put things right. I that might be the key factor.

doomed to a high profile failure making us a laughing stock yet again. I have seen nothing to suggest that shearer could do a job as a manager see, he was a crap captain and he never even bothered to try to motivate the treats. He's a typical selfish striker, is there any evidence of strikers making good managers? I cant think of any tbh

doomed to a high profile failure making us a laughing stock yet again. I have seen nothing to suggest that shearer could do a job as a manager see, he was a crap captain and he never even bothered to try to motivate the treats. He's a typical selfish striker, is there any evidence of strikers making good managers? I cant think of any tbh

Keegan?