Le Fil De Deschamps In/Out De Fonctionnaire!

Andrew Flintoff

PS if you don't think Mort needs to prove his competency then your standards are shocking.

The fact that he's a 'top lawyer' doesn't necessarily qualify him to have conduct of the affairs of a football club. That's not to say he's not up to it, but you're basically saying that it necesarily follows that he does because he's a top lawyer. Completely nonsensical.

I'm a junior lawyer and I don't feel qualified to be chairman of a lower league club.

PS Gordon McKeag was a lawyer by trade.

That is why I'm still surprised he hasn't bought in one or two senior football figures as advisors or non-executive board members.

Ashley has Kelmsley. :D

Harry Redknapp indeed. :icon_lol:

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have him.

While I expected our managerial search to descend into farce following 'Arry's refusal, I'm surprised and pleased that some actual names are being bandied about and we might somehow land one of them.

Shearer will have his time but I don't think it's now. He needs to get involved with Hartlepool/Darlo/Carlisle etc. and get some hands-on experience while still staying on the radar and then move up.

don't see it happening tbh

I am probably in your camp with not really having a clue. It's more about not getting excited by certain names.

I mentioned in another thread that the most important criterion for appointing a manager is that he matches with the club and its philosophy. And I think there are managers despite their superb CVs or playing careers could be failures. And to be a bit arrogant, I've quite often been right with my feeling about managers. I live close to Stuttgart (among the most fickle football fans you can think). When they replaced Trapattoni with Veh, a manager who had more or less only managed lower league teams and been unemployed for a couple of years, I was more or less on my own when I thought, he would be successful because he would really match with the club. A bit over a year later he had lead them to a league title and to a cup final. I was sure about Klinsmann being a success for Germany or most lately Schuster doing brilliant at Madrid (I think I even mentioned it on N-O). I've been in many cases (Gullit for example) though...

I've have to say I am not really a big fan of French, Italian and Spanish football and it is probably because of this think that most players/managers who were brought up in this environment would struggle at Newcastle. Though I know too little about the likes of Pellegrini for example.

Being more nordic orientated I think a manager like Morten Olsen for example who plays a decent football could do a job. Or maybe someone like Michael Laudrup who is now at Getafe (and who I think I mentioned here already a couple of years ago). Of course my favourite would be van Gaal, although I do believe he is far too happy at Alkmaar (and hates English football) to take the job. Another person I always mention who imho would fit in well at Newcastle is George Burley. Or maybe now the likes of Mowbray or Magilton (a bit of an Ipswich school of bringing up a certain kind of managers).

Have to stop here, because I've actually some work to do, I'll try to think of more names more of my liking.

There is some logic to that. You could imagine continental managers being far happier in London, and Deschamps turned down City because there were no French schools (none here either).

French managers have done relatively well in England though, Houllier, Wenger and Tigana initially at least. Then you wopuldn't imagine Rafa would have fitted in with the culture of Liverpool either but.. :D

Didier Deschamps has not been approached for the Newcastle manager's job, but is interested in the position, according to his agent.

The ex-Juventus boss and World Cup winner is the bookmakers' favourite to succeed Sam Allardyce.

"At the moment we do not have contact with the club, nobody has called us," agent Jeannot Werth told BBC Sport.

When asked whether the former France captain was interested in the job Werth replied: "Yes, why not?"

Newcastle chairman Chris Mort has not ruled out appointing a foreign manager, although he insisted he must speak English.

"This is a big job without having to operate through an interpreter," said Mort.

Deschamps is a competent English speaker having spent a season with Chelsea in the 1999/2000 season.

And the 39-year-old has experience in a high-pressure role, guiding Juventus back into Serie A after the Italian giants were relegated in the fallout of the match-fixing scandal.

However, Deschamps resigned 10 months later and has since not been involved in a full-time football role.

As a player he guided France to the World Cup in 1998 and to the European Championships two years later in 2000.

He also won the Champions League and three Serie A titles with Juventus.

Deschamps retired in 2001 but was soon appointed coach of Monaco, helping the French club to the Champions League final in 2004.

From bbc.

Just one thing

Didnt He Buy Boumsong :D

Did a job in Serie B.....

... just not really a good one.

eh? he took them up didn't he?

I thought he meant Boumsong.

Though, even if he meant Deschamps I don't think it was that much of a great job. After all he had a squad with the likes of Buffon, Del Piero, Trezeguet, Nedved etc. to his disposal who you think would play at the top in Seria A. Ten draws, four losses after all. The games I saw were mostly rarther poor. And from the Italians I know here in Germany, some of them Juve fans, they mostly weren't happy with him and quite relieved when he packed in after the season.

Edited by Isegrim

Though, even if he meant Deschamps I don't think it was that much of a great job. After all he had a squad with the likes of Buffon, Del Piero, Trezeguet, Nedved etc. to his disposal who you think would play at the top in Seria A. Ten draws, four losses after all. The games I saw were mostly rarther poor. And from the Italians I know here in Germany, some of them Juve fans, they mostly weren't happy with him and quite relieved when he packed in after the season.

Wolfgang, forgetting Boumsong I think you're being a tad harsh there.

Juventus last season only lost 3 league games, over turned a 15 point deficit to win the league by 6 points!

Can you see any of the british managers we've been liked with doing that?

And you name Del Piero and Nedved neither who are at the peak of their games.

EDIT: Sorry my mistake 4 loses as you rightly pointed out.

Edited by sammynb

Wolfgang, forgetting Boumsong I think you're being a tad harsh there.

Juventus last season only lost 3 league games, over turned a 15 point deficit to win the league by 6 points!

Can you see any of the british managers we've been liked with doing that?

And you name Del Piero and Nedved neither who are at the peak of their games.

EDIT: Sorry my mistake 4 loses as you rightly pointed out.

It was also reduced to a 9 point deficit, wasn't it [EDIT: khay beat me to it]? Del Piero was still their major player and was the best goalscorer in Seria B. I'd actually expect most members of this forum to win promotion with this kind of squad.

Edited by Isegrim