Keegan and Ashley row over Everton move for Smith

Jimbo

Kevin Keegan is on a fresh collision course with Newcastle owner Mike Ashley over the future of Alan Smith.

The former Manchester United and Leeds forward looked set for a £3million move to Everton, a switch backed by Ashley who is keen to reduce the club’s wage bill.

However Keegan declared on Wednesday night that he did not want to sell Smith, with no other fit forward in his squad. That has once more highlighted the fragility of their working relationship on the eve of the new season.

Smith is prepared to take a drop in his £60,000-a-week salary to move to Everton, who have cash to spend after finally completing the £10m sale of Andy Johnson to Fulham on Thursday.

David Moyes, who already had £15m to spend, will also step up his efforts to sign Portugal midfielder Joao Moutinho and £5m-rated Marseille skipper Lorik Cana.

Keegan is similarly desperate for new bodies, with the possibility that Joey Barton could be out of action until next year due to the debilitating effects of being in prison and the threat of a 15-game ban for his attack on former Manchester City team-mate Ousmane Dabo.

Barton was released last week after serving 77 days of a six-month sentence for common assault and affray following an incident in Liverpool city centre, and Keegan has conceded that he is nowhere near ready for the start of the new season.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing, Why do people disbelieve things that doesn't suit them ?

This is highly likely.

The Keegan mark 1 of 15 years ago would have walked out at least 3 times by now, he can't be happy with the summer, so why are you choosing to disbelieve it ?

This is highly likely.

The Keegan mark 1 of 15 years ago would have walked out at least 3 times by now, he can't be happy with the summer, so why are you choosing to disbelieve it ?

lack of quotes and the fact that the press have had generally fuck all idea whats been going on inside the club this summer

This is highly likely.

lack of quotes and the fact that the press have had generally fuck all idea whats been going on inside the club this summer

if the press have had generally fuck all idea whats been going on inside the club this summer, thats because it appears that fuck all has been going on inside the club this summer.

Thats the clubs fault for poor communication to the supporters. Very important, ignore it at their peril.

The only hard factual information we have, and the press have, is a shit small squad and a huge failure so far to get the managers transfer targets and appear to make an effort to compete and get back to competing with other clubs of our standing.

So what do you want the press to say ? That we've signed players we haven't ?

This is highly likely.

if the press have had generally fuck all idea whats been going on inside the club this summer, thats because it appears that fuck all has been going on inside the club this summer.

Thats the clubs fault for poor communication to the supporters. Very important, ignore it at their peril.

The only hard factual information we have, and the press have, is a shit small squad and a huge failure so far to get the managers transfer targets and appear to make an effort to compete and get back to competing with other clubs of our standing.

appears appears appears

fact is we know nothing and neither do they but they still keep coming out with story after story

This is highly likely.

appears appears appears

fact is we know nothing and neither do they but they still keep coming out with story after story

its up to the club to communicate with supporters mate.

If they don't then they will read into things, that life.

I think if Keegan is happy with this summer, then he isn't the man I thought he was.

Leazes in a snipe at the new board shocker.

fucking hell man change the record. If there were embarrassing quotes pouring out of the boardroom (as under your buddy) you'd have every right to complain, but this is YET ANOTHER non-story peddled by the media because for the first time in as long as I remember (admittedly only a couple of decades, not the millenia you've had personal experience of) that this club has been run win any semblance of professionalism.

What ever is happening behind closed doors is, for once, staying there. And I'm all for it. Now stop your shitty crusade and move on with your life, you annoying cockend.

this message was brought to you by the Letter X and the number Emotional Hand Grenade

Leazes in a snipe at the new board shocker.

fucking hell man change the record. If there were embarrassing quotes pouring out of the boardroom (as under your buddy) you'd have every right to complain, but this is YET ANOTHER non-story peddled by the media because for the first time in as long as I remember (admittedly only a couple of decades, not the millenia you've had personal experience of) that this club has been run win any semblance of professionalism.

What ever is happening behind closed doors is, for once, staying there. And I'm all for it. Now stop your shitty crusade and move on with your life, you annoying cockend.

this message was brought to you by the Letter X and the number Emotional Hand Grenade

You should have complained about a "shitty crusade" against the regime in the bad old days of Champions League and regular European football .....

Statements like "your buddy" ruin any arguemnt you might make ? Why do so many people make these daft remarks that ruin their point of view ?

I am not happy with the lack of communication to supporters. I am not happy with what has happened this transfer window. I am extremely disappointed and underwhelmed by Mike Ashley since he bought the club.

I don't think a club that qualifies for europe more than every team bar 4 over a period of a decade can be anything else but pretty well run. I know you think otherwise, but its obviously bollocks so stop your shitty crusade.

What is happening behind closed doors ? You don't know, neither do I, you're happy to proclaim this article is shite but I'm not allowed to say that I think it might have substance, especially in view of the lack of transfer activity ?

Fuck off and stop being a complete pillock.

I bet you when Keegan walks away he says he was never happy with this setup and his support

What more can the club say about transfer activity, other than what they are saying? They can hardly give us a daily bulletin of who they are in negotiations with, how much they've offered and what the response is. Nobody else does that either. Under the previous regime we were fed a constant stream of lies and half truths via Alan Oliver and his cronies but we were no better informed as to what was really going on, we were just subjected to more propaganda from the club and disaffected elements within it.

As an exile, I've noticed the difference in press coverage. Before the national press used to rip off whatever the Chron was peddling....now they just make it up. I don't feel any less or more informed than before, there's just as many stories but it's apparent the club isn't stirring the pot anymore. I suppose if anything disappoints me regarding the media, it's that the club doesn't feel any need to manage its press relations actively, but I guess that Ashley see it as a waste of money.

Having said all that, I'm not happy with the transfer window so far and I doubt anyone is. I'm reserving judgement until it shuts, although it's disappointing that the season's nearly upon us, we've only made 3 average-ish signings so far and a lot of the first team squad have had no pre-season whatsoever. However I reckon if Keegan was truly unhappy with the set-up, he would have been off by now.

So the man who had smith on his shirt all last year wants rid..

WALOB.

So you think Smith should stay at the club forever because MA had the name on his shirt? :(

This is highly likely.

LM you're wrong :(

Poor communication? How many times have they got to come out and say stuff? They have said the club is not being sold but are looking for investment, they have said they are not looking for "Trophy" signings, Im not sure what else you want them to come out and say?

How had there been a huge failure to get the managers targets? I know you are not nieive enough to think we will land each one we target? If the failure was that huge surely we wouldn't have signed anyone? The signings he has made so far, Im pretty happy with. Certainly more so than in recent times. Fine, they are not £15M+ players, but is that was KK is like? Is KK not one to bring on lesser known players as well as putting an arm around the bigger names? I know Im looking forward to seeing how Guthrie develops, how Bassong develops and if Jonas can pick up the pace of the Premiership quickly. Then we know we have Coloccini on his way in. And the window isnt closed yet?

Look at the players we have let go? Carr, Ramage, Rozenhal, to name a few. Would you have kept any of these? Smith? would you really keep him?

Personally, while I do think our squad is thread bare (and was before KK came along), Im happy with the additions and my perceived quality of them.

You might look back at us getting in to Europe but consider this. We made Champions league a couple of times. That rocketted the clubs income. That meant we could go out and spend bigger on players and wages. Then the Partizan game happened. We were out on our ear and the income fell. Yet, we maintained our spending and the wages ratio increased to an unhealthy level. Yet, we continue to bring in big wage players. Now do you think this was good business? I think FS gambled, I think he thought by making sure we spent the money we would get into europe and it would pay off. The problem? his managers. Roeder, Souness and Allardyce. Look at what they spent and the money that was wasted.

Im no apologist for MA, but from a business perspective and the long term vision for the club I can understand the reasoning behind what he is doing and while it may be painful short term, I think its up to supporters to bare with the new set up, certainly this season, and just get behind the team.

Of course I'd like to see more players coming in, Id like to see us competing for the best. But is it realistic? Not if we want a sensible wage structure. Step 1, push up the table, this season make sure we finish top half and maybe 8+. Getting into Europe would be a bonus. Then if so, look to improve the squad again.

Really, Id like to know exactly what your big issues are?

So the man who had smith on his shirt all last year wants rid..

WALOB.

So you think Smith should stay at the club forever because MA had the name on his shirt? :(

No what Im saying is that if KK really wanted to keep him I am sure the man who paraded round in a top with his name on all last season wouldn't be adverse to the idea.

Mug.

No what Im saying is that if KK really wanted to keep him I am sure the man who paraded round in a top with his name on all last season wouldn't be adverse to the idea.

Mug.

Danny do you honestly think that or are you typing for the sake of it?

Because if you believe that the toothfairy will be round soon to sort you out.

Mug.

I believe it. Every day the mail publishes another "toon in termoil" story.

How many have come true, so far?

Mug.

As much as you just want to be a wum, you have a point.

Mug.

As much as you just want to be a wum, you have a point.

Give it a rest will you, more tiresome than the daily mail.

Exclusive: Mike Ashley says he is not selling Newcastle

By Simon Bird 8/08/2008

Mike Ashley has broken his silence to insist Newcastle United is not for sale - and set Kevin Keegan a top-four target.

The billionaire owner has bowed to pressure from fans and declared he has fallen in love with the club - and will not be selling his entire stake.

Ashley has reacted to growing frustration over his lack of communication with supporters by producing a message aimed at giving the club stability ahead of the new season. He says the club's finances were a mess before he took charge with claims it could have collapsed.

He wants Keegan, who has a three-year contract, to take the club back into the top four, and is determined to break their trophy drought. Ashley has also defended appointing Dennis Wise (left) as director of football above Keegan, saying they need experts to do transfer business and take pressure off the boss.

The reclusive 45-year-old also attempts to end claims he will walk away from Newcastle with a profit on his £200million purchase.

Indian tycoon Anil Ambani was linked with a potential buy-out, but denied the move. Ashley is in talks with the Profitable Group, but only to promote the club in the Far East.

He told Mirror Sport: "I'm really looking forward to the season. I'm excited by Kevin, seeing the team play, all of it. We're going to have fun."

This is highly likely.

Amazed that your believing it tbh Leazes, I think this is a case of putting 2 & 2 together and coming up with 5.

Why do you think KK would have walked at least three times by now?