Newcastle linked with £11m Russian star

Scottish Mag

Barca drop out of Arshavin race

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Foo...havin-interest/

The chances of Andrei Arshavin plying his trade in The Premier League next season appear have have increased significantly with the news that Barcelona are refusing to increase their offer for the Russia star. Arshavin has been one of the most talked-about players in European football since his excellent showing in Euro 2008 and it was believed that Barca were heading the race for the playmaker who is also a reported target for Chelsea and Arsenal. The Uefa Cup winner, who scored in the final victory over Rangers in May, had even admitted that Barcelona were his favoured destination but the Catalan club appear to have withdrawn their interest after difficult negotiations with their Russian counterparts. Zenit are believed to be seeking around €30 million (£23.8 million) for their star player and have now confirmed that Barcelona have dropped out of the race after refusing to budge in their own valuation of Arshavin. “During talks between FC Zenit and Barcelona, the Catalan club has not improved its initial €15 million (£12 million) proposal for the transfer of Andrei Arshavin and refused to continue negotiations on the acquisition of the player,” read a club statement While Zenit continue to claim that Barcelona have tabled the only official offer for the 27-year-old, his representative Dennis Lachter, who has been tasked with finding him a foreign club, has stated that the Russian side are in fact in discussions with a number of interested parties. Lachter, who recently claimed Chelsea had cooled their interest after the capture of Deco, also believes that Arshavin will sign for a Premier League side. “Now Zenit is negotiating with several clubs,” Lachter told Sovetsky Sport. “We are waiting for a call from (Zenit president) Alexander Dyukova, after which negotiations have already progressed themselves. Most likely, it will be England.”

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wec ould have had him for less then £10mil 6 months ago! twats!

And chances are we'd still be stuck with Allardyce as manager if that was the case.

I'd rather do without Arshavin personally.

ah fuck him tbh, his head's just tripled in size after a couple of good games at the euros and being totally shut out the minute he stopped being an underdog (spanish match)

in space of 6months he's gone from being happy to sign for the likes of us to "i will only sign for Barcelona or possibly another champions league team"

no ones going pay 20m for him, hope he enjoys playing for zenit

He will seeing they're in the Champions League next season.

Edited by sammynb

ah fuck him tbh, his head's just tripled in size after a couple of good games at the euros and being totally shut out the minute he stopped being an underdog (spanish match)

in space of 6months he's gone from being happy to sign for the likes of us to "i will only sign for Barcelona or possibly another champions league team"

no ones going pay 20m for him, hope he enjoys playing for zenit

Well when the likes of Barcelona, Chelsea and Arsenal are after him you can hardly blame the fella.

:D

£24 Million for a lad who was valued at £11M had a couple of canny games in Euro '08 and never showed up for the most important one.

Ridikilis.

Ludacris. B)

Wern't they the two centre halves that played for Roma?

:o

The agent of Zenit St Petersburg star Andrei Arshavin has revealed that he expects the playmaker to travel to England for transfer discussions.

Arshavin impressed at Euro 2008 with Russia to place himself on the radar of a host of European clubs and Spanish giants Barcelona had a second offer of 15million euros (£12m) turned down on Monday.

And while Arshavin's agent, Dennis Lachter, is adamant the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea have yet to make an official approach, he has stated that he expects the 27-year-old to be heading to the Premier League for negotiations.

However, Lachter insists Arshavin would only consider a club which can provide UEFA Champions League football.

"Andrei would like to play in the Premier League but he will not accept an offer from clubs like Newcastle, Middlesbrough and Aston Villa," Lachter said in the Daily Telegraph.

Ambition

"There are only four British clubs he would play for and they are in the Champions League. It's not about money, it's about a team and professional ambition.

"Zenit is negotiating with several clubs. We are now waiting for a phone call from Zenit president Alexander Dyukov to allow us to negotiate his personal terms with one of them. It's most likely he will be heading for England."

But Lachter has said that any interested club will need to double Barca's bid and table an offer of around £24million to prise the playmaker away from Zenit.

"It's going to be a very big transfer," Lachter added. "Zenit will definitely not accept an offer of less than 30million euros (£23.8m).

"They are owned by Gazprom, who are one of the biggest oil companies in the world, so they can afford not to sell him cheaply."

So what will the cunt do if Spurs, Everton or us take the team he signs for place in the CL next season and maybe for the 2 or 3 years after that?

I hate footballers.

:D Soz like Kaka, a couple of decent games has really went to this blokes head possibly the agents words though, I don't think he'll be going anywhere tbh he is no where near being a £20m player imo and he's 27 so isn't going to improve. As soon as his price started elevating I was happy for us to look elsewhere tbh.

quote: It's not about money, it's about a team and professional ambition.

Yeah right

Is it so unbelievable that the player might want to go to one of the world's top clubs? Tbf Zenit are hardly strapped for cash so if he wanted more money he could likely get it. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Is he really that good to be demanding a top four club and turning Barca down? I thought it was his 'dream' to play for them?

Zenit has turned down Barca's offer of £12m and they've refused to offer any more rather than him turning them down.

Edited by ewerk

Is he really that good to be demanding a top four club and turning Barca down? I thought it was his 'dream' to play for them?

Zenit has turned down Barca's offer of £12m and they've refused to offer any more rather than him turning them down.

I realise that, but if it was his dream to play for them he could ask Zenit to accept or make noises about wanting to leave or whatever.