Geordies vs Makems, the derby!

Venom

I thought Nolan went missing completely in the first half.

To be fair there was nothing he could do, our backs were playing to Kinnear's tactics of hoofing long balls towards Carroll and Ameobi. In some ways that suits those two players, but we'ev seen time and time again (under Allardyce in particular) that we suck at playing the long ball game.

Anyway, it all meant that the play always went over Nolan (and Butt). Alternately it went down the left wing with Enrique and Jonas.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Nolan went missing completely in the first half.

To be fair there was nothing he could do, our backs were playing to Kinnear's tactics of hoofing long balls towards Carroll and Ameobi. In some ways that suits those two players, but we'ev seen time and time again (under Allardyce in particular) that we suck at playing the long ball game.

Anyway, it all meant that the play always went over Nolan (and Butt). Alternately it went down the left wing with Enrique and Jonas.

Good point.

A lot of the time it did feel like the midfielders were only there to pass the ball from one side of the field to the other.

Good effort with what resoursces were available. May have been playing with ten men with Shola on the pitch though. I dont care that he scored, he couldnt even be arsed to jog onside most of the match. What s disgrace that weve tied him to a 3 year deal

Good effort with what resoursces were available. May have been playing with ten men with Shola on the pitch though. I dont care that he scored, he couldnt even be arsed to jog onside most of the match. What s disgrace that weve tied him to a 3 year deal

His agent must be fucking shit hot

Yep, I am fucking disgusted with that wanker. He had a go at Enrique down in front of where I sit, and people went daft at him - total pisstake after the shift Enrique put in compared to him.

he couldnt even be arsed to jog onside most of the match. What s disgrace that weve tied him to a 3 year deal

- Everytime with that. Staying offside just for the sake of it

- Just staying down on his knees in the penalty box while we were still attacking

- Offside THREE times from free kicks in dangerous positions thus rendering them useless.

Harper: 7 Not much to do, few good saves, looked frustrated at having no quick outlets.

Taylor: 8 Best performance at RB, solid, usefull and good going forward. Welldone Tayls.

Coloccini: 6 Poor, appauling error for the goal, made a few good tackles but poor on the whole.

Bassong: 9 Outstanding, anticipated well, good distribution, needs to keep his hands to himself though.

Enrique 8 Best performance for the club, good skill, alert and linked well with Gutierrez.

Duff: 7 Hot and cold

Gutierrez: 9 Ran and ran and ran, heart of a lion this fella, touch of class too, needs to first find that final ball though.

Butt: 6 Poor, wasteful, sloppy and disjointed, covered alot of ground though. Not good enough.

Nolan: 7 Quite 1st half, Good 2nd, put himself about and made some good runs. Busy.

Ameobi: 7 Link up play was good at times, but apart from a brilliant penalty his shooting was poor. Welldone on hitting the big 50 though shola.

Carroll: 8 Hungry, strong, has a physical presence, im starting to see a real player in there. Good game.

Subs: Edgar 6 (No time have inpact), Lovenkrands 6 (Done nothing)

All in all it was very much a game of two halves, 1st half we started slowly, gave them too much time on the ball which they sprayed about well, few flashes in 1st half but nothing of note. 2nd half we should of battered them, on another day with Oba and Owen we'd of got 2 or 3, we hassled well, created space, passed it about, but like to often was frustrating infront of goal.

Not a bad point, but not a good one neither.

Bring on WBA, we should have R.Taylor in at right back and these "two more" hopefully and CM and a ST. We may even have Martins fit by the weekend though id imagine only a spot on the bench is the best we can hope for. Going to be a touch game at the hawthorns but based on todays 2nd half attitude, if we can carry that into next weekends game i think we'll pick up 3 points on the road.

So thats 50 goals for Ameobi in the black and white.

Jesus wept. Another 3 years of that if we're unlucky.

I wouldnt mind as much if he worked his socks off but hes once again in his comfort zone. Played for his new contract and has a manager stupid enough to give him one.

Even Allardyce saw how shite he was and sent him out on loan.

Edited by Stephen

A 7 for Shola? Are you mental?

We are the geordies, the geordie boot boys, for we are MENTAL for we are mad, we are the loyalist football supporters...The woooorld has eeeever had!

You not included? B)

Actually gemmil, 7 is about rite IMO if that makes me mental so be it, rather that than a miserable bastard. <_<

He wasnt outstanding, but he wasnt awful neither, showed some nice touches, linked up well at times and stayed calm and collected to score a quality penalty.

He was slow, and did canter about, but he's not played for 6 weeks remember?

Edited by Geordie Lad...

I think we should have won today. Some better balls into the box, and less giving the ball back to them and we would have beaten them easily imo.

Shola should have had a hat-trick today.

The lad that clattered Jonas in the first half should have had a straight red imo. Is that the type of 'challenge' we want to see on a football field? The answer is no. Jonas was clear away, therefore - straight red imo.

Bassong - top of the pops, for one so young and new to this league.

Thought Bassong was a class apart from everyone on that pitch, Enrique had a very good game and Jonas ran his heart out and caused them problems with his running throughout. But first half i don't think many of the others offered anything, though Carroll to be fair did well with what he had, second half we stepped up a gear and should have won it.

Shola was by and large a disgrace, lumbering about, geting caught offside and sitting on his arse while the game continued on more than one occasion. He also would have had another 3 or 4 clear chances if it didn't take him so long to get a shot out. Yet he showed a hell of alot of balls to take a penalty in a derby with all the importance that entails and the added pressure of relegation battles and he deserves credit for that, but he shouldn't be in the team.

As for Kinnear, those 2 strikers together and Shola at all wasn't a good idea, and playign Duff on the right is a waste of time, he barely performs on the left where he belongs. Everytime Taylor looked to get it wide he'd find Duff tucked inside.

And Duff missed that sitter that should have won it, luckilly later on Chopra decided instead of an easy finish or an even easier pass to Jones to win it for them, he'd hoof the ball past the despairing Jones! Didn't hear the mackems singing "chopra's one of us" after that!

All in all another missed chance to beat another piss poor side at St James, we now have to Beat West Brom no question.

We are the geordies, the geordie boot boys, for we are MENTAL for we are mad, we are the loyalist football supporters...The woooorld has eeeever had!

You not included? <_<

Actually gemmil, 7 is about rite IMO if that makes me mental so be it, rather that than a miserable bastard. :razz:

He wasnt outstanding, but he wasnt awful neither, showed some nice touches, linked up well at times and stayed calm and collected to score a quality penalty.

B) He was fucking shit.

The mackems on SMB are giving CHopra hell, very amusing, they've decided he either deliberately shat on them with that chance at the end, or at the very least he bottled it when it came to scoring past us...who knows for once they may have something, either way its funny.

I liked this one: "Clarke done it now Chopra has, fuck off back to Cardiff you black and white bastard!!! The ball he had to play was absolutely simple and what does he do? deliberately play a spacker cross!!!"

I wasn't sure what it was, but it turns out it was a spacker cross!!!

Howard Webb was a shower today. The penalty was a joke, and he should have shown Bardsley a yellow card for a bad tackle on Guttierrez when (to be fair to him) he played a good advantage with Jose overlapping.

I havent seen the pen, but i actualyl thought Webb wasn't bad, but i agree that when he'd played a good advantage, to not go back and book him for that challenge, was shocking. I'm guessing its because he was one of the 3 mackems already on a yellow.

Some of the criticism of Shola is ridiculous. Too many falling in to the trap of confusing his running style with his attitude.

He's been out for a few weeks, he took and converted an INCREDIBLY pressurised penalty, some of his interplay was excellent and his first touch was better than it's been for an awfully long time.

He missed a couple of chances, but certainly no 'nailed on' chances.

Furthermore all the talk was about Martins coming back for this game not Shola, ask yourself where that kid is in our hour of need....

Apart from a very nicely converted penalty kick Shola was awful today.

There was times when he lost the ball he just stood there and didnt try to get it back, his movement in the box was awful, and he just needs way too much time on the ball to tee himself up.

Shola will never be a good striker and will never score more than 10 goals in a season, god knows why we've signed him up to a new deal.

Get Martins back in!

Too many falling in to the trap of confusing his running style with his attitude.

How should we interpret the times he does nothing and just stands around then?

His running style happens to be to never fucking sprint btw. Being tall doesn't mean you don't have to move your legs quickly to travel at speed. The lad is shit which could possibly be forgiven if he was all-out effort, but he barely even tries most of the time.

There was one moment when he lost the ball (for a change) near the 6 yard box. He did this big melodramatic slump to the floor whilst we won the ball back, crossed it back in and he was nowhere to be seen for the header. Hes a clown.

As for the Mackems accusing Chopra of missing on purpose, my dad said exactly that when he missed B) They are so predictable. They managed to sing for about 4 minutes after they scored, what a shit away following!

If Lovenkrads had come on at half time for Shola we may have had a chance of winning that game, he looeked lively for all of 7 minutes.

Bassong and Guti were immense, like I said before, who'd have thought this cheap french kid no-ones heard of would be playing our £10mil Argentine international off the park

You not included? B)

Actually gemmil, 7 is about rite IMO if that makes me mental so be it, rather that than a miserable bastard. <_<

Do you rate Shola as a decent player?!

Tbf he showed bollocks and converted the penalty, but apart from that he was useless. Fucking pathetic.