Argentines use 'free-kick' spray

Tom

The Argentine Football Association is to introduce an aerosol spray to stop defenders creeping closer to the ball during a free-kick.

_45287324_-17.jpg

From next year, referees will use the spray in first division matches.

Referees will mark a temporary white line 9.15 metres (10 yards) from the ball, which defenders cannot cross. The spray will disappear 30 seconds later.

Pablo Silva, who invented the spray, got the idea when he failed to score with a free-kick at an amateur match.

"In the 88th minute, we were losing 1-0 and won a free-kick on the edge of the area. When I took the kick, the wall was three metres away," he told Reuters earlier this year.

"The referee didn't book anyone and didn't do anything," he said.

"We lost the game, and driving home later, with a mixture of anger and bitterness, I thought that we must invent something to stop this."

The spray has been trialled in second division matches and a similar spray has been used in some competitions in Brazil.

Here

Seems a bit over the top :razz:

My Dad read about this and told me about this quite a while ago but it was in Brazil originally I think. But the experiment was stopped iirc because Fifa hadn't sanctioned it. Good idea though.

As long as they have the guts to measure the 10 yds correctly - remember when Ginola was booked for counting the steps to a wall at SJP which was 7 paces away? - I think it was Bennet or one of the other corrupt cowards.

My Dad read about this and told me about this quite a while ago but it was in Brazil originally I think. But the experiment was stopped iirc because Fifa hadn't sanctioned it. Good idea though.

Aye, Brazil did it for a season or two not long ago.

Did anyone see Ronaldo stealing a few extra yards against the unwashed last weekend? Kept waiting for the referre too start marching his 10 yards and then moving ball a couple of foot back to give himself extra distance.

Something Man U musn't have taught Butt in his time there. Or how to take a free kick for that matter.

In this case, surely the ref needs to mark a spot where the ball is so he can see both ends of the matter

Tasers will be the next step. [/Fop]

No need, just wire up those vests they wear now. :aye:

Satellite to issue fire and forget protocols? ;)

Actually they really should chip and pin them and then they'd always be able to find them for their drugs tests.

Either that or keep them inactive in Universal Soldier-esq suspended animation between games - which would cut down on injuries I bet. :huh:

Tasers will be the next step. [/Fop]

No need, just wire up those vests they wear now. :aye:

Satellite to issue fire and forget protocols? ;)

Actually they really should chip and pin them and then they'd always be able to find them for their drugs tests.

Either that or keep them inactive in Universal Soldier-esq suspended animation between games - which would cut down on injuries I bet. :huh:

Well SA wanted to encase them in ice.