Fergie launches Owen bid

Jimbo

FERGIE LAUNCHES OWEN BID

By ANDY DUNN and DAVID HARRISON

MANCHESTER UNITED have taken the first steps in a sensational move to sign Michael Owen.

Informal contact has been made between United and Owen's representatives over a summer transfer.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson believes he can snap up the England striker for a cut-price £7million and is pushing for a speedy conclusion to the deal.

Sir Alex will go on and on, says Dalglish: Click here for full story

Fergie: It's unthinkable we won't win a trophy: Click here for full story

The United boss is convinced Owen can provide the missing ingredient to his strike force – a penalty box predator who can convert half chances.

Fergie confirmed this week that an Owen-type striker was high on his list of summer targets.

Louis Saha looks certain to be unloaded and Sir Alex said: "We will buy. Along with Carlos Tevez and Wayne Rooney, we may need experience in one forward position, somebody to take over from Ryan Giggs eventually."

Owen's recent goal-scoring form has convinced Fergie he can still cut it at the highest level. However, he would probably want to sign the striker on an incentive-based contract, dependent on games and goals.

United's interest comes at a time when Owen's future at Newcastle has been thrown into serious doubt.

Talks have yet to begin on a new contract and the indications are that he will be expected to take a £40,000-a-week cut on his £120,000-a-week earnings.

That will be rejected by Owen and he will either press for an immediate move or see out the last year of his deal and go for free in 2009.

Meanwhile, Fergie will pick up a £500,000 bonus if he leads United to the double and nd his weekly wages will rise from £70,000 to £90,000.

Id like Owen to stay, but as usual if a player wants to leave then I think they might as well go. Also better for him to go and us get £££ for him than him walk for nothing. Much as I dont like them, Man Utd are a huge club and if they want you, you can understand a player wanting to go there.

If that`s true he`s off. He`s motivated by two things: money and England caps. I can`t stand the little sneak despite all he did for us.

Owen is a fantastic player but imo is over rated and not worth £120,000 a week. Sorry to see him go to man.u. but if true lets get some decent cash for him while we can. I've always had this feeling that he has never really settled here.

KK will be livid if this goes through.

As he should be. :D

Fucking hell, one minute you're dreaming of a successful future, the next you're thinking it's all about to fall apart again.

;):D

I call shenanigans.

However I would be very disappointed, having Manchester United come in and casually steal arguably your best asset is a piss take. Especially for pennies!

£5m for Chopra and £2m more gets you Owen? No way. I am aware of his contract situation but if we aren't desperate for the money I would rather we kept Owen till his contract was up and then let him go for a free.

We have been taking one step forward and a few steps back for a while now. However it could just be another magical news story or Owen's agent trying to keep that £40k a week.

Informal contact has been made between United and Owen's representatives over a summer transfer.

Isn't this tapping up?

I doubt this is true tbh the only quote says he is looking for a Ryan Giggs replacement and Owen's a completely different player. Like T-Keith said I seriously doubt we'd sell for £7m even if his contract is running out.

after the match today

"news reports that you're interested in signing michael owen over summer, any truth there"

ferguson: *confused look* "no, none at all"

think I'll believe the quotes for now

Never Liked Owen, never wanted to sign him

Overpriced and over paid, wrecks himself rushing back to england duty then we get to pay for his helicopter flights and rehab...

i'd let him go for 10m no problem, any less than that i'd say "fine let's see if you can get 110k a week next year and leave for free"

would manu etc want him next year? not a chance, he'd be scrambling to get another big money deal of us

Your in fucking trouble when Leazes sees you here. :icon_lol:

Overpriced and over paid, wrecks himself rushing back to england duty then we get to pay for his helicopter flights and rehab...

i'd let him go for 10m no problem, any less than that i'd say "fine let's see if you can get 110k a week next year and leave for free"

would manu etc want him next year? not a chance, he'd be scrambling to get another big money deal of us

We will be a SIGNIFICANTLY worse team without him and we won't find anyone to replace him very easily at all, and anyone we do find I guarantee you will be a step down. So aye, let's get rid eh.

We will be a SIGNIFICANTLY worse team without him and we won't find anyone to replace him very easily at all, and anyone we do find I guarantee you will be a step down. So aye, let's get rid eh.

Agreed, Owen is still a top player well above the level of player we can hope to attract at this moment so we definitely need to hang onto him especially now he's not getting injured all the time.

Main thing for me is think of whatever was pay him in wages and what transfer fee we would get for him. Now if we only had that money, we can replace him and be of a similar standard?

Here is my list :

Agreed, Owen is still a top player well above the level of player we can hope to attract at this moment so we definitely need to hang onto him especially now he's not getting injured all the time.

Keeping Mickey is a no brainer really.

whats Owen's stats for 3yrs about 45ish apps and maybe 20goals in all comps

not exactly staggering considering the time frame.

suppose he'll stay fit for as long as cappello doesn't want him on for england

can't see manutd buying him anyways so this is probably irrelevant

Not his fault he's been injured though, even if his time with us has been particularly injury prone even by his standards. But touch wood he seems to be doing quite well fitness wise now. And if he plays, he scores. We really need to hang onto him.

Newcastle United boss Kevin Keegan has poured cold water on reports linking Michael Owen with Manchester United.

Reports over the weekend suggested Manchester United chief Sir Alex Ferguson was considering a move for Owen after revealing he is in the market for a new striker.

Owen's future on Tyneside has been the subject of intense speculation for the last few months with the player yet to sign a new deal at St James' Park.

Keegan is keen to keep the England international and has pleaded with the club's money men to sort out the former Liverpool's star's future.

Asked about the Owen link with newly-crowned Premier League champions Manchester United, Keegan quipped: "Don't believe all that you have read!"

Medical

Meanwhile, one player on the brink of leaving Newcastle is defender Peter Ramage with Queens Park Rangers closing in on his signature.

The Magpies made Ramage available for transfer for last week and QPR have moved quickly to try and lure him to Loftus Road.

The 24-year-old is believed to be undergoing a medical ahead of a proposed move to Rangers after making his farewell appearance as a late substitute in the 3-1 defeat to Everton on Sunday.

they don't need owen anyway, he's the wrong type of striker, they're replaced saha with this move so theyneed someone who can hold up a little, win headers and such they tevez can't do, someone like berbatov or benzema

Guest alex
they don't need owen anyway, he's the wrong type of striker, they're replaced saha with this move so theyneed someone who can hold up a little, win headers and such they tevez can't do, someone like berbatov or benzema

That's why I think it's bollocks too.