The 2008 Champions League 1/4s & 1/2s

Park Life

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gerrard never had a kick in the match. Great pen though when it really mattered.

Tbf to him he did admit after the game that that was one of his worst performances in a Liverpool shirt, though it is always easier to be humble when you've won the game.

Gerrard never had a kick in the match. Great pen though when it really mattered.

Tbf to him he did admit after the game that that was one of his worst performances in a Liverpool shirt, though it is always easier to be humble when you've won the game.

Aye, I thought that was good of him to say that. He's still a twat like.

I just cant do with Gerrard, because he is English he gets away with diving and moaning at the refs. Great player and I think the biased commentry from Green, Tydsley and Thompson has a lot to do with it and also the biased media full stop.

Fine example in the player ratings in the paper this morning. 9/10 for Gerrard? Why? Maybe for having the nerve on the pen , but 9/10 for a poor first half and a mediocre second?

If Liverpoo win the UCL this season UEFA have to sort out the CL IMO. Top 2 should go into CL the rest UEFA Cup. Its devaluing the UCL IMO.

The obsession some people on here seem to have with wanting Liverpool to fail is quite disturbing...

A view that has nothing to do with your scouse girlfriend of course :icon_lol:

Like I said, I couldn't care who'd won it all i was interested in seeing was a good game of football which is what we got...

No-one enjoys winding her up more than me so your theory is counter-productive.

To be fair though, who the fuck wants to have to listen to that lot crow about winning it again.

if it was between us and them - fair enough, i'd want us to win obviously...

but as we're not in it i don't care who wins so long as it's a decent game. THAT tonight was a classic cup match and anyone who says otherwise has an agenda.

If Liverpool won on playing the better football then I'd say fair enough even though I can't stand the turds. But once again dodgy decisions have gone their way. Three times against Arsenal, two blatant pens for the Arse turned down, one 50/50 for Pool is given. Boils my piss. :blush:

But hey, at least Craig will get some tonight so it's all good! :(

They do get an awful lot of descisions for sure.

I just cant do with Gerrard, because he is English he gets away with diving and moaning at the refs. Great player and I think the biased commentry from Green, Tydsley and Thompson has a lot to do with it and also the biased media full stop.

Fine example in the player ratings in the paper this morning. 9/10 for Gerrard? Why? Maybe for having the nerve on the pen , but 9/10 for a poor first half and a mediocre second?

If Liverpoo win the UCL this season UEFA have to sort out the CL IMO. Top 2 should go into CL the rest UEFA Cup. Its devaluing the UCL IMO.

The kind of background idea has been to broaden the lucrativity of the competition to a wider tier and in some senses encourage the feeling of what ultimately could be a breakaway league. UCL is trying to protect itself by being inclusive to say a top four and keep them tied to Uefa and not be tempted away to another breakaway league...If that makes sense.

The kind of background idea has been to broaden the lucrativity of the competition to a wider tier and in some senses encourage the feeling of what ultimately could be a breakaway league. UCL is trying to protect itself by being inclusive to say a top four and keep them tied to Uefa and not be tempted away to another breakaway league...If that makes sense.

It does but its bull shit IMO.

Exactly. The current format is the best possible compromise. If the other side of things is a breakaway leagua that be would terrible for football full stop. Fine the way it is.

Exactly. The current format is the best possible compromise. If the other side of things is a breakaway leagua that be would terrible for football full stop. Fine the way it is.

The old format was romantic in its idea that only real Champions were competing but my god most of the matches were incredible dull. Two legs between a side from the top leagues against the Cypriot champion or a similar were totally one-sided and boring.

The old format was romantic in its idea that only real Champions were competing but my god most of the matches were incredible dull. Two legs between a side from the top leagues against the Cypriot champion or a similar were totally one-sided and boring.

I'd agree there, the standard of football is much higher now in it. I know where Khay is coming from though and I think 4 teams from the top leagues is a bit much but, as MattM4 says, the alternative is much worse.

I guess the clue is in the name...Champions LEAGUE...

It's a breakaway league without the breakaway. We never complained when we got in and we never won the Premiership.... :icon_lol:

Is the 'Champions' bit to throw people off the scent? :(

I guess the clue is in the name...Champions LEAGUE...

It's a breakaway league without the breakaway. We never complained when we got in and we never won the Premiership.... :(

Is the 'Champions' bit to throw people off the scent? :blush:

:icon_lol:

Touche!!

Aye but when Liverpool conatntly finish outside the top three it isnt right really is it? They dont start the seaosn yet seem to finish strong enough to sneek in.

They're just better suited to playing in Europe in general I think. And they qualify under the same rules as everyone else and they've made the semis 3 times in 4 years which is a fantastic achievement. And that's from someone who hates them.

Aye but when Liverpool conatntly finish outside the top three it isnt right really is it? They dont start the seaosn yet seem to finish strong enough to sneek in.

Same for everybody though and like someone has already alluded to, we weren't complaining when we got in, were we??

It's what happens over 38 games, not just the start of the season too...

Agree with what Isegrim has said - whilst the European Cup should be the champions playing oen another, the countries aren't equal on performance and it becomes terribly dull. The other extreme is a breakaway league but that would simply end up alienating those of us left and a Premiership title would be seriously under-valued if Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool & Man Utd aren't involved.

They've got it about right. Liverpool succeed because they're well suited to European football and not so in the Premiership. I remember making that observation back in 2004 when Benitez hadn't been in charge long. I think Liverpool seem to rise to an occassion better than others and that is why I think they beat Chelsea in the two semis and Arsenal last night.

I have a feeling it's going to be a Liverpool v Barca final - dunno why but I just have that feeling that Man Utd are feeling too cocky and are gonna end up with egg on their faces.

Same for everybody though and like someone has already alluded to, we weren't complaining when we got in, were we??

It's what happens over 38 games, not just the start of the season too...

Agree with what Isegrim has said - whilst the European Cup should be the champions playing oen another, the countries aren't equal on performance and it becomes terribly dull. The other extreme is a breakaway league but that would simply end up alienating those of us left and a Premiership title would be seriously under-valued if Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool & Man Utd aren't involved.

They've got it about right. Liverpool succeed because they're well suited to European football and not so in the Premiership. I remember making that observation back in 2004 when Benitez hadn't been in charge long. I think Liverpool seem to rise to an occassion better than others and that is why I think they beat Chelsea in the two semis and Arsenal last night.

I have a feeling it's going to be a Liverpool v Barca final - dunno why but I just have that feeling that Man Utd are feeling too cocky and are gonna end up with egg on their faces.

There will be a breakaway league. When and how who knows....They will incorporate some kind of linkage to the national leagues for sure. Just as business became extra (outside of) national so will will football at the highest level. The fact that we already see signs that the best part of the PL is finding it hard to compete with the summit so it will be a progression.

Edited by Park Life

It'll totally devalue the Premiership if it does.

The cream of Europe (including the English players) will want to play there and we'll be stuck with some utter shite playing staff. National league linkage or not, if such a league does start, it'll only grow further and further away from the domestic leagues over time.

The cream of Europe (including the English players) will want to play there and we'll be stuck with some utter shite playing staff. National league linkage or not, if such a league does start, it'll only grow further and further away from the domestic leagues over time.

They don't give a fuck about the PL.

I can see all the issues regarding a breakaway league believe me. But once the money (tv, mastercard, toyota etc) is in place...It will happen. Italian clubs organise their own tv money already iirc.

Slowly football is being pulled away from its roots....The tipping point has already happenned where more money comes from media and perhaps overseas interest rather than the core game going support.

Edited by Park Life

I honestly believe that any such league would only be successful in the short term, soon fans will grow weary of it and return to a football product they feel they have some degree of investment in(both monetarily and emotionally).

I honestly believe that any such league would only be successful in the short term, soon fans will grow weary of it and return to a football product they feel they have some degree of investment in(both monetarily and emotionally).

I seem to remember a similar thing was said about the Premier League when it was first set up....