Owen offered new deal

tommo

Owen signed at St James' Park from Real Madrid in 2005 and has netted 25 Premier League goals in 56 appearances since the switch.

The bit in bold highlights very succinctly why we should be breaking our backs to ensure he stays. The bloke is paramount to any future plans.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Owen signed at St James' Park from Real Madrid in 2005 and has netted 25 Premier League goals in 56 appearances since the switch.

The bit in bold highlights very succinctly why we should be breaking our backs to ensure he stays. The bloke is paramount to any future plans.

His goal return is incredible, but looking at that stat it also underlines how few games he has played.

His goal return is incredible, but looking at that stat it also underlines how few games he has played.

Aye but I think of the last 42 games (around that) he's only not featured in 6. Unless i was horrendously wrong in my calculations!

We should do everything to keep him. Even with the club in the shit off the pitch, he must be a huge draw for potential players/sponsors/whatever.

If I was him though, I'd sit tight on any contract offer as the club have taken their time to show their hand, he'll probably have his agent out sniffing about to see who's interested in him.

If he's serious about keeping the club then resigning Owen should be one of the main things he should do..... can't see how he can manager it with the club in limbo still though.

FYP.

:P:panic:

in the current climate - who's gonna offer him more than what hes on ?? - i doubt anyone will tbf

therefore an 80k weekly wage + bonuses is not a bad deal

- he doesn't have to move house/family

- hes guaranteed games if fit

- depending on how the bonus is structured he will get more than that (goal related ??)

- he`ll remain a high profile player thus in the sights for England

letting him go = shortsighted and foolish as we wont replace him

keeping him = business sense

surely the merchandise with his name on it brings in revenue ? - if he goes thats gone too.... :P

in the current climate - who's gonna offer him more than what hes on ?? - i doubt anyone will tbf

- depending on how the bonus is structured he will get more than that (goal related ??)

surely the merchandise with his name on it brings in revenue ? - if he goes thats gone too.... :P

Man City

totally agree with everything you've said, Owen is a brand name in the far east they love him and Beckham

Talksport reckon hes willing to go to another club for less than £80kpw on a money for goals basis

The editor of the sporting life said that on talksport, which is a bit different, and he was taking a guess, the same as any punter on here. Steve Bruce got it right, he said only if he gets a stupid ie 10 mill offer for Heskey would he consider selling Heskey in January,and aonly if he can find a decent replacement....and JFK said much the same at the weekend. I think he's ours till the summer, but after that who knows?

I reckon he will hold of until the summer to see if we've qualify for Europe (Still not impossible - need to win on Sunday) and begin to look half decent or finish close to the top 6 - else he's off to a club that can offer European football

Reagrdless of who said it it was on talksport. They have a number of different presenters who often have inside infi, doesnt mean its the opinion of talksport as a whole

He's not a talksport presenter, he was being interviewed on the Hawksbee and Jacobs show, and the bit in your post I've highlited is precisely what I was pointing out in my previous post, it certainly wasn't the opinion of talksport,it was the opinion of the editor of the sporting life. Which your first post failed to mention.Which is a bit of a contradiction, seeing as in your subsequent post you tell me that it wasnt the opinion of talksport, which I feel I had pointed out in contradiction to your first post in my first post.

hope that clears things up :P

I reckon he will hold of until the summer to see if we've qualify for Europe (Still not impossible - need to win on Sunday) and begin to look half decent or finish close to the top 6 - else he's off to a club that can offer European football

we'll be nowhere Europe! we get results against Portsmouth and Villa which were superb then fail to beat stoke, fulham or wigan!

The Times:

Newcastle United are prepared to make an £18 million commitment to keep Michael Owen at St James’ Park. The England striker, whose proposed meeting with Joe Kinnear, the manager, did not materialise yesterday, has been offered a new four-year contract worth in the region of £90,000 a week. Nicky Butt is also on the verge of committing his future to the club.

There have been reports that Owen, 29, had been presented with a three-season extension to his deal, which expires in the summer, but the terms dispatched to his representatives on Monday were more generous. Although he earns about £115,000 a week, in the economic climate, Newcastle have signalled that they recognise the value of their record signing.

They have also been tardy, however, and having ignored repeated requests from Kevin Keegan, Newcastle’s former manager, to engage the captain in negotiations — discussions, when they finally started, were shelved when Mike Ashley put the club up for sale — they cannot complain if Owen bides his time. He is entitled to speak to other clubs next month and keep open his options.

The situation on Tyneside remains deeply uncertain and unstable. A buyer has not been found, Kinnear has a contract only until the end of the season and the threat of relegation has not been banished, but only a handful of clubs would be able or willing to match Newcastle’s offer and, of those, substantive interest in Owen has not been forthcoming. The forward retains close ties to the North West, but Everton, his most committed admirers, pay their highest earners £40,000 to £45,000 a week. Manchester City would not be fazed by his demands, yet their motivations and decision-making structure are hazy and a mooted pursuit by Wigan Athletic is hardly likely to be greeted favourably.

Whether there has been a shift in Ashley’s thinking is uncertain — Newcastle’s decision to make public their last offer shortly before transfer deadline day was viewed by Owen’s camp as a publicity stunt — but, if nothing else, it should dispel suggestions that the club are attempting to engineer his departure. Kinnear has already stated publicly that the player will not be sold next month.

Kinnear has also spoken optimistically of signing two players worth £6 million each — he has an interest in Matthew Upson, of West Ham United — and two more on loan. After all the disappointments under the present regime, supporters are understandably cynical, but if new players materialise and Owen responds positively, Ashley could not be accused of running down the club. It is, of course, a big if.

Butt is close to signing a new one-year contract that would almost certainly mean he would finish his career at Newcastle. The 33-year-old former England midfield player has been a mainstay of the team and is eager to play on for another season.

Reagrdless of who said it it was on talksport. They have a number of different presenters who often have inside infi, doesnt mean its the opinion of talksport as a whole

He's not a talksport presenter, he was being interviewed on the Hawksbee and Jacobs show, and the bit in your post I've highlited is precisely what I was pointing out in my previous post, it certainly wasn't the opinion of talksport,it was the opinion of the editor of the sporting life. Which your first post failed to mention.Which is a bit of a contradiction, seeing as in your subsequent post you tell me that it wasnt the opinion of talksport, which I feel I had pointed out in contradiction to your first post in my first post.

hope that clears things up :P

Fish?

Talksport reckon hes willing to go to another club for less than £80kpw on a money for goals basis

The editor of the sporting life said that on talksport, which is a bit different, and he was taking a guess, the same as any punter on here. Steve Bruce got it right, he said only if he gets a stupid ie 10 mill offer for Heskey would he consider selling Heskey in January,and aonly if he can find a decent replacement....and JFK said much the same at the weekend. I think he's ours till the summer, but after that who knows?

Steve Bruce has a chairman/owner who supports his manager and understands football as an ex pro.

World of difference between that and a fuckwit like Ashley has been so far.