Jol ready for Sam's Toon job

Paul

Jol ready for Sam's Toon job

By By MARK IRWIN

Published: Today

MARTIN JOL is ready to take charge at Newcastle if Sam Allardyce gets the bullet.

Jol was offered the Toon job before Big Sam was appointed in May but the Dutchman stayed at Spurs.

Now he is waiting for another call from St James’ Park and believes he can live up to their expectations.

Jol, 51, is keen to return to work two months after being sacked by Spurs with a £4million pay-off.

He has already turned down approaches from Birmingham and Fulham because he does not fancy battling relegation.

But he is excited by the prospect of managing Newcastle and knows they can match his own ambitions.

It was news of the Toon’s approach last season which undermined Jol at Spurs, where directors were unhappy he was even considering a move to another club.

He finished fifth in both of his last two campaigns at White Hart Lane.

And earlier this season he pointed out: “When I took charge here, Spurs were probably behind the likes of Newcastle.

"If you told Sam Allardyce he’d finish in the top five for the next two years, he would be so happy.

“They would probably build a big statue of him outside the stadium at St James’ Park.”

One concern Jol has is that Toon owner Mike Ashley is pals with former Spurs vice-chairman Paul Kemsley, who led the campaign to oust him from White Hart Lane.

Yet with the Geordie fans fuming, Ashley must decide whether to back Allardyce or sack him.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport...ticle630738.ece

I'd have him here :lol:

Not good enough for Spuds... not good enough for us.

5th, 5th and playing decent football. He had a dodgy start to this season so he got the boot in toonesq fasion. I wouldnt complain if he replaced the clueless twat who currently picks the team

Despite the fact it's a bullshit nothing story I find the response of people fascinating.

Martin Jol took Spurs to their highest position in their Premier League, twice in a row. This is a club with a fine history, a big club often compared to Newcastle that had sank into mid table obscurity and were going nowhere fast. They also changed manager frequently and saw little long term benefit from the short term fix. As soon as they had a bad run of results this season the board got rid. The fans were sensible enough to see when they were losing a good thing and sang the blokes name throughout the rest of the game when the news came out.

Since the first season of the Premier league, Blackburn Rovers came 4th, 2nd, 1st, 7th, 13th, 6th, 10th, 6th, 15th, 15th, 6th and 10th. It's a record very similar to Newcastle's. But they went one better and actually won the thing when they were flying high. You'd expect their fans to be even more expectant, but the pressure isn't on Hughes, even though his team conceded five times as many as us against lowly Wigan, even though he's only got them 1 more point than we have. Perhaps we need to get relegated and come back up to show people we aren't a "Top side" any more and to cull the instant quick fans who I have no doubt would stop going.

I've no doubt that Hughes is playing particularly attractive passing football that leaves the opposition dazzled and is what we want, but didn't we match them all over the park a few weeks ago? The grass is always greener.

IF we were to get rid of Allardyce I reckon Jol would be one of the better managers we could attract.

Despite the fact it's a bullshit nothing story I find the response of people fascinating.

Martin Jol took Spurs to their highest position in their Premier League, twice in a row. This is a club with a fine history, a big club often compared to Newcastle that had sank into mid table obscurity and were going nowhere fast. They also changed manager frequently and saw little long term benefit from the short term fix. As soon as they had a bad run of results this season the board got rid. The fans were sensible enough to see when they were losing a good thing and sang the blokes name throughout the rest of the game when the news came out.

Since the first season of the Premier league, Blackburn Rovers came 4th, 2nd, 1st, 7th, 13th, 6th, 10th, 6th, 15th, 15th, 6th and 10th. It's a record very similar to Newcastle's. But they went one better and actually won the thing when they were flying high. You'd expect their fans to be even more expectant, but the pressure isn't on Hughes, even though his team conceded five times as many as us against lowly Wigan, even though he's only got them 1 more point than we have. Perhaps we need to get relegated and come back up to show people we aren't a "Top side" any more and to cull the instant quick fans who I have no doubt would stop going.

I've no doubt that Hughes is playing particularly attractive passing football that leaves the opposition dazzled and is what we want, but didn't we match them all over the park a few weeks ago? The grass is always greener.

IF we were to get rid of Allardyce I reckon Jol would be one of the better managers we could attract.

Well said :lol:

I don't want him either, but I find it strange that finishing 5th with Bolton is an argument for some for keeping Allardyce, yet Jol finishing 5th with Spurs isn't good enough to appoint him.

Thing is, my arguement now with Sam isnt our points haul or league position. Its the manner in which these things are happening and the type of team we are becoming under him. Like I said in another thread, IF we were playing good football, things wouldnt seem as bad. IF we had better results but things looked at shite, we'd still be saying things looked shite. We now though have both. Dodgy results with harder games to come and we're playing shite.

Blackburn don't get 50,000 every home game though, in fact the couple of times I've been there their ground has been bare to say the least. Also their fans don't sleep, eat and shit the club. That's why there's no pressure on Hughes

Guest James_coDurham
I don't want him either, but I find it strange that finishing 5th with Bolton is an argument for some for keeping Allardyce, yet Jol finishing 5th with Spurs isn't good enough to appoint him.

No money/Shed loads of money. Expected to finish 5th/not expected to finish 5th.

That help clear up the confusion a wee bit?

Blackburn don't get 50,000 every home game though, in fact the couple of times I've been there their ground has been bare to say the least. Also their fans don't sleep, eat and shit the club. That's why there's no pressure on Hughes

Blackburn isn't a football town in the way Newcastle is, it's a poor comparison.

Blackburn isn't a football town in the way Newcastle is, it's a poor comparison.

Aye, the fans that pay to watch Blackburn don't bleed their clubs colours like the Toon Army. They just go because they can't get rugby tickets.

Aye, the fans that pay to watch Blackburn don't bleed their clubs colours like the Toon Army. They just go because they can't get rugby tickets.

Yeah, that's exactly what I said. There isn't the same enthusiasm for football there though. It's a fact.

Guest Patrokles

Spurs are significantly more attractive to players, and have more money than Bolton?