Top clubs consider overseas games

Tom

Is the PL more concerned about business or the sport itself?

Actually that's a silly question.

Yup. :P

It's pretty obvious considering why the PL broke away from the league.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More proof, if ever it was needed, that the games gone to shit. Those running the game totally out of touch with the real fan. Shocking idea, although it won't affect us, it'll only be a game featuring either Manure/Chelsea/Liverpool playing each other.

More proof, if ever it was needed, that the games gone to shit. Those running the game totally out of touch with the real fan. Shocking idea, although it won't affect us, it'll only be a game featuring either Manure/Chelsea/Liverpool playing each other.

It's pretty in touch with the overseas fans. I must have imagined all these forum members that spend hundreds just to come over here to see a Toon game once in their life.

Apparently not. The word is that it can, and will, include all clubs and the 'big' boys will be seeded (or somesuch) so that they avoid each other during these games.

Mihir Bose is a tosser who once said that the sunderland chairman Bob Reid should be involved in the design and construction of the New Wembley stadium because he had done a good job with the New Wembley

I kid you not

Why do tossers read papers that have articles produced by such tossers like this utter arsehole.

Mihir Bose ? Sounds like a couple of hifi speakers, the stupid cunt.

Edited by LeazesMag

If these games are to count for points and the top teams are seded not to play each other it would be grossly unfair.

If you look at the current league table and say Fulham had a couple more points and say they were drawn against Derby and suppose Wigan were drawn against one of the big 4 and lost it would keep Fulham up and send Wigan down. At the moment the system is fair as all teams play each other home and away but the propsed extra game will give those with an easy draw an unfair advantage.

This is by far the most important reason that this shouldnt happen.

The margins between relegation. qualification for Europe etc means the extra three points available would completetly destroy the integrity of the competition. all the rest of the arguments are just blah, the game sold its soul a long time ago.

Mihir Bose is a tosser who once said that the sunderland chairman Bob Reid should be involved in the design and construction of the New Wembley stadium because he had done a good job with the New Wembley

I kid you not

Why do tossers read papers that have articles produced by such tossers like this utter arsehole.

Mihir Bose ? Sounds like a couple of hifi speakers, the stupid cunt.

He works for the Beeb. Chief Sports editor would you believe. Always seems a bit clueless to me like.

If these games are to count for points and the top teams are seded not to play each other it would be grossly unfair.

If you look at the current league table and say Fulham had a couple more points and say they were drawn against Derby and suppose Wigan were drawn against one of the big 4 and lost it would keep Fulham up and send Wigan down. At the moment the system is fair as all teams play each other home and away but the propsed extra game will give those with an easy draw an unfair advantage.

The margins between relegation. qualification for Europe etc means the extra three points available would completetly destroy the integrity of the competition. all the rest of the arguments are just blah, the game sold its soul a long time ago.

It goes off the season before I think so the team that was 2nd the year before could play 6th, while 1st play 16th or something. Seems grossly unfair apart from all the other reasons. I also think it's a bit sad how these games would be packed to the rafters but no one in places like Japan, China, Thailand etc. supports their local sides.

NFL is a whole different game - franchises are moved at will and its completely setup for TV - there is no travelling support.

I'd also say that people who went to the NFL game at wembley would be "sky boy" type sports fans - completely at home with the franchise mentality and that of picking a random team in another continent to "support".

If someone in Singapore wants to pay to watch games on TV I have no objection - but if they want to prevent my "right" to see my team play if I so choose then they can fuck off.

I say all this knowing I would probably be daft enough to go to a game there.

1 - you'd be surprised

2- Totally different, as there is no local equivalent to support IF you like that sport. You can't apply traditional football fan values (sadly) to a vast marketplace.

Big difference between the NFL and the Prem League in that there are only 32 teams in the whole of the continental USA and the game is built around TV because of the vast market that exists for the very few teams.

The prem league are basically following the NFL model to promote the 20 teams (or however many it ends up) through TV and playing abroad to a vast audience. The need for local fans is becomming secondary and sadly I think that is irreversable. The local market is saturated.

If you think about it how hard would it really be to top the income generated by 50,000 fans who actually attend games,with a global TV audience, 1 million viewiers anywhere on the planet paying a quid a game for TV would do it, and they'll get a heck of a lot more viewers than that.

Thin end of the wedge this proposal IMO, Cue NFL style playoffs and a Superbowl equivalent for the Championship played abroad in the "highest bidder" city, it'd make gazillions.

I don't see anything wrong with play-offs, they create a bit of drama and excitement, and prevent the end of season pointless mid-table games. One offs are OK for cup competitions, so why not the league? There doesn't seem to be a differentiation between a good cup side and a good league side anymore, the top 4 walk away with both. That said, the PL should have been split years ago, there are too many big teams in the championship, and too many games in the Prem.

Also, we should seriously consider a draft system to get the league back to a level, sporting merit based system rather than a money=success model.

As for the locals not supporting local teams, why would they when most of their football stars are in our country? Half the African nations teams had European based players in. This is the flip side of taking the piss out of Bekham going to America, if no-one wants to see the US/Asian/Japanese leagues improve and would rather steal all their talent, rather than see continents compete for the best players, then prepare to see a PL game Los Angeles or Tokyo.

I don't see anything wrong with play-offs, they create a bit of drama and excitement, and prevent the end of season pointless mid-table games. One offs are OK for cup competitions, so why not the league? There doesn't seem to be a differentiation between a good cup side and a good league side anymore, the top 4 walk away with both. That said, the PL should have been split years ago, there are too many big teams in the championship, and too many games in the Prem.

Also, we should seriously consider a draft system to get the league back to a level, sporting merit based system rather than a money=success model.

As for the locals not supporting local teams, why would they when most of their football stars are in our country? Half the African nations teams had European based players in. This is the flip side of taking the piss out of Bekham going to America, if no-one wants to see the US/Asian/Japanese leagues improve and would rather steal all their talent, rather than see continents compete for the best players, then prepare to see a PL game Los Angeles or Tokyo.

Fuck off to America if you love it so much. :P

Fuck off to America if you love it so much. :P

I have visa complications.

Brian Glanville has it spot on - while this may have been inevitable it's utterly repugnant. The whole game is geared towards money but I can't help but agree with him that there is a danger of killing the goose that lays the golden egg. The average age of supporters is going up all the time and you can see it clearly at places like SJP.

Go team Newcastle!

dallas_cheerleaders.jpg

This is where the mentality is fundamentally different and thats what I was getting at.

I support NUFC. I don't care where any of the players come from. I also don't care who geordie or ex-Newcastle or English players play for.

Club before players, club before country, players are nothing in comparison - this is by and large the way English and European football fans think. If that means there is a culture clash then I accept that but I don't want to see us pander to what I think is alien.

It goes off the season before I think so the team that was 2nd the year before could play 6th, while 1st play 16th or something. Seems grossly unfair apart from all the other reasons. I also think it's a bit sad how these games would be packed to the rafters but no one in places like Japan, China, Thailand etc. supports their local sides.

I am not even that arsed about theoretically playing abroad. These days I am primarily an armchair fan anyway, so ant TV game is a plus for me. I just cant get passed the inherent unfairness of a random extra game

Edited by spongebob toonpants

To clarify what I meant about supporting their local teams, I meant attending games. That's why I said support - an alien concept to some admittedly :P (taking the piss before anyone calls me a soopafan). The attendances in these countries are pitiful iirc. If they were true football fans instead of glory hunters they'd go to games and that would in turn develop the game in their own countries. Something this won't do imo - see the long-term impact of World Cups in the USA and Japan/S. Korea.

To clarify what I meant about supporting their local teams, I meant attending games. That's why I said support - an alien concept to some admittedly :P (taking the piss before anyone calls me a soopafan). The attendances in these countries are pitiful iirc. If they were true football fans instead of glory hunters they'd go to games and that would in turn develop the game in their own countries. Something this won't do imo - see the long-term impact of World Cups in the USA and Japan/S. Korea.

Football is too graceful and complicated for Americans. If things aren't exploding or beefcakes aren't running into each other at 30mph they don't really think it's a sport.

Football is too graceful and complicated for Americans. If things aren't exploding or beefcakes aren't running into each other at 30mph they don't really think it's a sport.

You really got to the essence of my point there. Well done.

Brian Glanville has it spot on - while this may have been inevitable it's utterly repugnant. The whole game is geared towards money but I can't help but agree with him that there is a danger of killing the goose that lays the golden egg. The average age of supporters is going up all the time and you can see it clearly at places like SJP.

The average age of supporters attending matches may be going up, but there's plenty of younguns who follow the game via the box, and that's where the real money is.

There's a whole new flock of geese on the block, the old one has been culled.