Who's holding back on here?

Park Life

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you be peaved with Ashley trying to sort out the mess you're in financially?

Surely you should be pleased he is securing the future of your club?

I agree. People are desperate for overnight solutions though. Despite them not having worked in the past.

Whoa there Neddy, Ashley's done an okay job of sorting said finances out, but what's the point if you're unable to compete at the end of the table where you actually make money? We could at least have bulked up the squad a bit even if it wasn't with top star players. I never expected us to get enough top players in to challenge the top four but there's plenty of good squad players out there we could have brought in by now. I've said before that you don't make money without spending it and that part of football is no different to any other business.

And for the record I'm pretty sure transfers can't be that bloody difficult to sort, unless you're a penny pinching, tight-arsed fat southern miser.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

start of the season for me tbh, if they aren't in by then they're not going to have had any time with us before matches are rolling by and that's time we can't afford to give players for certain positions(centre mid for one)

Says the man who has the player which contradicts all of this in his avatar!

Why would you be peaved with Ashley trying to sort out the mess you're in financially?

I agree. People are desperate for overnight solutions though. Despite them not having worked in the past.

Whoa there Neddy, Ashley's done an okay job of sorting said finances out, but what's the point if you're unable to compete at the end of the table where you actually make money? We could at least have bulked up the squad a bit even if it wasn't with top star players. I never expected us to get enough top players in to challenge the top four but there's plenty of good squad players out there we could have brought in by now. I've said before that you don't make money without spending it and that part of football is no different to any other business.

And for the record I'm pretty sure transfers can't be that bloody difficult to sort, unless you're a penny pinching, tight-arsed fat southern miser.

Firstly, he's done an amazing job of sorting the finances out, he's paid off the fucking debt man :rolleyes:

I'd like to have seen some more players in but I don't doubt they've been trying. Why did he employ Wise and Jimenez for a start? Why did he bring KK in and pay off Allardyce? All that's because he's tight I suppose? Erm, if you say so. And I'd say football is very different from most other businesses. And speculate to accumulate is just a cliche which doesn't actually mean anything in itself. And aye, transfers are easy to complete. That's why Villa have signed nobody, Berbatov has gone to Man Utd and Barry is now at Liverpool.

That's fine that he's paid off the debt, we weren't exactly doing too badly in the league though before Shepherd brought Souness in and we had some debt then though. It's not that however, I agree it's nice to be debt free - this business of bringing in Wise and Jimenez though has done what? They've not really contributed much apart from giving the press excuses to suggest discord between Keegan and Ashley. Football is a very different business to most but you still need to spend to bring in quality enough to compete where the money is.

Your comments on Villa, Berbatov and Barry are daft, Villa isn't in the same position as us and only needed to bring in a decent goalie which they've done. The Barry and Berbatov sagas were both about better teams wanting to buy top players from lesser teams but not paying the going rate or where the buying clubs weren't making the offers in the first place - we've made inadequate offers and screwed up actually getting the players in from start to finish or letting other teams nip in ahead of us when we should have been offering more.

What really guts me is that we've now got a manager in Keegan who could win things for us but we don't appear to be backing him at all. Part of me is hoping that this will just be a 'transitional year' (again) but where we'll keep the manager at the end of it and move on from there - we won't be able to consolidate anything though if our team struggles to stay in the premiership due to a weak squad.

Short sighted Im afraid. You are going to have to consolidate before moving forward.

Fuck off, there's no short-sightedness there at all. Without an adequate squad you can't compete to a reasonable standard to improve your situation in the future. We've lost players from an already thin squad and struggled to replace them, at best we'll be in the same position we were last season, except all the teams around us will have strengthened further moving us further down the league.

If there isn't a quantum change in our transfer business I calculate we are 2 seasons behind Spurs, Villa, Man City and Pompey.

Edited by Park Life

start of the season for me tbh, if they aren't in by then they're not going to have had any time with us before matches are rolling by and that's time we can't afford to give players for certain positions(centre mid for one)

Says the man who has the player which contradicts all of this in his avatar!

oh you're right of course...since beye did it everyone will be able to no problem

Start of the season for me too.

Otherwise, we're probably resigned to out TM slow start, with players not gelling/not having a pre-season etc.

I look at our squad sometimes, and think, fully fit, with the addition of 3 good players, and we'll be flying.

However, today, looking at the shite squad that's gone to Mallorca, I panic and realise that there's no way we'll ever have a fully fit squad, and the likes of Shola/Smith/Geremi aren't good enough.

Firstly, he's done an amazing job of sorting the finances out, he's paid off the fucking debt man :rolleyes:

I'd like to have seen some more players in but I don't doubt they've been trying. Why did he employ Wise and Jimenez for a start? Why did he bring KK in and pay off Allardyce? All that's because he's tight I suppose? Erm, if you say so. And I'd say football is very different from most other businesses. And speculate to accumulate is just a cliche which doesn't actually mean anything in itself. And aye, transfers are easy to complete. That's why Villa have signed nobody, Berbatov has gone to Man Utd and Barry is now at Liverpool.

That's fine that he's paid off the debt, we weren't exactly doing too badly in the league though before Shepherd brought Souness in and we had some debt then though. It's not that however, I agree it's nice to be debt free - this business of bringing in Wise and Jimenez though has done what? They've not really contributed much apart from giving the press excuses to suggest discord between Keegan and Ashley. Football is a very different business to most but you still need to spend to bring in quality enough to compete where the money is.

Your comments on Villa, Berbatov and Barry are daft, Villa isn't in the same position as us and only needed to bring in a decent goalie which they've done. The Barry and Berbatov sagas were both about better teams wanting to buy top players from lesser teams but not paying the going rate or where the buying clubs weren't making the offers in the first place - we've made inadequate offers and screwed up actually getting the players in from start to finish or letting other teams nip in ahead of us when we should have been offering more.

What really guts me is that we've now got a manager in Keegan who could win things for us but we don't appear to be backing him at all. Part of me is hoping that this will just be a 'transitional year' (again) but where we'll keep the manager at the end of it and move on from there - we won't be able to consolidate anything though if our team struggles to stay in the premiership due to a weak squad.

You said he'd done ok on the financial side of things. I thought he'd done better than that. The comments on Shepherd/the league position are irrelevent because we weren't even discussing that.

The examples were to show how difficult concluding tranfers can be. I fail to see how they're daft. As for the backing, we've bid for players haven't we?

I think it's just going to take longer than a lot of us would like to sort things out. I'm still hopeful of bringing in some new faces and we certainly need some.

Short sighted Im afraid. You are going to have to consolidate before moving forward.

Fuck off, there's no short-sightedness there at all. Without an adequate squad you can't compete to a reasonable standard to improve your situation in the future. We've lost players from an already thin squad and struggled to replace them, at best we'll be in the same position we were last season, except all the teams around us will have strengthened further moving us further down the league.

If there isn't a quantum change in our transfer business I calculate we are 2 seasons behind Spurs, Villa, Man City and Pompey.

We already were. Due to the mess the current lot inherited.

We already were. Due to the mess the current lot inherited.

Bang on.

Personally I don't want a season of consolidation, I want a season of going forward. Making savings and investing in players aren't mutually exclusive. Ashley has paid off the debt which has saved us a lot of money and secured the future of the club but the fact is that we need investment in transfer fees to even tread water in the league. Throwing money at the problem hasn't worked before and I'm not against bringing in a number of players for reasonably low fees as Spurs did not so long ago iirc, but I want those players to at least be able to challenge for a first team spot. I applaud the club's efforts to develop the youth team but we do need a few quick fixes as well and if we don't see them arriving before the end of the transfer window then we will struggle next season.

Otherwise, we're probably resigned to out TM slow start, with players not gelling/not having a pre-season etc.

I look at our squad sometimes, and think, fully fit, with the addition of 3 good players, and we'll be flying.

However, today, looking at the shite squad that's gone to Mallorca, I panic and realise that there's no way we'll ever have a fully fit squad, and the likes of Shola/Smith/Geremi aren't good enough.

It's not just that, but key injuries can really screw us.

Keegan's 3 pronged attack formation worked quite well last season, but outside of that formation we seemed really iffy. The problem is we're not looking much stronger at the moment, as I'm not convinced we've even papered over the cracks yet, never mind filled them.

Personally I don't want a season of consolidation, I want a season of going forward. Making savings and investing in players aren't mutually exclusive. Ashley has paid off the debt which has saved us a lot of money and secured the future of the club but the fact is that we need investment in transfer fees to even tread water in the league. Throwing money at the problem hasn't worked before and I'm not against bringing in a number of players for reasonably low fees as Spurs did not so long ago iirc, but I want those players to at least be able to challenge for a first team spot. I applaud the club's efforts to develop the youth team but we do need a few quick fixes as well and if we don't see them arriving before the end of the transfer window then we will struggle next season.

Pretty much my feelings too.

You said he'd done ok on the financial side of things. I thought he'd done better than that. The comments on Shepherd/the league position are irrelevent because we weren't even discussing that.

The examples were to show how difficult concluding tranfers can be. I fail to see how they're daft. As for the backing, we've bid for players haven't we?

I think it's just going to take longer than a lot of us would like to sort things out. I'm still hopeful of bringing in some new faces and we certainly need some.

Agreed, we are desperately in need of several new faces. I know it's going to take time and you're spot on that it's been down to the previous numpties who ran the show, I just wish we could at least make a go of things rather than appear to do a half-arsed job every transfer window.

Pretty much my feelings too.

Ditto

Keegan's 3 pronged attack formation worked quite well last season, but outside of that formation we seemed really iffy. The problem is we're not looking much stronger at the moment, as I'm not convinced we've even papered over the cracks yet, never mind filled them.

I imagined (and god forgive me) that the 2/3 marque deals would have been in place before the window even opened..Clearly not the case it seems.

I imagined (and god forgive me) that the 2/3 marque deals would have been in place before the window even opened..Clearly not the case it seems.

Yeah, I was hoping for that too.

What I really don't want to go into next season doing is :rolleyes: that people like Viduka don't get injured (he clearly will, if he's even back to fitness), or knowing that we can't play more than one specific formation without ending up playing hoofball as there's no midfield glue (or often attacking quality/supply).

Yeah, I was hoping for that too.

What I really don't want to go into next season doing is :rolleyes: that people like Viduka don't get injured (he clearly will, if he's even back to fitness), or knowing that we can't play more than one specific formation without ending up playing hoofball as there's no midfield glue (or often attacking quality/supply).

It's not just about inj and whatnot...It's about signals. It's saying to other prospective players/partners/branding possibilities...Look! This is a calling card of our intentions. Even ONE big name can change the feel of a club/dressing room, fan expectations.

See what a difference a day can make? I reckon I have some sort of split personality disorder, I've actually been feeling a little more upbeat today - it's the Messiah's enthusiasm turning me.

See what a difference a day can make? I reckon I have some sort of split personality disorder, I've actually been feeling a little more upbeat today - it's the Messiah's enthusiasm turning me.

Is this the start of the long backtrack? :icon_lol:

:blink:

Is this the start of the long backtrack? :blink:

:nufc:

Could be, I'm never one not leave my options open :icon_lol:

I am not going to worry at all this season. I think with the signings we have we could actually make uefa next season as apart from Spurs no one is piling in the signings really. I think we will get another 4 in before start of season. Also think we have just been beaten by what the players involved think as better propositions. Of course I hope they are proved spectacularly wrong.

well, I know fuck all about Spurs mate, and you know fuck all about Newcastle .........