Newcastle linked with £11m Russian star

Scottish Mag

Andrei Arshavin admits he would be interested in joining Newcastle, should Sam Allardyce come calling in the January transfer window.

The talented 26-year-old was part of the Zenit St Petersburg team defeated by Everton on Wednesday night, a game which could prove to be his final appearance for his home-town club.

As England will testify, the Russian schemer is certainly a gifted performer and it would appear he is now ready to ply his trade in the Premier League.

Newcastle have been credited as being long-term admirers and Arshavin's signature would likely sate a St James' Park crowd that craves entertainment.

Arshavin concedes that he is flattered by talk of Newcastle's interest.

"Of course I would like to play in England," he told the Daily Mirror.

"In Russia as well as England they are talking about Newcastle being interested in me and there has been no concrete offer.

"In principle if they made an offer I would be interested."

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news, sure people said he played well against england.

The problem is that could be said about a lot of players recently, although that's not necessarily because they have been great.

We need someone that is though.

Good news, sure people said he played well against england.

The problem is that could be said about a lot of players recently

Yeah I had thought about that. :nufc:

Edited by khay

Would be a great signing for us though i think a player of his quality would attract interest from better standing clubs than ourselves in the current climate. The fact he's openly said he's interested in somewhat of an incouraging bonus though!

Guest Patrokles

If it's true that (and Sam suggested it is) we were after Elano, then this is a plausible link. Another creative midfielder playing in Eastern Europe. If we'd scouted Elano, I daresay we're looking into that area of the world.

After watching the vid on Youtube and seeing him play for Russia, he is very similar in style to a certain Mr Beardsley.

And Luque :nufc:

but is he a left winger or a striker?

attacking midfielder :razz: