NUFC v Derby County

NobbySol

Talking about Sven, I was keen to see him at SJP but the majority weren't. Remember when the press reported that he was interested in the Newcastle job, there was uproar on here:

"He's boring, aloof, out of touch with his players, clueless, milking the FA for every penny he can, etc...."

That seemed to be the general response with one or two notable exceptions. And conversely when Sam was linked with Citeh a lot on here were of the opinion that we should move to get him quick before they do.

Not saying 'be careful what u wish for' but its interesting to take note. Sven's club record (and his England one results-wise tbf) has always been superb. I'm not in the least bit surprised he's been a success for Man City.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankfully I can't see Mort being swayed too much by public opinion, he seems a strong enough guy to make his own decisions (obviously with Ashley's input) so I suppose time will tell how good his decision making is.

Talking about Sven, I was keen to see him at SJP but the majority weren't. Remember when the press reported that he was interested in the Newcastle job, there was uproar on here:

"He's boring, aloof, out of touch with his players, clueless, milking the FA for every penny he can, etc...."

That seemed to be the general response with one or two notable exceptions. And conversely when Sam was linked with Citeh a lot on here were of the opinion that we should move to get him quick before they do.

Not saying 'be careful what u wish for' but its interesting to take note. Sven's club record (and his England one results-wise tbf) has always been superb. I'm not in the least bit surprised he's been a success for Man City.

Agreed, Sven has a sustained track record of success at every club he's managed, something Allardyce cannot boast.

Agree with all of that, I said at the time that Houllier was my first choice and Sven was second, the people who wouldn't entertain the idea of either even though both were far better managers than Allardyce was quite shocking.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/...6642#msg1026642

Edited by Baggio

I find them comments BS has made in The Mag about Milner and Zoggy astounding and don't believe them for one moment. Seems to me we've got ourselves another liar of a manager.

I read that too, he came across as a deluded, stuborn loon.

I find them comments BS has made in The Mag about Milner and Zoggy astounding and don't believe them for one moment. Seems to me we've got ourselves another liar of a manager.

Did you know Milner has not got a single assist since the first game away to Bolton?

If he is leaving him there to keep him happy he wants his head read.

...and Zoggy has only supplied assists in one game this season.

They've both played in every game.

Did you know Milner has not got a single assist since the first game away to Bolton?

But but but we've got Pro-Zone and everything !

Sam says its brilliant !

But but but we've got Pro-Zone and everything !

Sam says its brilliant !

Strange that he talks that stuff up so much when Emre has the most assists in our squad and can't get a start.

ALWAYS CRASHING IN THE SAME CAR

Monday 24th December 2007

Derby County, sadly are on course to give Sunderland's status as the worst side in the short history of the Premiership. Whether they will amass more than the delicious 15pts the Mackems managed on their last top level sojourn remains to be seen but as they go into Christmas week with 7pts, we can reflect 4 of that tally has come from good ol' Newcastle United Football Club. Its an entirely personal thing but like many of you reading this, I left SJP absolutely fuming at a disgusting performance which was orchestrated from the dug out and turned in by a display which was gutless, clueless and frankly indefensible.

Those of us who have steadfastly defended the manager, called for calm and patience amongst the support for a club which has undergone so much change over the last 6 months were made to look complete mugs on Sunday. How can anyone defend what went on at home to Derby?

There are so many questions that need answers. What is happening with Enrique? In those rare moments of optimism, I sometimes think proper clubs buy players from abroad (i.e. Vidic at Man Utd) put them in the reserves, allow them to acclimatise and then bring them through gradually. Is this what's happening with Enrique? If so, that was a big decision for a manager with a squad that doesn't have a left back and not a lot of dosh to spend (£6m for a player in a small squad, with no available time-served left back). The fear however is Allardyce has bought a plank who he can't play because there are too many holes in his game.

I think we've seen enough of the four central defenders at NUFC to realise both Taylor and Faye are our two best hands. Twice this season we've seen Allardyce haul off Cacapa and Rozenhal for performances at a sub-Bramble-Boumsong level. These two look to have flattered to deceive in their early days and just do not seem up to it. They might have done well in the less frenetic pace of the French league but defenders who are caught square, look uncomfortable in their air and appear to need to much time have been responsible for a level of defending which hangs around our club like an albatross. To be fair neither player cost us Marcelino-Boumsong-Bramble types of money and at the time Allardyce counselled us the players he was bringing in were not his first choice because of the level of money available to him. That said, Enrique cost decent money and isn't anywhere near the team. There is an argument foreign players need time to settle in etc but these two aren't at the settling in age. Both look like short term fixes that have gone wrong.

Away from the defence the tactics of a 4-3-3 just isn't working. If it can't work against Derby at home, it can't work. End of. Martins in particular looked completely lost and dare I say it, disinterested. Joey Barton who made some accurate comments about the atmosphere around SJP a few weeks ago was rightly being questioned after the Derby match amongst my cabal of match going Mag compadres for his qualification to say it, given he is yet to put in a performance above 7/10 in his short time here. Against Derby he looked completely devoid of pace, passion and purpose. If Barton can be so candid regarding what he described as a vicious attitude towards the team from the stands then he has to be big enough to accept criticism that his performance bordered on the comatose and we have the right to expect a hell of a lot more from a lad who had £300K stashed in his bank accouint from NUFC as we picked up the tab for his "loyalty bonus" to Man City before he'd kicked a ball for us. There is a lot to admire in Barton's new off-field honesty and we hope the demons which have led him down the wrong patch previously can be exorcised. But many more performances like Sunday gone and the lad can be accused of talking the talk but not walking the walk.

That front three doesn't work. Smith has a lot to recommend him as a centre-forward, he holds the ball up well and he can see a pass and execute it (though he doesn't get into enough goalscoring positions) but played alongside Viduka its just nonsense. Viduka is a smashing centre-forward but he needs either Martins or Owen around him, running off his flick ons and playing together. Viduka - Smith with Martins out the game on the right is just a blunt instrument despite Viduka getting two goals yesterday. That's not to say I'm advocating a 4-4-2 in the Keegan mode. I honestly believe those days have gone from the game. If you were to stick N'Zogbia and Milner wide left and right as part of a middle four, we'd be over run. You might argue that a good team could move a full back into the middle to support the middle two but the truth is you need extra men in the middle. The game has gone narrow but that's not to say when in possession and going forward we shouldn't have more width. Is this what Martins was supposed to offer down the right? He didn't offer anything. For me Milner cutting in from the left works and is our best option but it shouldn't be our only option.

But aside from the tactics and formation there was something wholly lacklustre abouut us on Sunday. We raised our game late in both halves but frankly that just isn't good enough. Whether the expectation was one of Derby coming and rolling over I don't know but we started badly with little zip, little passion and little discernible purpose. Allardyce has to get the players heads right and dare I say it but if we can't go out to put Derby under pressure at home on the back of some decent results then when can we? This result was a real kick in the knackas on so many different levels and for some many different reasons. Allardyce has put the team and himself back under pressure and it should just not have happened. But the worse element of the whole sorry shambles was too many players looked like they couldn't be arsed.

http://www.true-faith.co.uk/html/tbawe.htm

I will never ever understand this bullshit that just because Joey Barton has criticised the fans once he has to be super player number one every goddam match.

Or just play well, as opposed to playing shit every game like he has done.

I will never ever understand this bullshit that just because Joey Barton has criticised the fans once he has to be super player number one every goddam match.

Which bit do you need help with? :lol:

Another good article imo.

On the whole I agree but think Cacapa is better than Taylor - I'd see Cacapa/Faye as my first choice.

The Barton thing reminds me of Butt - it looked like there was no way back for him but all it takes is a few decent performances for most people to move on - Barton has shown glimpses of being a decent player but with a lot still to do.

Alan Smith named Captain. Disgraceful. Especially when Butt and Given were on the field.

The whole team was disjointed. Martins looked like a man that didnt want to play right midfield. Not happy with him. Not sure I even saw a tackle from Alan Smith all game either......

Rozy is a fairy. He just cant win 50-50s. School boy for centre half.

Barton had a 'mare.

Beye, Zoggy and Vids were out best players.

The crowd just didnt seem to care. Apathy is setting in.

That line in bold is the epitome of how fickle we are as a bunch of supporters. 2½ years ago the vast majority of the match-going supporters would have gladly packed Nicky Butt's bags and driven him out of Newcastle..... and now people think he should be team captain?

Fickle? More like he has changed my mind with 100% effort and commitment. Along with his experience of course. 2..5 years is a long time in football. Would you say his attitude hasnt changed?

WAFC: Chris Kirkland, Mario Melchiot, Paul Scharner, Titus Bramble, Kevin Kilbane, Antonio Valencia, Denny Landzaat, Michael Brown, Ryan Taylor, Marcus Bent, Antoine Sibierski

Subs: Mike Pollitt, Emmerson Boyce, Salomon Olembe, Josip Skoko, Julius Aghahowa

NUFC: Shay Given, Habib Beye, Charles N'Zogbia, Steven Taylor, Abdoulaye Faye, Geremi, Emre, Alan Smith, Damien Duff, James Milner, Mark Viduka

Subs: Jose Enrique, Claudio Cacapa, Oba Martins, Steve Harper, Nicky Butt

Hopefully this means Duff on the left and Milner on the right. B)

Or more than likely Sam will have them doing the reverse. :lol:

Hopefully :

.................................Shay Given,

Habib Beye ... Steven Taylor ... Abdoulaye Faye ... Charles N'Zogbia,

James Milner ... Geremi ................. Emre ............... Damien Duff

.......................Alan Smith ... Mark Viduka

Though dont be surprised to see Milner and Duff swapped over.

I reckon Geremi is much better central than on the right.

WAFC: Chris Kirkland, Mario Melchiot, Paul Scharner, Titus Bramble, Kevin Kilbane, Antonio Valencia, Denny Landzaat, Michael Brown, Ryan Taylor, Marcus Bent, Antoine Sibierski

Subs: Mike Pollitt, Emmerson Boyce, Salomon Olembe, Josip Skoko, Julius Aghahowa

NUFC: Shay Given, Habib Beye, Charles N'Zogbia, Steven Taylor, Abdoulaye Faye, Geremi, Emre, Alan Smith, Damien Duff, James Milner, Mark Viduka

Hopefully this means Duff on the left and Milner on the right. :lol:

Or more than likely Sam will have them doing the reverse. :lol:

Wrong thread. B)

Hopefully this means Duff on the left and Milner on the right. ;)

Or more than likely Sam will have them doing the reverse. B)

Wrong thread. :lol:

Bastard ! :lol: