Shearer & Keegan

spongebob toonpants

Might shape Owen up as well. :lol:

Do they not hate each others guts then (Owen and Keegan)?

Bastard, I was just coming back to edit my post about that. ;)

What's the back story there then?

Apparently when he was England manager Keegan never rated Owen and would always pick on him so to speak in training in front of everyone, just saying all he had was pace and nothing else.

Well seen as though he hasn't got pace anymore, I doubt KK's opinion has changed!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The journo, Ian Ridley raised a good point though about this duo; where would the scouting network come from? Keegan was notoriously bad at buying defenders, and Shearer is a novice. While there would be a feelgood factor short term, it takes more than that to get the right players for genuine success.

Newcastle turn to Keegan and Shearer: Billionaire owner targets dream team after Redknapp snub

EXCLUSIVE by BOB CASS and JOE BERNSTEIN

Newcastle United will make a sensational offer to Kevin Keegan to return as manager after Harry Redknapp turned the job down yesterday.

The club plan to link the former England and Newcastle boss in a dream partnership with Tyneside hero Alan Shearer in a bid to erase the damage done to Mike Ashley's reputation by Redknapp's shock about-turn.

{R}

Redknapp decided to stay at Portsmouth rather than switch his allegiance to the club which sacked Sam Allardyce last Wednesday after barely eight months in charge.

Now Ashley, Newcastle's billionaire owner, will attempt to appease supporters by turning to Keegan, who became a legend on Tyneside following his time as a player there in the Eighties and as United's most successful post-War manager in a five-year period in the Nineties.

Keegan, 57 next month, has been out of football since quitting as Manchester City manager in March 2005 but, in a recent interview, he refused to rule out a return to management.

Keegan said: "I am 56 but you never say never in anything. If it doesn't happen in the next two or three years I'll be 60 and then it might be too late to return."

Shearer, whose name was chanted by Newcastle fans during last night's crushing 6-0 defeat at Manchester United, has intimated that he would be interested in taking a managerial role at his hometown club if approached, and he would relish the opportunity opportunity of working alongside the manager who paid a club record £16million for him when he moved from Blackburn to Tyneside in 1996.

Yesterday a Newcastle source confirmed that the club would prefer to appoint an experienced manager, adding weight to demands for a Keegan-Shearer package.

"Chris Mort [the club's chairman] and Mike Ashley have a good relationship with Alan Shearer," said the source.

"They are well aware of the many qualities he could bring to the club but in the present situation we feel that an experienced manager with a proven track record is required.

"The most important thing is getting the right man. There is no time frame on the appointment. It is vital that Newcastle get it right this time and it will take as long as is necessary to do that."

The source also suggested that Redknapp's reluctance to move to the North-East from his £8million home on the Dorset coast at exclusive Sandbanks was behind the Portsmouth manager's change of heart.

"Harry raised the subject of being able to fly to the North-East," said the source. "We have always believed that the manager would be somebody based full-time in Newcastle.

"That was a major stumbling block and it was clear if we talked about the issue there was no point in going any further.

"Managing Newcastle is a massive job and a huge responsibility. It requires total commitment."

Keegan, who is currently running his Soccer Circus coaching school in Glasgow, was instrumental in establishing Newcastle as a Premier League force.

He took them to within four points of the title in 1996 when they finished runners-up to United, having looked almost certain to win their first championship for nearly 70 years when they held an 11-point lead over their nearest rivals at the end of February.

It was a disappointment that, coupled with behind-the- scenes disagreements with the then club chairman Sir John Hall and his executives, led to Keegan's shock resignation the following season.

Doubts over Shearer's willingness to work as a No 2 have been expressed by former Newcastle manager Sir Bobby Robson.

Writing in The Mail on Sunday, Sir Bobby, who managed the club for five years until he was axed in August 2004, said: "I know most Geordie fans would like Kevin Keegan to come back so Alan could learn from him. But I don't see Shearer as anyone's No2. If anybody came in, they would have to help Shearer rather than the other way round.

"Make Shearer the boss or there is no point in having him."

Other names in the frame are current bookmakers' favourite Mark Hughes, but sources close to the Blackburn manager suggest he would rather bide his time before making his next move, which could be to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United.

There is also support for Gerard Houllier, who has been working for the French FA after a successful stint as coach at Lyon. The former Liverpool manager, who knows the English game well after his stint at Anfield from 1998-2004, is close to Ashley's friend, property developer and former Tottenham vicechairman Paul Kemsley.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Find this story at http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1779

©2008 Associated New Media

Call me stupid but I'm actually quite excited about this were it to happen. Might not work but if it did it would be amazing :lol:

The journo, Ian Ridley raised a good point though about this duo; where would the scouting network come from? Keegan was notoriously bad at buying defenders, and Shearer is a novice. While there would be a feelgood factor short term, it takes more than that to get the right players for genuine success.

The last 3 managers have brought bad defenders, doesn't look like changing!

P.s. Although i rate faye and beye

There is also support for Gerard Houllier, who has been working for the French FA after a successful stint as coach at Lyon. The former Liverpool manager, who knows the English game well after his stint at Anfield from 1998-2004, is close to Ashley's friend, property developer and former Tottenham vicechairman Paul Kemsley.

More jobs for the boys... :lol:

More jobs for the boys... :lol:

Redknapp's Ashley's mate anarl. Fuck's sake.

It's the one area we've never got right. Woodgate made a massive difference to SBR's team when he was fit.

It's the one area we've never got right. Woodgate made a massive difference to SBR's team when he was fit.

Our inability to keep possession in the midfield etc has played a major factor in this but often gets overlooked. I don't think our defenders individually at the club are as bad as some want to make out (often based on the goals against column) but when you have a midfield and attack that cannot retain possession for more than a minute and gift the ball to the opposition who end up hitting us with attack upon attack it is inevitable that the opposition will make a breakthrough eventually.

Even though Rozenhal appears to be looking to struggle with the physical aspect of the British game, apart from Carr I really don't think we have that bad a set of defenders. A consistent back four playing together and a change in personnel in front of them could make a huge difference IMO.

Our inability to keep possession in the midfield etc has played a major factor in this but often gets overlooked. I don't think our defenders individually at the club are as bad as some want to make out (often based on the goals against column) but when you have a midfield and attack that cannot retain possession for more than a minute and gift the ball to the opposition who end up hitting us with attack upon attack it is inevitable that the opposition will make a breakthrough eventually.

Even though Rozenhal appears to be looking to struggle with the physical aspect of the British game, apart from Carr I really don't think we have that bad a set of defenders. A consistent back four playing together and a change in personnel in front of them could make a huge difference IMO.

I agree, I was using the example of defenders to make the point about the scouting network. Keegan usually just went for players he liked the look of and fair play it worked for the most part. I just think you have to be a bit more savvy these days, the games moved on a lot.

Robson - Time for Shearer

Sir Bobby backs Toon legend for St James' post

By Rob Parrish Last updated: 13th January 2008

Sir Bobby Robson insists Alan Shearer should be handed the Newcastle United manager's job.

The Magpies are searching for their seventh boss in 10 years following the departure of Sam Allardyce after just 24 games in charge.

Portsmouth chief Harry Redknapp has already rejected the chance to take the St James' Park hotseat, with newspaper reports now suggesting that the club could be ready to turn to a managerial duo of Shearer and former boss Kevin Keegan.

But Robson, in charge of the Magpies from 1999-2004, believes Shearer should be given sole responsibility.

The former England international is a legendary figure on Tyneside and holds the club's all-time goalscoring record, and Robson claims he will always cast a long shadow over anyone else at the helm.

Unique

He told The Mail on Sunday: "Owner Mike Ashley has a simple but important decision to make. Does he turn to local legend Alan Shearer, even though he is untested, or choose a man with experience, a safer option, such as Mark Hughes, Gerard Houllier or Martin Jol.

"Ninety-nine times out of 100, I would call for experience; Newcastle would normally be too big for a first-timer. But Shearer is different. He has the status and charisma of few other personalities in this country.

"I know Shearer hasn't been a manager before. But he is a unique case because of his standing in the city and the force of his personality. It's not his fault, but whoever takes the job will have his ghost on their shoulder because of the strength of feeling towards him in the North-East.

"Until he becomes manager, the Shearer factor won't go away. So why not silence everybody now?

"He is available, lives in the town and is an iconic figure. He doesn't have managerial experience but he does have plenty of big-match experience.

"If he comes out and wants the job, Newcastle should give him a chance. They cannot afford to be turned down again by someone like Hughes.

"I know most Geordie fans would like Kevin Keegan to come back so Alan could learn from him. But I don't see Shearer as anyone's No.2. If anybody came in, he would have to help Shearer rather than the other way round.

"Make Shearer boss or there is no point in having him."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,116...043665,00.html#

By the way, I'd prefer Van Gaal, Hiddink, Jose, Lippi, Ranieri etc

I'd even prefer Houllier, either on his own or with Shearer.

But I'd be ok with Shearer and Keegan. I think ANY manager is now a risk, so why not it be someon who might get some passion into the players?

only Keegan knows if he has the drive to do it again.

They said on sky this morning [taht old Jimmy Hill show] that there is a possible conflict between two people who would both want to be number 1.

In my eyes, even though I don't go for this "grooming for the job" stuff, I think Keegan would be number 1 and Shearer number 2. As simple as that. Between the 2 of them, they would attract big players to the club, especially if we started winning games again.

If Keegan doesn't have the drive, then its a non starter.

My absolute top choice has always been Wenger. Accepting that he wouldn't come - and there is no harm in trying - Mourinho is obviously a top candidate [like Dalglish was at the time] but his engaging personality would be more suited to Newcastle when the going gets tough.

The other foreigners are of course also good candidates. I also think its pretty sad that somewhere in the lower leagues there is a manager who could be the new Brian Clough, Shankly etc, but they won't get jobs like ours because of everybody thinking the way to go is to appoint foreign trophy winners. Identifying them is the problem though. I am thinking of people like Tony Mowbray for instance, just as an example.

Edited by LeazesMag

By the way, I'd prefer Van Gaal, Hiddink, Jose, Lippi, Ranieri etc

I'd even prefer Houllier, either on his own or with Shearer.

But I'd be ok with Shearer and Keegan. I think ANY manager is now a risk, so why not it be someon who might get some passion into the players?

only Keegan knows if he has the drive to do it again.

They said on sky this morning [taht old Jimmy Hill show] that there is a possible conflict between two people who would both want to be number 1.

In my eyes, even though I don't go for this "grooming for the job" stuff, I think Keegan would be number 1 and Shearer number 2. As simple as that. Between the 2 of them, they would attract big players to the club, especially if we started winning games again.

If Keegan doesn't have the drive, then its a non starter.

My absolute top choice has always been Wenger. Accepting that he wouldn't come - and there is no harm in trying - Mourinho is obviously a top candidate [like Dalglish was at the time] but his engaging personality would be more suited to Newcastle when the going gets tough.

The other foreigners are of course also good candidates. I also think its pretty sad that somewhere in the lower leagues there is a manager who could be the new Brian Clough, Shankly etc, but they won't get jobs like ours because of everybody thinking the way to go is to appoint foreign trophy winners. Identifying them is the problem though. I am thinking of people like Tony Mowbray for instance, just as an example.

you can see the notw now, Keegan in grooming scandel

Keegan was notoriously bad at buying defenders.

:lol: How many of Beresford, Albert, Peacock and Venison (at their peak) would get into the current side?

I missed that.

I just love these cliches that some people cling to, even when they are utter nonsense.

Trouble with "lower league" managers is the egos of players these days IMO.

It's fairly safe to throw a strop at Newcastle though, you've got a good shot (as a player) of out lasting the manager. :lol:

:lol: How many of Beresford, Albert, Peacock and Venison (at their peak) would get into the current side?

Keegan's defenders were mainly bought for their attacking flair, of those you mentioned there, I'd say Venison was the best pure defender, and he left when we were promoted to be replaced by Barton who was fairly shit. I don't think there were many people who will argue that the main reason we didn't win anything under Keegan was that we lacked real class defenders. Not that they weren't good, they just weren't the best.

No doubt there'll be glib types like LeazesMag who'll trot out statistics to back their argument for the sake of it, but that was the general consensus.

Keegan's defenders were mainly bought for their attacking flair, of those you mentioned there, I'd say Venison was the best pure defender, and he left when we were promoted to be replaced by Barton who was fairly shit. I don't think there were many people who will argue that the main reason we didn't win anything under Keegan was that we lacked real class defenders. Not that they weren't good, they just weren't the best.

No doubt there'll be glib types like LeazesMag who'll trot out statistics to back their argument for the sake of it, but that was the general consensus.

Venison didn't leave until the end of the 94-95 season. Again, how many of them four would get in today's side?