Tuesday Gossip

Jimbo

Liverpool could capture Brazil winger Amanatino Mancini for a cut-price £4m as he looks set buy out the last year of his contract at Roma. (Mirror)

Tottenham have begun talks with Valencia over £16m-rated striker David Villa, who they see as a perfect replacement for Dimitar Berbatov. Spurs also want to sign Sevilla winger Diego Capel. (Daily Mail)

Newcastle want West Ham striker Dean Ashton, and are also interested in Everton left-back Leighton Baines and Rangers defender Carlos Cuellar. (Various)

Spaniard Cuellar could be landed as part of a swap deal involving £5m-rated Alan Smith. (Mirror)32909153bl4.gif

Magpies boss Kevin Keegan is also looking at bringing in Manchester City defender Richard Dunne. (The Independent)

Sunderland will hand manager Roy Keane an £80m transfer kitty. (The Sun)

Blackburn striker Roque Santa Cruz has pledged his long-term future to the club, despite reported interest from Manchester United. (Various)

Bolton manager Gary Megson will bid £5m for Birmingham midfielder Fabrice Muamba if he keeps the Trotters in the Premier League. (Various)

Juventus want Portsmouth midfielder Sulley Muntari. (Daily Star)

Middlesbrough are lining up a move for Cardiff centre-back Roger Johnson and will pay £1.2m for him. (Mirror)

Sheffield United striker James Beattie has turned down an £8m move to Middlesbrough. (Daily Star)

Nottingham Forest and Leeds are locked in a battle to sign Doncaster left-back Gareth Roberts. (Mirror)

Scunthorpe manager Nigel Adkins is hoping to sign highly-rated Barnet winger Albert Adomah in a deal worth about £400,000. (Daily Star)

Oldham midfielder Gary McDonald is wanted by Aberdeen. (Daily Star)

Wolves have insisted Wayne Hennessey, Sylvain Ebanks-Blake and Michael Kightly are not for sale. (Various)

Brighton and Swindon are in competition for the signature of Salisbury goalkeeper Ryan Clarke. (Daily Star)

Swindon have offered on-loan Fulham youngster Michael Timlin a permanent deal. (Daily Star)

OTHER GOSSIP

Sven-Goran Eriksson will be sacked as Manchester City boss after only one season in charge. The Swede came away from an "unpleasant" meeting with club owner Thaksin Shinawatra on Monday feeling shell-shocked. (Various)

Blackburn striker Roque Santa Cruz has pledged his long-term future to the club, despite reported interest from Manchester United. (Mirror)

Former Italy boss Marcello Lippi believes his compatriot Fabio Capello faces a difficult time in charge of England because of the lack of home-grown players in the Premier League. (Mirror)

Cesc Fabregas is clinging on a to a tiny hope that Arsenal could still leapfrog Chelsea and Manchester United to claim the Premier League title. "Nothing is impossible," he said. "We have to win our last two games and the we will see. We are not the favourites but you never know." (Various)

However, the Spain midfielder admitted he will feel very jealous when he watches the Champions League semi-finals. Of the four teams left in the competition, he said: "I really want to be in their position right now." (Mirror)

Dutch legend Johan Cruyff has backed Barcelona to triumph over Manchester United on Tuesday to make it through to the Champions League final. "I am convinced it will be a great day for Barcelona," he said. (Mirror)

And Barca striker Thierry Henry has stoked up the rivalry by claiming Old Trafford is not as intimidating as playing at Liverpool's home ground Anfield. (The Sun)

However, United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has dismissed suggestions his side are feeling the pressure and snapped: "We are not cracking up. I remain confident we can come out on top." (Various)

Leicester will replace manager Ian Holloway with Iain Dowie at the end of the season if they are relegated from the Championship. (Various)

Stevenage boss Peter Taylor is set to quit in the hope of securing a position at a Football League club. (Mirror)

Barnsley skipper Brian Howard, who has been named in the PFA's Championship team of the year, is eager to sign a new deal with the club. (Mirror)

AND FINALLY

Relegation-threatened Sheffield Wednesday have slashed admission prices for their must-win last game of the season, against Norwich on Sunday, to just £10 in an effort to get a 40,000 full-house. (Daily Star)

Everton's Joleon Lescott has had a bet with his Aston-Villa supporting cousin over which team will finish highest in the league. Should he lose, the defender's forfeit is to wear a Villa shirt while sitting down to Christmas dinner with the family. (Various)

I think this is going to be the case right through the summer. The media will have a field day linking us with every player going.

Not bastard Ashton. Please no.

I quite rate Ashton. Give him a decent injury-free run and I could see him being a good replacement for Viduka tbh

Not bastard Ashton. Please no.

I quite rate Ashton. Give him a decent injury-free run and I could see him being a good replacement for Viduka tbh

Agreed

I really can't see the Smith/Cueller deal have much truth to it and is probably just another spin on the constant linking us with SPL players with the fact that over the last few years Smith has been linked with Rangers purely on the basis that he watches them from time to time so the Scottish media claim he is a Rangers supporter. That being said I would be happy with the deal if there was any truth in it.

Whilst its purely speculation some of the player getting linked in/out seem pretty decent to me for the type of money being banded about. If we recouped a couple of million for Rozenhal yet got Dunne for 5, swopped Cueller and Smith and yesterday I seen Milner was linked with Villa again (that journo over on the Blackburn forum has been saying for weeks that Villa want him for around 5 or 6 million and he wants to go). If we could get someone like SWP for around 10 and bring in 5 or 6 for Milner that would see us with Cueller, Dunne and SWP for around 7 million net leaving Keegan with plenty for his "big signings" that he keeps talking about.

I've heard £6m for Smith elsewhere, if we get £6m for Smith and £4m for Shola we are laughing ;)

If we get £6m for the pair of them it's daylight robbery.

I've heard £6m for Smith elsewhere, if we get £6m for Smith and £4m for Shola we are laughing ;)

If we get £6m for the pair of them it's daylight robbery.

:razz:

Although with the stupid money at the moment, nothing seems surprising.

Newcastle are also interested in Everton left-back Leighton Baines

Stevie might have his day yet.... ;)

You got your bags packed Sima? :razz: