Classic Oba interview

smoggeordie

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/7948411.stm

Newcastle United striker Obafemi Martins says that one of the reasons that he is happy at the club is the attitude of the supporters.

"For the fact that they love me, I have to share the love as well, I have to love them back. They love me for the job I'm doing," Martins told BBC Sport.

"No matter how Newcastle's doing you have to still love the team, you have to try and help.

"I'm happy here and I'm proud that I'm playing for Newcastle."

With the club above the bottom three only on goal difference, Martins has been urged by many of his compatriots to move to a more successful club.

"A lot of my fans in Nigeria say 'you have to go to Arsenal' or this or that," he told the BBC World Service's African Sport programme Fast Track.

"I understand what they feel, because Newcastle's not doing good, but for me, I'm happy here and I need to play football."

"I always say that they're among the best fans ever, people in Newcastle are really good people."

:lol:

He seems to have turned into one of our most important players not because he's got any better but because we are getting progressively worse. Certainly in terms of attributes that can change games, like pace and the ability to do something out of the ordinary. We look so fucking pedestrian these days it's untrue.

He seems to have turned into one of our most important players not because he's got any better but because we are getting progressively worse. Certainly in terms of attributes that can change games, like pace and the ability to do something out of the ordinary. We look so fucking pedestrian these days it's untrue.

What you get from him is from the heart, which can't be said of a some of the players.

What you get from him is from the heart, which can't be said of a some of the players.

The implication he wouldn't rather be at Arsenal is believable then?

:lol:

Would be in my starting XI every time but that's more to do with how shit we are, as Onion said.

he scores as many goals as anyways else we've had lately

he cost half a much as owen... he's not too injury prone and did well in previous seasons

dunno why he gets as much stick as he does, i'm more than happy he's here, good player who would do better if we hadn't got such a shite midfield

Doesn't get that much stick tbf. Unlike Owen, which is perplexing, given they've both contributed about the same to the team, minus the platitudes, obviously.

he cost half a much as owen... he's not too injury prone and did well in previous seasons

dunno why he gets as much stick as he does, i'm more than happy he's here, good player who would do better if we hadn't got such a shite midfield

Doesn't get that much stick tbf. Unlike Owen, which is perplexing, given they've both contributed about the same to the team, minus the platitudes, obviously.

wasn't a dig at owen more a comparison that he seems to get the plaudits for save our season and no where near as much abuse (minus when i rant)

Yeah, right :lol:

And Owen gets loads more abuse off Newcastle fans man.

Oba is hero-worshipped more than any other player. The fact that these platitudes are so lapped up just goes to prove that. On the other hand, when was the last time you heard an Owen chant, even when he's scored?

Maybe I'm just too cynical now but I couldn't give a toss what any of the players say at this point in time. Do your talking on the field if you want any respect.

I really hope we can keep Oba next season. If we got a decent Midfield, or even just a midfield that can put a good through ball through once in a while then the guy would be on fire.

I :lol: Martins but he's been absolute gash since returning from injury. Hull was a little bit of an improvement (as opposed to Bolton where he really looked like he couldn't be arsed) but he's not shown the effort he was known for two seasons ago at all.

We know his goals can keep us up, happened once before, so it's vital that he stays fit and tries to get into the game rather than just hanging out up top and waiting for the ball.

wasn't a dig at owen more a comparison that he seems to get the plaudits for save our season and no where near as much abuse (minus when i rant)

Yeah, right :lol:

And Owen gets loads more abuse off Newcastle fans man.

naw thats just me in my many guises :D

anyways next season we will be having thios convo with you defending shola and me with andy caroll lol

I'm not even defending Owen ;)

Hope the pair of them play the remaining games though tbf. It's about our best hope of staying up.

so we shouldn't read into his comments on facebook this week about playing for Fenebache to meet up with his buddy Emre again ? :lol:

I really hope we can keep Oba next season. If we got a decent Midfield, or even just a midfield that can put a good through ball through once in a while then the guy would be on fire.

You reckon Oba's not been getting the support to score?

I recall him being sent clean through against Man U and putting it wide. Could have been 2 up in fifteen minutes and comfortable. That's always been his problem. He should at least hit the target. Scores absolute scorchers out of nowhere so people love him even though he can't put away the bread and butter chances.