NUSC

Jusoda Kid

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newcastle United supporters have announced plans to step up their opposition to Mike Ashley's tenure at St James' Park in spite of the owner's attempts to sell the club. A newly formed fans group will broaden its boycott of official Newcastle goods and is to write to sponsors and advertisers requesting that they end their relationship with Ashley's regime.

Joe Kinnear, the interim manager, said yesterday that the billionaire had informed him that all bids to buy Newcastle “have to be in by October 17. He said six consortiums are interested.” While that timeline is unconfirmed, Newcastle are unlikely to be sold until mid-November at the earliest.

The likelihood of Kinnear remaining far beyond the end of his contract, which runs until the end of this month before becoming a “rolling” deal, is strong, but Tynesiders would be less enamoured by Ashley's continued presence. The latest statement from the Newcastle United Supporters Club (NUSC) warned against complacency.

“NUSC would be delighted to discuss with any prospective buyer of good intention how we can work together,” the organisation said. “Mike Ashley is not acting quickly enough to end his disastrous relationship with our club. NUSC will soon be writing to the club's main sponsors and advertisers to request that they end their business relationship with a Mike Ashley-owned Newcastle United.

“If the nightmare scenario of an Ashley-owned Newcastle United continues to next summer, then we will organise a campaign amongst supporters to boycott any new kit and merchandise being sold by adidas.”

There has been a further intervention from Freddy Shepherd, the club's former chairman. “No one's going to give Mike Ashley a huge profit for the club now,” he said yesterday. “Whoever's going to buy it will know they have to buy players. If Ashley doesn't sell the club by January, he's going to have to strengthen the team. That's why he will be aiming to sell the club before the transfer window opens.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle4902866.ece

So we then surely run the risk of falling out with our sponsor who won't be keen to continue working with us and it won't exactly look like a good investment for any other further sponsors coming on board knowing that a group is set to boycott when something does not go our way? Whilst I think the idea of a supporters group representing the supporters looking for the best interests this could actually go the opposite way?

As I posted on N-O...

I'm sure writing a few letters and sending off the odd harshly-worded email to advertisers won't really lead to anything anyway, to be fair.

They don't speak - or more importantly, act - on behalf of all NUFC fans. I know they want what is best for the club and I appreciate and respect that but I don't think they are going the right way about it.

Oh and how exactly do they know that Ashley is not being quick enough to sell us? Are they privy to what is going on behind the scenes?

I get the impression they'd be happy getting someone in now instead of waiting a bit longer and ending up with someone who is better for this football club. Just to get rid of Ashley. Their lack of logic is shocking and in all honesty they lack perspective, common sense, and realism.

“NUSC would be delighted to discuss with any prospective buyer of good intention how we can work together,” the organisation said. “Mike Ashley is not acting quickly enough to end his disastrous relationship with our club. NUSC will soon be writing to the club's main sponsors and advertisers to request that they end their business relationship with a Mike Ashley-owned Newcastle United.

“If the nightmare scenario of an Ashley-owned Newcastle United continues to next summer, then we will organise a campaign amongst supporters to boycott any new kit and merchandise being sold by adidas.”

Has anyone amongst the NUSC committee thought that coming out with stuff like this will put people off buying the club?

Even Llambias would be ashamed of this latest PR embarrassment.

Sounds like a few people at NUSC are getting a little too full of themselves. The idea is to form the ORGANISATION first and foremost.

The agenda has to be agreed once that's in place. I strongly suggest the people behind this statement withdraw it until the suggested online polls are in place. This type of thing will alienate people and stop the organisation having credibility.

Sounds like a few people at NUSC are getting a little too full of themselves. The idea is to form the ORGANISATION first and foremost.

The agenda has to be agreed once that's in place. I strongly suggest the people behind this statement withdraw it until the suggested online polls are in place. This type of thing will alienate people and stop the organisation having credibility.

Agreed. My stance on this when people have moaned about the NUSC not speaking for them is that you join and you vote and you make them speak for you. They're now making statements about what they're going to do next summer and no fucker has voted on anything. This is not a good start.

Agreed. My stance on this when people have moaned about the NUSC not speaking for them is that you join and you vote and you make them speak for you. They're now making statements about what they're going to do next summer and no fucker has voted on anything. This is not a good start.

Looks and sounds like there has been not a lot of thought put into these outbursts. Whilst I firmly believe that a NUSC is correct and the right way forward I personally think that this is bad PR. I personally would not put my name to these statements. We should strive to work with these guys not against, which IMO is where this seems to be heading.

I think the idea is good in principle. It was right to point out at the beginning that the founding of a supporters club wasn't only because of what happened around Keegan walking out but to give fans a balanced voice. Ashley was just the catalyst. But now the group looks nothing else than a spontaneous group promoting its Anti-Ashley propaganda. I don't know who decided it and is responsible but most press releases so far were just cringeworthy and not too similar to the rent-a-mong statements on Sky they wanted themselves to distance from tbh.

Imho the NUSC would best first form itself and find some suitable form of organisation before acting on "behalf of the fans". I don't feel represented so far.

Was thinking exactly the same <_<

I'd also suggest they find someone else to scribe the statements - they're not the best-worded documents I've ever read.

The message needs to get to them pretty quickly that they are in danger of alienating people that supported the idea previously. An INTERIM committee making pronouncements about next summer having canvassed the opinions of precisely no one. Suddenly a tenner starts to look like a horrible waste of money.

Edited by Gemmill

Ashley's said he's selling, which is basically what most people want. It would be better to wait and see how that pans out before demanding this and that and making plans about future boycotts if he doesn't sell the club. There's also the distinct possibility he won't be able to sell the club. Given, if you (like me) think he's a cunt and doesn't care about the club, it's unreasonable to think he'll sell up without making at least a small profit. If he overpaid for the club in a better financial climate he could well struggle to get the price he wants now. It might be more prudent to wait and see what happens and as people have hinted at, just selling to anyone may be far more of a 'nightmare scenario'.

The message needs to get to them pretty quickly that they are in danger of alienating people that supported the idea previously. An INTERIM committee making pronouncements about next summer having canvassed the opinions of precisely no one. Suddenly a tenner starts to look like a horrible waste of money.

Misdirected and misguided, when I attended the very first get together at the Irish Centre I was encouraged, that the top table together with the floor were in agreement. Not so many weeks on and already there is an air of disharmony. Never mind a tenner, any amount of money could be a horrible waste.

It's a learning curve for everyone. I don't want to criticise the good work that HAS been done so far, for free I might add.

This is just a time for some clear thinking.

NUSC is there. It exists. Therefore I think ALL fans should try and give it the time to develop before shooting it down, I'm certain though, that these statements (however well meant) need to wait.

I know what it's like when people with similar ideas get together, you think you can change the world. The trouble is, when you put it out there, people aren't on the same page. That's why NUSC needs to put all major actions of policy to a public vote.

I'd hate to see the club take offence, I for one am basically massively impressed that anyone has got it to this stage. It does though, need to make sure it grows at a steady pace and not race ahead leaving the majority of supporters behind.

<_<

Old Labour. <_<

The vanguard will always be weeks ahead of the rank and file.

Yes, but the organisation had a hundred odd years of history. It needed to change. NUSC isn't even off the ground yet.

Old Labour. <_<

Yes, but the organisation had a hundred odd years of history. It needed to change. NUSC isn't even off the ground yet.

There should be some kind of agm soon where people who are able can turn up and vote on stuff.

People also have to accept they won't be able to be canvassed on absolutely everything. Organisations like this are always a mixed bag and they won't be able to get everything right and there will be mistakes, but people need to bear in mind the greater good.

It's a learning curve for everyone. I don't want to criticise the good work that HAS been done so far, for free I might add.

This is just a time for some clear thinking.

NUSC is there. It exists. Therefore I think ALL fans should try and give it the time to develop before shooting it down, I'm certain though, that these statements (however well meant) need to wait.

I know what it's like when people with similar ideas get together, you think you can change the world. The trouble is, when you put it out there, people aren't on the same page. That's why NUSC needs to put all major actions of policy to a public vote.

I'd hate to see the club take offence, I for one am basically massively impressed that anyone has got it to this stage. It does though, need to make sure it grows at a steady pace and not race ahead leaving the majority of supporters behind.

<_<

I agree that it is a learning curve, but it appears to be very steep learning curve. With these statements hitting the media, we are creating a lot of hot air about something that might never happen.

I would agree that to get thus far, NUSC and the "committee" has certainly impressed me. Maybe next-time before you go to press with something as important as this, leave it 24 hours, and if it feels right, then publish. IMO sometimes it is wise to sleep on things like this.

If any of the accountants on this committee are in support of the idea of encouraging sponsors to withdraw support, I'd like to hear their arguments on how they see that making us an attractive investment. Seems a good way of making us unsalable to me.

Old Labour. <_<

There should be some kind of agm soon where people who are able can turn up and vote on stuff.

People also have to accept they won't be able to be canvassed on absolutely everything. Organisations like this are always a mixed bag and they won't be able to get everything right and there will be mistakes, but people need to bear in mind the greater good.

The issue is that they may be doing more harm than good before they’ve even started, with absolutely no mandate to boot. They'll only have my support as long as they deserve it.