Xisco Fever

The Fish

Xisco joy at Magpies move

Striker expecting to make an impact in Premier League

Last updated: 2nd September 2008

Xisco Deportivo La Coruna

Spanish striker Xisco believes he has secured a 'dream' move after joining Newcastle United.

Xisco signed a five-year contract at St James' Park on deadline day after Newcastle agreed an undisclosed fee with Deportivo La Coruna.

The 22-year-old impressed for Deportivo last season and is confident he will be suited by playing Premier League football.

He is heading off to play for Spain's Under 21s against Kazakhstan this week, but is looking forward to linking up with his new club colleagues.

Great feeling

"It is a great feeling to be here and to have signed for Newcastle United," Xisco told the club's official website.

"I have waited for this opportunity for a long time in my life and I want to show the people of Newcastle what I can do - it is a dream for me.

"I love the Premier League and I think I will be suited to English football because it is fast and physical.

"I am a quick player and I'm also strong, it is ideal for me.

"Now I must go to play for Spain U21s, but I am very much looking forward to returning and meeting all of my new team-mates."

I feel for the lad. He has had 2 days in training waiting for a manager who never wanted him in the first place to turn up.

The alternative being, his first game will be in front of an angry crowd voicing their disgust at KK being sacked.

Fucking hell, how must he feel?

I feel for the lad. He has had 2 days in training waiting for a manager who never wanted him in the first place to turn up.

The alternative being, his first game will be in front of an angry crowd voicing their disgust at KK being sacked.

He must feel like he's in the wrong place if he's in Newcastle, since he flew out for U21 duty yesterday.

He must feel like he's in the wrong place if he's in Newcastle, since he flew out for U21 duty yesterday.

Either way he knows he is not wanted by KK but if KK doesnt come back he has jpined a club in turmoil.

:lol:

Ameobi is "not wanted". Xisco was not needed, but now that he's here he is a welcome addition.

Get it right.

I am talking about KK, not the fans. Although listening to some Toon fans you would think they are the same entity.

Ameobi is "not wanted". Xisco was not needed, but now that he's here he is a welcome addition.

Get it right.

I am talking about KK, not the fans. Although listening to some Toon fans you would think they are the same entity.

I was talking about KK, too. If you're allowed to pretend you know what he's thinking, so am I.

I would of thought you'd know how it feels to not be wanted

From SkySports...

Newcastle United's deadline day signing Xisco has revealed his surprise at Kevin Keegan's resignation.

The Spain Under 21 international striker's capture was masterminded by football director Dennis Wise and Tony Jimenez, who is in charge of player recruitment.

However, while Keegan discussed his plans for the future to Xisco on Monday, the 22-year-old was not actually a player the fans' favourite wanted to bring to St James' Park.

So much so that Keegan held showdown talks with owner Mike Ashley which ultimately led to his resignation, much to the shock and disappointment of most Newcastle fans.

Xisco is as surprised as many by the events at the club this week and the Spanish youngster has expressed his regret Keegan will not be at the helm when he returns to Tyneside following international duty.

Discussions

"When I flew in on Monday, the club presented me to Kevin Keegan. He talked to me in a bit of detail about his plans for the footballing development of the club," Xisco told The Sun.

"That was an important moment for me in my decision to accept this incredible turn of events.

"I just can't believe he won't be there when I get back from international duty.

"The words might be cliched but it has always been my dream to play in English football. That has been the case since I was a kid.

"I'm afraid to open my eyes in case it all turns out to be just a daydream. I can't believe how things have turned out."

Xisco talked through the move with Magpies defender Fabricio Coloccini, who stated joining the North East giants is a life-changing experience.

Big and powerful

"The club is so big and so powerful," he continued. "They even organised a private jet to fly me back to Madrid after I signed the contract to let me catch up with the Spanish Under 21 squad. That kind of treatment impresses you.

"But so did the stadium and the atmosphere at the club. St James' Park is a totally incredible place with a playing surface to die for.

"I've already spoken to my former team-mate Fabricio Coloccini, who has a few games under his belt with Newcastle, and his verdict is it's a life-changing experience.

"Fourteen months ago I was on loan in the Spanish Second Division. Now I'm a striker for one of the biggest clubs in the Premier League. It's incredible.

"But I have the talents and characteristics to succeed."

Him and all the new players. In fact, all the players. We do need to stick behind them, which I why I disagree about not going to the Hull game.

Poor cunt. I think he might be a suprise capture. I mean he's very young and vastly inexperienced however a few goals now n then might justify his 6 million price tag. Then again I couldn't care less

From Guillem Balague's SKY Sports page.

X FACTOR

Hi Guillem, I'm a Newcastle fan so I was wondering whether you could tell me a bit more about Xisco, who we have just signed from Deportivo? I'm a regular watcher of La Liga on Sky Sports and the only thing I remember about this player is that he wore a headband last season to help him score goals! This makes me worry, but if he is anything like our other signings from La Liga - Jonas Guttierrez and Fabricio Coloccini - then I'd be happy. My main question is: is he a prolific goalscorer? Thanks. Tariq, Sheffield

GUILLEM REPLIES: No, Xisco is not a prolific goalscorer and never will be! But you need strikers who do other things, too! He's a tall, strong guy who can hold the ball up and link well with midfield. He's a work in progress but he has the ability to be like Emile Heskey; a better Heskey if he gets his head down and works hard. And it will be nice if he can link up with Michael Owen because he's a different type of striker.