Shay - Press Conference

donaldstott

3rd best keeper in the PL after Cech and Reina.

Reina is shit. Organised defense, and posession controlling midfield in fornt of him, before you start quoting clean sheets. Ordinary as in terms of controlling his box.

You're kidding me right? Cech aside, there isn't a better keeper in the Premiership to deal with crosses (and I include Van Der Sar in that too).

Awesome shot stopper, never stops conversing with his players and a brave old sod to boot - his double-save in the first half of extra time last was superb.

Reina, Cech and Given are head and shoulders above the rest IMO.

Your love for anything scouse is getting worrying Craig... :lol:

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did the club actually gain by selling Given?

Sleepy went for £6m, so that counters what we paid for Nolan & Taylor (give or take)

So why sell him, surely even the 'regime' couldn't have thought that making a quick 6 million would be worth it if it meant increasing our of chances of being relegated?

...I'm wrong aren't I

...they are that fucking stupid.

They saw 4 goalkeepers at the club, two of which were pushing into their 30s and one of which could make them more money than the other.

They way the see it i'm certain is that we have 1 experienced keeper who everyone raves as being the best 'understudy' goalkeeper in the premiership, two young kids who have shown great potential and £6m in the bank.

BTW - statto time, apparently Steve Harper by a country mile holds the record for sitting on the bench the most times in Premiership history.

Surely waiting till the summer transfer window would have been the sensible option all round.

Reina is shit. Organised defense, and posession controlling midfield in fornt of him, before you start quoting clean sheets. Ordinary as in terms of controlling his box.

You're kidding me right? Cech aside, there isn't a better keeper in the Premiership to deal with crosses (and I include Van Der Sar in that too).

Awesome shot stopper, never stops conversing with his players and a brave old sod to boot - his double-save in the first half of extra time last was superb.

Your love for anything scouse is getting worrying Craig... :lol:

The connection made between me praising anything to do with Liverpool and my missus being a fan of theirs became tiresome a long time ago.

Doesn't matter who he plays for, he's a fucking class keeper. I can't stand Chelsea but I'd rate Cech as a better keeper than both Reina and Given with Shay ahead of Pepe.

What did the club actually gain by selling Given?

Sleepy went for £6m, so that counters what we paid for Nolan & Taylor (give or take)

So why sell him, surely even the 'regime' couldn't have thought that making a quick 6 million would be worth it if it meant increasing our of chances of being relegated?

...I'm wrong aren't I

...they are that fucking stupid.

They saw 4 goalkeepers at the club, two of which were pushing into their 30s and one of which could make them more money than the other.

They way the see it i'm certain is that we have 1 experienced keeper who everyone raves as being the best 'understudy' goalkeeper in the premiership, two young kids who have shown great potential and £6m in the bank.

BTW - statto time, apparently Steve Harper by a country mile holds the record for sitting on the bench the most times in Premiership history.

Surely waiting till the summer transfer window would have been the sensible option all round.

With this club? You're kidding me right?? :lol:

Nope - they've cashed in now and I bet it's got something to with the summer and winter transfer windows showing profit. I suspect given the shit going on in the financial world, Ashley has a lot of creditors to please and he certainly bit off more than he could chew when he bought us (his own doing admittedly).

I would have said Owen would go in the summer, but he'll be away on a Bosman anyway. Someone else will leave for big bucks - I'm convinced of it. Beye or Bassong probably.

Correct and I'm the best judge of keepers on earth. :lol:

Correct and I'm the best judge of keepers on earth. :lol:

FA Cup Final vs Wet Spam. Horrible keeping by Reina in that. If it wasn't for Gerrard and one of the worst ever penalty shootouts from West Ham Liverpool would have lost. Also that 0-3 loss to Everton - there was absolutely comical keeping from Pepe. Around the same time that he was setting records for clean sheets. Calling him shit was a bit over the top, I'll give you that. He's not a horrible keeper. But IMO he's vastly overrated, a myth propagated by having a well organised defense, and a very good midfield in front of him. He is still young though, so he does have that on his side. Regardless, there's other keepers in the league that I would rate over Reina.

Edited by OzToonFan

Someone else will leave for big bucks - I'm convinced of it. Beye or Bassong probably.

I reckon Bassong and/or Gutthierez. Bassong was bought fairly cheaply wasn't he? That's what they're looking for.

Happy Days and not in the Habib Beye sense either. :lol:

You're joking with the last bit aren't you HF? Kinnear had just arrived and he had improved on Hughton (hard not to do so). Talk about picking holes out of nothing. That's just trying to put a positive spin on a bad situation imo but I'd guess things have gotten worse.

Just nit-picking that his six months of despondency should have been three. That WAS contrary :lol:

I see where you're coming from re: him trying to imply he was forced out like. I think he'd just had enough but perhaps he did instigate things.

"I've been here for four years. It's a club who have allowed me to discover the France youth team, and I thank them for that, but at some point you have to know how to aim higher"

"All that he can see ahead with the turmoil on and off the pitch is a battle for survival. Having served the club loyally for over 11 years, Shay feels compelled to consider his position in the light of the interest being expressed in him by Manchester City, Arsenal and Tottenham."

As far as I can see Shay has behaved no better than Zoggy. The booing of one that started after making his comment and the cheering that peristed for the other is obviously based on the service they've given the club, but is still either unfair on one or leniant to the other.

Edited by Happy Face

But IMO he's vastly overrated, a myth propagated by having a well organised defense, and a very good midfield in front of him.

You're getting him mixed up with Van Der Sar shirley? Who is indeed VERY ordinary.

I've read the quotes again and this bit really is quite unbelievable:

"The way they dealt with the whole thing was a bit disgusting. The way they dealt with my family and me, they could have made it a little easier to be honest. The club finally spoke to me on January 26. That was the first contact I had with the owner Mike Ashley. The people in charge of the club were very unhelpful.

What a shambles.

"The way they dealt with the whole thing was a bit disgusting. The way they dealt with my family and me, they could have made it a little easier to be honest. The club finally spoke to me on January 26. That was the first contact I had with the owner Mike Ashley. The people in charge of the club were very unhelpful.

What a shambles.

And this is was one of most important players who'd served the club for almost 12 years. Desperate to keep them like, weren't they?

Quite the opposite - not only was the stable door open, Shay was loaded into a catapult aimed in the Manchester direction :lol:

Just a token (and typically heavy-handed) PR gesture by Ashley imo. I think they were more than happy to flog Chez.

Edited by alex

What a shambles.

And this is was one of most important players who'd served the club for almost 12 years. Desperate to keep them like, weren't they?

Quite the opposite - not only was the stable door open, Shay was loaded into a catapult aimed in the Manchester direction ;)

Despite Shay stating his satisfaction with the club in November (after a few injury strewn years where he played no more than half the games, and in those games he DID play, not as well as the second fiddle keeper did), then issuing a "come and get me" plea in December (after a string of excellent performances), then submitting a transfer request when the club refused offers.

:lol:

What a shambles.

Quite the opposite - not only was the stable door open, Shay was loaded into a catapult aimed in the Manchester direction ;)

Despite Shay stating his satisfaction with the club in November (after a few injury strewn years where he played no more than half the games, and in those games he DID play, not as well as the second fiddle keeper did), then issuing a "come and get me" plea in December (after a string of excellent performances), then submitting a transfer request when the club refused offers.

:lol:

Issued as he was loaded into the catapult tbh. As Alex said, we were more than happy to sell him

I think it's sort of a pointless argument anyway. I see where HF is coming from but even if you would go as far as to say Given acted unprofessionally (I wouldn't but that's by the by), for me it's all about what prompted him to want to leave a club he obviously has deep affection for.

I think it's sort of a pointless argument anyway. I see where HF is coming from but even if you would go as far as to say Given acted unprofessionally (I wouldn't but that's by the by), for me it's all about what prompted him to want to leave a club he obviously has deep affection for.

in a nutshell... :lol:

in a nutshell... :lol:

No doubt. Shay would still be here if Keegle was.

Fucking hell man, check out the cut and paste work that kitbag have done - that was Shay stood between Owen and Duff a couple of weeks back! :lol:

tlm-a.jpg

Cleary Given got in a strop then the club weren't doing business, just like when he snapped his crayons in 2000 when Sir Bobby had the audacity to play an in form Harper ahead of him, then then slaps in a transfer request which is a statement of intent to leave the club ASAP regardless of whether the club are willing to sell, as it has been stated before, if Given had any regard to the fans he'd have fought relegation with us and left in the summer.

Really can't understand the fucking shite spouted by some fans towards Given after the service he's given us over the past decade.

He's been a fucking terrific servant and can't be blamed whatsoever for wanting to get out of this shit-tip

Cleary Given got in a strop then the club weren't doing business, just like when he snapped his crayons in 2000 when Sir Bobby had the audacity to play an in form Harper ahead of him, then then slaps in a transfer request which is a statement of intent to leave the club ASAP regardless of whether the club are willing to sell, as it has been stated before, if Given had any regard to the fans he'd have fought relegation with us and left in the summer.

Really can't understand the fucking shite spouted by some fans towards Given after the service he's given us over the past decade.

He's been a fucking terrific servant and can't be blamed whatsoever for wanting to get out of this shit-tip

burningfuse.jpg

Aye lets all give up, thats the spirit that'll get us get us out our current position.

Aye lets all give up, thats the spirit that'll get us get us out our current position.

After 11 consistent and solid years I think he has a right to be pissed off and move on to a better club.

Only attention seeking fuckwits would think otherwise