The 2008 Champions League 1/4s & 1/2s

Park Life

It'll totally devalue the Premiership if it does.

The cream of Europe (including the English players) will want to play there and we'll be stuck with some utter shite playing staff. National league linkage or not, if such a league does start, it'll only grow further and further away from the domestic leagues over time.

I honestly believe that any such league would only be successful in the short term, soon fans will grow weary of it and return to a football product they feel they have some degree of investment in(both monetarily and emotionally).

I seem to remember a similar thing was said about the Premier League when it was first set up....

That was just a new coat of paint really though. Agree with Fish.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cream of Europe (including the English players) will want to play there and we'll be stuck with some utter shite playing staff. National league linkage or not, if such a league does start, it'll only grow further and further away from the domestic leagues over time.

They don't give a fuck about the PL.

I can see all the issues regarding a breakaway league believe me. But once the money (tv, mastercard, toyota etc) is in place...It will happen. Italian clubs organise their own tv money already iirc.

I totally disagree. Most clubs have already realised that an European league won't work for a foreseeable future as it can't create the same (financial) attraction as the national leagues. Look at attendances, but also atthe revenue created especially by TV money in both the domestic leagues and the European competition. The Championsleague is a nice bonus as it is now (as it helps to widen the gap to other domestic teams), but wouldn't work as a breakaway league on its own.

Edited by Isegrim

I honestly believe that any such league would only be successful in the short term, soon fans will grow weary of it and return to a football product they feel they have some degree of investment in(both monetarily and emotionally).

Tribal? :icon_lol:

I can see all the issues regarding a breakaway league believe me. But once the money (tv, mastercard, toyota etc) is in place...It will happen. Italian clubs organise their own tv money already iirc.

I totally disagree. Most clubs have already realised that an European league won't work for a foreseeable future as it can't create the same (financial) attraction as the national leagues. Look at attendances, but also atthe revenue created especially by TV money in both the domestic leagues and the European competition. The Championsleague is a nice bonus as it is now (as it helps to widen the gap to other domestic teams), but wouldn't work as a breakaway league on its own.

Trickle down is a nice idea but when big business and branding gets hold of something it normally ends up as summat totally different.

But if you and others are holding faith in the average football supporter don't hold your breath.

For me the structure now is about right.....But for clubs who want to keep all the money and be in a league it is almost impossible to get relegated out of that is another thing and as more big money comes into football it will unfortunately be a business descision on many levels sadly.

How many shirts do Man U or Barca sell abroad or internationally compared to their core support....?

But I agree it would be a quantum leap but don't doubt dark minds in air conditioned offices aren't looking at the get go.

Edited by Park Life

Aye but when Liverpool conatntly finish outside the top three it isnt right really is it? They dont start the seaosn yet seem to finish strong enough to sneek in.

'05 = 5th place finish

'06 = 3rd place finish

'07 = 3rd place finish :icon_lol:

Maybe your thoughts would have more substance if you got your basic facts straight first.

Trickle down is a nice idea but when big business and branding gets hold of something it normally ends up as summat totally different.

But if you and others are holding faith in the average football supporter don't hold your breath.

For me the structure now is about right.....But for clubs who want to keep all the money and be in a league it is almost impossible to get relegated out of that is another thing and as more big money comes into football it will unfortunately be a business descision on many levels sadly.

How many shirts do Man U or Barca sell abroad or internationally compared to their core support....?

But I agree it would be a quantum leap but don't doubt dark minds in air conditioned offices aren't looking at the get go.

Of course it is a business decision, but as far as I know clubs have realised themselves that the domestic leagues are the core of their business that can get replaced by a international league. That's why they scrapped most of their revolutionary plans already about ten years ago and I don't think they will come up with them in the foreseeable future.

Edited by Isegrim

Aye but when Liverpool conatntly finish outside the top three it isnt right really is it? They dont start the seaosn yet seem to finish strong enough to sneek in.

'05 = 5th place finish

'06 = 3rd place finish

Maybe your thoughts would have more substance if you got your basic facts straight first.

Two swallows don't make a summer, although they may result in 1 mins silence. :(:blush:

Edited by Fop

'05 = 5th place finish

'06 = 3rd place finish

Two swallows don't make a summer, although they may result in 1 mins silence. :(:blush:

You learned nothing at that goading school you went to then?

oh yay... a liverpool fan. Now things will be sensible...

now now David..... play nicely.... :icon_lol:

Craig's lass has obviously hacked his account man. :(

I find the hatred in this thread for the top, successful teams astounding.

Make us sound like bitter Geordies tbh

I don't mind clubs being successful, it's how the media pander to them and the general setup in world football is only helping them get further away

I don't mind clubs being successful, it's how the media pander to them and the general setup in world football is only helping them get further away

It's not hatred for successful teams Wacky

it's utter contempt for Liverpool fans. :icon_lol:

It's not hatred for successful teams Wacky

it's utter contempt for Liverpool fans. :icon_lol:

Nine out of ten? :icon_lol: Which rag was that in?

Think it was the mail or express.

Says it all though dont it :(

on the official UEFA site also... it also said he was the fan's man of the match... :blush:

Nine out of ten? :icon_lol: Which rag was that in?

Think it was the mail or express.

Says it all though dont it :(

on the official UEFA site also... it also said he was the fan's man of the match... :blush:

Ridiculous.

'05 = 5th place finish

'06 = 3rd place finish

Ahh right, my mistake, so when you finish 4th this season it makes it ok?

IMO it doesnt. I agree with what has been said regarding the standard of football but the UEFA Cup has become very poor IMO and having the top 3 from the EPL wouldnt degrade the UCL much and having another few countries do the same Spain, Italy etc and we could have a better Uefa Cup?

'05 = 5th place finish

'06 = 3rd place finish

Ahh right, my mistake, so when you finish 4th this season it makes it ok?

IMO it doesnt. I agree with what has been said regarding the standard of football but the UEFA Cup has become very poor IMO and having the top 3 from the EPL wouldnt degrade the UCL much and having another few countries do the same Spain, Italy etc and we could have a better Uefa Cup?

Your comments appeared to be specifically aimed at Liverpool, I was just pointing out your lack of knowledge on the subject. I won't be too unhappy if we finish 4th this season, I do take issue to your comments being presented as fact though. If we get past Chelsea in the semi there's a good chance our league form will suffer allowing Everton to get 4th. On the other hand Arsenal could carry on their freefall, and we carry on the decent run we've been on and take 3rd.

I won't be too unhappy if we finish 4th this season

This is the thing I don't understand, I think you've got a right to be unhappy at finishing fourth. As far as the league goes you basically haven't progressed at all since Benitez took over, despite him being backed in the transfer market. Surely after all the time he has been there yous should be expecting to make a realistic title challenge imo.

This is the thing I don't understand, I think you've got a right to be unhappy at finishing fourth. As far as the league goes you basically haven't progressed at all since Benitez took over, despite him being backed in the transfer market. Surely after all the time he has been there yous should be expecting to make a realistic title challenge imo.

Exacertdly. :icon_lol:

Depends what he means like. At the start of the season they'd have been aiming higher than that for sure. 4th's about the best they can realistically get now imo. I know where you're coming from though, the CL runs have kept Benitez in a job.

Guest Stevie

Gerrard 9 oh dear.

I like Gerrard and his honesty, he's a good lad for a scouser, and he said this "tonight has been one of the very worst games I've played in a Liverpool shirt" he wasn't that bad but 5 or 6 certainly never 9.