Allardyce still smarting from Newcastle sacking

Jimbo

Allardyce parted company with the Magpies in January after just eight months in charge following a poor start to the season.

But Allardyce, who was appointed by former chairman Freddy Shepherd before last summer's takeover, claims he was not given the backing he had been expecting when he took the job.

"I am smarting," Allardyce told Sky Sports. "I think that for me (given) the timing, and the few games I had, it was a massive shock when they said they were going to make a change.

"At the start of the season we had a short window with the new owners to work with. We had not as much money as I expected.

"I didn't really come for that, I came to spend big money, which is what Freddy did - he was obviously the man that employed me.

"That was obviously the bottom line to make life difficult at some stage.

"I explained that to the new owners and said somewhere down the line we'd get a bit of stick, and they haven't been able to withstand that by the looks of it. I'm a casualty of that.

"I don't think in any way, looking back, any of that was my fault.

"At the time I considered myself to have a chance but since I've left things have been said that I was never their man."

Allardyce firmly believes he could have proved a successful Newcastle manager had the circumstances been different.

The 53-year-old is proud of his managerial record with clubs such as Blackpool, Notts County and particularly Bolton, and hopes his ill-fated spell at St James' Park has not tarnished that.

He added: "You make the right decisions by your own track record. I think I've made the right decisions over the last 16 years by the clubs I've been at, building my reputation.

"That's the disappointing thing for me. I hope it hasn't damaged my reputation."

Allardyce parted company with the Magpies in January after just eight months in charge following a poor start to the season.

But Allardyce, who was appointed by former chairman Freddy Shepherd before last summer's takeover, claims he was not given the backing he had been expecting when he took the job.

"I am smarting," Allardyce told Sky Sports. "I think that for me (given) the timing, and the few games I had, it was a massive shock when they said they were going to make a change.

"At the start of the season we had a short window with the new owners to work with. We had not as much money as I expected.

"I didn't really come for that, I came to spend big money, which is what Freddy did - he was obviously the man that employed me.

"That was obviously the bottom line to make life difficult at some stage.

"I explained that to the new owners and said somewhere down the line we'd get a bit of stick, and they haven't been able to withstand that by the looks of it. I'm a casualty of that.

"I don't think in any way, looking back, any of that was my fault.

"At the time I considered myself to have a chance but since I've left things have been said that I was never their man."

Allardyce firmly believes he could have proved a successful Newcastle manager had the circumstances been different.

The 53-year-old is proud of his managerial record with clubs such as Blackpool, Notts County and particularly Bolton, and hopes his ill-fated spell at St James' Park has not tarnished that.

He added: "You make the right decisions by your own track record. I think I've made the right decisions over the last 16 years by the clubs I've been at, building my reputation.

"That's the disappointing thing for me. I hope it hasn't damaged my reputation."

He wasn't given enough money last summer and that is where the problems began. Another window gone and a loss to an average Boro side saved by the width of the post Mashley still haven't grasped that to have a good side you need to buy good players.

He wasn't given enough money last summer and that is where the problems began. Another window gone and a loss to an average Boro side saved by the width of the post Mashley still haven't grasped that to have a good side you need to buy good players.

I said in August that if given the choice between a modest spend with complete debt write-off and too many average players brought in I'd prefer the former and I stand by that.

I said in August that if given the choice between a modest spend with complete debt write-off and too many average players brought in I'd prefer the former and I stand by that.

Fair point, but our first 11 is seriously wanting.

Fair point, but our first 11 is seriously wanting.

I agree - I'd be happy if none of the 5 midfielders on show today are here next August.

I listened to him on Sky, and a few truths came out and how this board is going to operate, and thats on the cheap! The players he brought in were not the original players that he wanted because they didn't want to spend the money.Can't see it working tho, in this league you need to splash the cash to be up there and amazingly i felt sorry for Sam listening to him like.

And judging by todays game... :razz: it's going to be a long end of the season thats for sure with the shit on display there!

I listened to him on Sky, and a few truths came out and how this board is going to operate, and thats on the cheap! The players he brought in were not the original players that he wanted because they didn't want to spend the money.Can't see it working tho, in this league you need to splash the cash to be up there and amazingly i felt sorry for Sam listening to him like.

And judging by todays game... :razz: it's going to be a long end of the season thats for sure with the shit on display there!

I just hope (and I'm optimistic) that they didn't give Allardyce money because they didn't trust him, and that Keegan will be backed 100% during the summer.

He never mentioned the players names he was after, but I'd like to know who they were before going into if they never trusted him, anyway, they should have backed KK in January, just look at the players here now, I've said it before and I'll say it again, Ashley is scared of putting his money in somebody elses hands

Edited by @yourservice

He made it sound like he had some big names lined up prior to the sale of the club, when Ashley finally took over he wasn't able to bring those players in.

He made it sound like he had some big names lined up prior to the sale of the club, when Ashley finally took over he wasn't able to bring those players in.

Aye but where was the money going to come from for these big names? By the sounds of things we were already in a shitload of debt, I really don't think that Freddy would have had the money to give him to make a huge difference.

And hasn't Keegan came out and said that he has been promised plenty of money in the summer? I don't think he would've taken the job otherwise.

you dont know what to belive , there was so many players named in paper that he was 'meant' to buy , elano, modrik, hutton ect all mentioned .

we need to remeber tho , he spent 5 million on smith, 6 on barton, 6 on enrique , 3 on rozy . that money could have been far better spent , elano wasnt that much , nor hutton at the start of the season , so im putting it down to BS . he got 10 million plus the cash from sale of players, and the actual cash buys he went for have been cash wasted . he's not got a leg to stand on , unless it turns out the board bought barton smith and enrique , we had no need for smith so the cash from him and barton could have bought modrik , enrique's cash could have went on elano .

I ran outta gas! I had a flat tire! I didn't have enough money for cab fare! My tux didn't come back from the cleaners! An old friend came in from outta town! Someone stole my car! There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts!! It wasn't my fault I swear to God!!!

Good English phrases there... :lol:

Whatever..ommm....gimme a bagel to go Mrs Kapowsky...I'm late for math already! ;)

Edited by Asprilla

I ran outta gas! I had a flat tire! I didn't have enough money for cab fare! My tux didn't come back from the cleaners! An old friend came in from outta town! Someone stole my car! There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts!! It wasn't my fault I swear to God!!!

Whatever..ommm....gimme a bagel to go Mrs Kapowsky...I'm late for math already! ;)

Duuuude. B)

Duuuude. B)

Go tell it to the principal! B)

you dont know what to belive , there was so many players named in paper that he was 'meant' to buy , elano, modrik, hutton ect all mentioned .

we need to remeber tho , he spent 5 million on smith, 6 on barton, 6 on enrique , 3 on rozy . that money could have been far better spent , elano wasnt that much , nor hutton at the start of the season , so im putting it down to BS . he got 10 million plus the cash from sale of players, and the actual cash buys he went for have been cash wasted . he's not got a leg to stand on , unless it turns out the board bought barton smith and enrique , we had no need for smith so the cash from him and barton could have bought modrik , enrique's cash could have went on elano .

He was after Anelka and another French player a winger can't remember the name.

He repeated a strange phrase in the press a couple of times as well.."If the owner wants to give me a present that would be great.." Or words to that effect.

I think there is some truth in this in the sense that FS would have promised him a lot more money than he ended up getting from Mashley.

Smith being a Mashley buy I thought was common knowledge.

Edited by Park Life

He was after Anelka and another French player a winger can't remember the name.

Whether he wanted him or not, it was never ever going to happen.

Fucking hell and your proof for the truth of that statement is what?

The shirt he wears???

Christ don't wet your pants. It could be bollocks. :lol:

Fucking hell and your proof for the truth of that statement is what?

The shirt he wears???

Christ don't wet your pants. It could be bollocks. :lol:

See here is where you look like a twat.

Followed by

It could be bollocks.

Really does nothing for your agrument.

So what are you Arthur or Martha?