The F1 2008 thread

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

But do you hear them on about how they've won the world championship? Perhaps it's not his fault, perhaps it's just that he gets a lot of media attention.

Either way, I don't know of too many other sports stars whose parent / agent is as high profile as Hamilton's.

Or as fucking freaky.

Richard Williams - even Freakier

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But do you hear them on about how they've won the world championship? Perhaps it's not his fault, perhaps it's just that he gets a lot of media attention.

Either way, I don't know of too many other sports stars whose parent / agent is as high profile as Hamilton's.

Or as fucking freaky.

Fair call. And Jelena Dokic's dad was a bit of a weirdo. Plus Tim Henman's parents were clearly androids. There must be something in the (barley) water at Wimbledon.

Or as fucking freaky.

Fair call. And Jelena Dokic's dad was a bit of a weirdo. Plus Tim Henman's parents were clearly androids. There must be something in the (barley) water at Wimbledon.

OMG :lol:

Senna's nephew to test for Honda

Bruno Senna, the nephew of Formula One legend Ayrton, is in the running for a race drive with Honda next season.

The team are to give the 25-year-old Brazilian his first taste of a Grand Prix car at a three-day test at Spain's Circuit de Catalunya on 17-19 November.

Honda team principal Ross Brawn said: "This will be a chance for Bruno to prove he is ready to step up to F1."

Jenson Button will stay on with Honda in 2009 but Rubens Barrichello's position has not been confirmed.

Honda have been chasing double world champion Fernando Alonso, but it is increasingly believed within Formula One circles that the Spaniard will stay at Renault in 2009.

Senna's Honda test makes that even more likely – as does an announcement from Renault team boss Flavio Briatore at the Brazilian Grand Prix on Sunday that he would announce the team's drivers for 2009 on Wednesday.

Alonso, who won two of the last four races of the season for Renault, is tipped to partnered by Brazilian rising star Lucas di Grassi, with Nelson Piquet Jr losing his drive after a disappointing debut season.

Brawn added: "Our objective is to have the best drivers available to us next season and our evaluation of Bruno's performance will be rigorous.

"We are looking forward to seeing how he performs.

"Over the next two weeks Bruno will be spending a lot of time with us at our Brackley base, working closely with our engineers and on the simulator to ensure he is fully prepared for this important test."

Senna, who finished runner-up to Italian Giorgio Pantano in the GP2 feeder series, said: "I am obviously very excited about being given my first Formula One test and to have that opportunity with Honda is a dream come true.

"Although I am still only in my fourth year of motor racing, I have wanted to test an F1 car for a very long time and I feel that I am ready for that challenge.

"I have already spent some time at the factory in Brackley and have enjoyed meeting the team and working with the engineers to prepare for this test.

"Everyone has been very supportive and it is particularly special for me to have the chance to work with Ross Brawn.

"I'm excited about getting in the car in two weeks' time but I know this is a big opportunity so I want to learn as much as I can before I get to Barcelona.

"I hope to show the team what I can do, so it's up to me now to do a good job."

Senna, the son of Ayrton's sister Viviane Lalli, has also been linked to an opportunity at the Toro Rosso team.

It is run by former Grand Prix driver Gerhard Berger, who was a close friend of Ayrton, and who has played a mentoring role in Bruno's career.

• 2 weeks later...

Bernie has lost the plot..... :lol: (either that or he's been asked by the Ferrari boys to make sure there's no repeat of what happened this year! :jesuswept:

Ecclestone proposes medals in F1

Bernie Ecclestone is planning to revolutionise the scoring system in Formula 1 by introducing gold, silver and bronze medals instead of championship points.

In Ecclestone’s vision the driver with the most race wins would become world champion, doing away with the need for points to decide the title outcome.

The F1 supremo claims his plans have wide support and says he is confident the new scoring system will be in place in time for next year's season-opening Australian Grand Prix.

“The FIA and all the teams are behind it and it will be done,” he told The Times.

“Everybody understands gold medals and silver and bronze.

“Nearly all sports are done that way.

“The whole point will be, when they get to Melbourne for the first race, the guys will want to leave there with a gold medal.

“They don't want to leave with 10, eight or six points.”

Under Ecclestone’s proposed medal system, Lewis Hamilton would have lost this year’s championship by a single win to Felipe Massa.

Ecclestone believes that putting the emphasis on race victories will lead to more overtaking at the front, as drivers would not benefit from driving conservatively to bolster their points tallies.

“The need for it [a medal system] was highlighted at the Brazilian Grand Prix at the end of this season when Hamilton only had to finish in the top five to win the title, not win," he said.

“So this will encourage overtaking.”

For the change to go ahead it will need the FIA’s approval at the next meeting of the World Motor Sport Council in December.

Source: http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=44628

Looking forward to this new standardised engine package. Might start watching it again.

I don't believe for one moment that will stick. If it does, the manufacturers will walk away from the sport and considering that 70% of the grid is made up of teams that are wholely owned by a manufacturer, the FIA can ill afford it.

Looking forward to this new standardised engine package. Might start watching it again.

I don't believe for one moment that will stick. If it does, the manufacturers will walk away from the sport and considering that 70% of the grid is made up of teams that are wholely owned by a manufacturer, the FIA can ill afford it.

Completely agree. Major motor manufacturers aren't going to pour money into a formula that doesn't 1) allow them to show their technical advantage, and 2) give their engineers licence to explore and innovate getting the most out of a package.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7740348.stm

I've no idea what he saw in her

Or her in him :lol: Is he standing in a hole btw? Potentially the biggest UK divorce settlement ever.

Probably not actually....

Word has it that Bernie has been putting all his cash into a holding company called SLEC.

Guess whos company it is... (i'll give you a clue. 'SL' is the first two letters of their first name and 'EC' is the first two letters of their surname.

She's got all the cash! :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7740348.stm

I've no idea what he saw in her

Or her in him :D Is he standing in a hole btw? Potentially the biggest UK divorce settlement ever.

Probably not actually....

Word has it that Bernie has been putting all his cash into a holding company called SLEC.

Guess whos company it is... (i'll give you a clue. 'SL' is the first two letters of their first name and 'EC' is the first two letters of their surname.

She's got all the cash! ;)

You'd think with all that moolah, she could afford a Wonderbra. :aye:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport...one/7745347.stm

Coulthard & Jordan in BBC F1 team

David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan have joined the BBC as part of next year's presentation team in Formula One.

Coulthard, who retired as a race driver at the end of the 2008 season, will join former team boss Jordan as a pundit alongside anchor Jake Humphrey.

Jonathan Legard moves from 5 Live to commentate with ex-F1 driver and award-winning broadcaster Martin Brundle.

And veteran commentator Murray Walker will return to the BBC as a regular presence on the Sport website.

The 84-year-old, who became a household name during five decades of F1 commentary for the BBC, will be offering his expert insight and perspective on the action and interacting with F1 fans through an online Q&A forum.

The pit-lane reporters will be Ted Kravitz and Lee McKenzie.

I was delighted to be given the opportunity to share my views and experiences through the BBC coverage of F1

For Coulthard, who will continue as a test driver and consultant for Red Bull, it will be a first foray into broadcasting after a long and successful Grand Prix career behind the wheel that included 13 victories and runner-up spot in the world championship to Michael Schumacher in 2001.

The 37-year-old Scot said: "After 15 seasons competing in F1, my passion for the sport is still very much alive, and therefore I was delighted to be given the opportunity to share my views and experiences through the BBC coverage of F1.

"Many of the BBC team are known to me already and, for those members new to F1, I look forward to building on the established audience of F1 fans in the UK."

Legard is returning to F1 after four years as 5 Live's football correspondent - he was the radio station's F1 correspondent from 1997 until 2004.

Humphrey switches to F1 having previously worked on the Beijing Olympics and Euro 2008, among other things.

The BBC has a five-year deal to broadcast F1. It runs from 2009-2013 and includes exclusive rights for TV, radio, online and mobile.

Niall Sloane, BBC head of F1, said: "We have put a fantastic team together and are delighted to be able to offer a comprehensive and engaging Formula One experience.

"This is an exciting sport and we are very much looking forward to next year."

Further details about the BBC's plans for the coming season will be revealed in the new year.

On the plus side we have Brundle, on the down side we have ugly cars :D

diapo_170.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Honda set to reveal F1 exit plans

Formula One is bracing itself for an announcement by the Honda Racing team on Friday morning that could pave the way for one of grand prix racing's biggest names to exit the sport.

Amid the worldwide financial downturn and the impact that has had on Honda's car sales, it is understood that the Brackley-based team's future is now in serious doubt.

Insiders have told autosport.com that the team's senior staff were called for a meeting at the factory on Thursday afternoon and informed that Honda in Japan were no longer willing to bankroll the outfit.

It is suggested that the team will be put up for sale - and if no buyer is found by March then the manufacturer will simply pull the plug and withdraw from the sport.

Amid the current financial climate, it is unclear where Honda Racing would hope to find a buyer willing to support a Formula One team - with budgets already in excess of £100 million per year.

There are suggestions, however, that Honda may be willing to offload the team free of charge to anyone willing to support it - and they could even continue to supply engines for a period of time until another technical partner is found.

However, sources have suggested that team principal Ross Brawn is already eyeing a tie-up with Ferrari for power-units should a buyer be found - with the Italian manufacturer having spare capacity now after ending their deal with Force India.

It is understood that Brawn and F1 CEO Nick Fry are scheduled to fly to meetings in Tokyo on Monday to discuss the future of the team with Japanese bosses - and especially define what happens if no buyer is found.

Honda Racing remained silent about the speculation on Thursday evening, with neither press officers nor senior team personnel available for comment. It is understood the staff informed of the decision were told not to discuss the matter prior to an official announcement being made.

It is expected Honda will issue a press release early on Friday morning revealing their plans. It comes after a challenging year for the team, which had begun a rebuilding process under the leadership of Brawn.

Any pullout by Honda Racing will send shockwaves through F1, and cast question marks over the future of other manufacturers' longterm participation. It would also come several months after FIA president Max Mosley warned that the sport was unsustainable at the moment because of the high costs needed to compete.

It would also mean the grid being reduced to just 18 cars, and would leave drivers Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello without seats.