Other games

Park Life

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has this round of the champions league always lasted two weeks for the 1st legs? I.E Man U and Arsenal playing this week and Chelsea playing next week. ;)

I think it must be a new thing as I don't remember it. At first I thought it was because of the fixture clash at the San Siro (Man Utd/Chelsea Playing AC/Inter Milan there in the 1st leg) but there's a few other games next week. I assume it's to maximise TV money.

Arsenal just conceded a hilarious goal after Fabianski picked up a back pass... as if they have a keeper who is worse than Almunia.

Campbell scored a good goal, I was quite pleased for him. Always liked him as a player.

Arsenal should have been in for Given when we were selling.

I don't suppose anyone here listens to the Guardian podcasts?

Anyway, one of the lads, Barry Glendenning made a brief comment about how ManCity's best 'keeper is playing at Birmingham. The lads on the studio lept on it and he explained what most on here have been saying for years about his world class shot-stopping, but in general he doesn't control his box or defence at all. He concedes headers in the 6yard box all the time, poor distribution, and in general, he isn't good enough for City's plans. He also mentioned that there's a reason that Givens teams never have a great defensive record.

It was turned into a big deal over here, but there must be a reason Fergie and Wenger were never in for him?

You could just as easily counter that by pointing to how his fellow pros have selected him in the PFA team of the season more than once and how he's been a consistent performer for years, whereas a lot of others seem to be brilliant for a season or two then lose form / confidence. Also, Wenger and Ferguson have a bit of a dodgy record when it comes to signing keepers. I do agree about his limitations to an extent like.

Arsenal should have been in for Given when we were selling.

I don't suppose anyone here listens to the Guardian podcasts?

Anyway, one of the lads, Barry Glendenning made a brief comment about how ManCity's best 'keeper is playing at Birmingham. The lads on the studio lept on it and he explained what most on here have been saying for years about his world class shot-stopping, but in general he doesn't control his box or defence at all. He concedes headers in the 6yard box all the time, poor distribution, and in general, he isn't good enough for City's plans. He also mentioned that there's a reason that Givens teams never have a great defensive record.

It was turned into a big deal over here, but there must be a reason Fergie and Wenger were never in for him?

Aye, but even including his faults he's still twice the keeper Alumunia or Fabiwhatshisface are and went for a bargain price.

I agree with all that, Ewerk and Alex. The mistakes are rare, which is a huge bonus. He's nowhere near one of the best keepers in the world though, imo. Defo in the top 4 of the Prem, however.

His dominance of his own area is very poor though, and that's the sort of thing that puts the shits up defenders. It's all well and good stopping the 25 yarders(which he's superb at), but when you're back 4 are forced into defending the 6 yard box on crosses, it's asking for mistakes.

With a disclaimer that I haven't seen the incident, what a hypocrite Wenger is - anyone remember the thing about 3 years ago when Henry took a couple of quick free-kicks and Wenger said he had every right to do so?

With a disclaimer that I haven't seen the incident, what a hypocrite Wenger is - anyone remember the thing about 3 years ago when Henry took a couple of quick free-kicks and Wenger said he had every right to do so?

Very Wenger ;)

This is the same ref who missed Henry's handball against Ireland. After that game, cut to Wenger in the studio giggling, whilst protecting the ref and saying something like "these things even themselves out".

dick.

I agree with all that, Ewerk and Alex. The mistakes are rare, which is a huge bonus. He's nowhere near one of the best keepers in the world though, imo. Defo in the top 4 of the Prem, however.

His dominance of his own area is very poor though, and that's the sort of thing that puts the shits up defenders. It's all well and good stopping the 25 yarders(which he's superb at), but when you're back 4 are forced into defending the 6 yard box on crosses, it's asking for mistakes.

You know Ant though, feast or famine with that kid ;)

Being without huge flaws in your game would make you one of the best. A keeper unable to collect crosses and with shite distribution wouldn't be one of the best.

Also, regarding international selection. He's been great for Ireland, as expectations aren't that high, and what's the alternative, Paddy Kenny? We know how that goes(Cyprus).

You know Ant though, feast or famine with that kid ;)

Too soon... :icon_lol:

You know Ant though, feast or famine with that kid :icon_lol:

Too soon... <_<

;)

Playing for Ireland doesn't in itself tbf. England are better than Ireland and look at some of the shite we've had in goal recently.

That's why i mentioned the other things, like you said in the players awards/teams of the year etc his name comes up, hes regarded as one of the best in one of the top leagues, which sort places him in the "one of the best in the world" list.

Put it this way, there's not many teams in the world he wouldn't be the first choice keeper in..

Why mention it then? ;)

The other two things you mentioned don't make you world class either imo although it's a definition which is largely down to the individual so it's a bit moot. I really don't see how anyone could argue with the limitations Barney mentions though. This has been done to death anyway and I couldn't really give a fuck about Given's career any more.