Starting your own Business

Christmas Tree

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of comedy nights in two venues. I'd be happy to bring in a modest income if I was doing something I love. Just need the start-up capital and a better economic climate.

Couple of comedy nights in two venues. I'd be happy to bring in a modest income if I was doing something I love. Just need the start-up capital and a better economic climate.

you love running comedy clubs?

:lol:

:lol:

I'm not being funny but......

I do.

I've been involved in the Comedy scene for a few years and I really get a buzz out of running nights. the problem lies in being successful with it.

It's not sexy, but it's true.

I've tried performing, but I'm not good enough, I've written a bit for other people, but that's not going to pay enough. The best way for me to be involved in an industry I enjoy, is to run a couple of gigs

I do.

I've been involved in the Comedy scene for a few years and I really get a buzz out of running nights. the problem lies in being successful with it.

It's not sexy, but it's true.

I've tried performing, but I'm not good enough, I've written a bit for other people, but that's not going to pay enough. The best way for me to be involved in an industry I enjoy, is to run a couple of gigs

Oh.

Good luck with that.

Ok, I'll bite.

That's an odd response Danny, wanna expand on it?

Expanded:

Oh, I thought you were going to say you wanted be a stand up.

Good luck with your dream of setting up some comedy clubs.

So lets say you've got £5,000 to play with and you've just been sacked and your only alternative is working for yourself.

What would you do?

Only start a business if you have a client/clients first.

Ok, I'll bite.

That's an odd response Danny, wanna expand on it?

Expanded:

Oh, I thought you were going to say you wanted be a stand up.

Good luck with your dream of setting up some comedy clubs.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to be a successful Stand up comedian... I'm just nowhere near good enough. One of the pleasures of running gigs is seeing the waves of wannabees crashing on the unforgiving audiences. :lol:

But I'm glad I tried it, I'd have hated to miss out just because I was scared.

what about you Danny? Any dreams?

start a climbing wall design company.......

custom designs only to start, get more capital then get into sales and design of a modular wall (not panels) but actual structure (like tinker toys) that would keep climbing gyms "fresh" and unboring.

Guest Stevie

:lol::icon_lol:<_<:nufc::D:angry::):):):):) pmsl

Guest Stevie

I have plans to start my own business in the next 2 years, when the recession is over anyway, I won't even need 5 grand to start it, I already have the infrastructure in place.

Guest Stevie
Start a recession-proof business. People will always need their hair cutting and death is inevitable, so my advice would be to set up a hairdressing and funeral parlour. I'm sure someone on here could come up with a name for it.

HAIR TODAY GONE TOMORROW

I have plans to start my own business in the next 2 years, when the recession is over anyway, I won't even need 5 grand to start it, I already have the infrastructure in place.

Stevie if you have a recruitment background and 5 or 6 clients you get on with it's a license to print money. Go for it.

Start a recession-proof business. People will always need their hair cutting and death is inevitable, so my advice would be to set up a hairdressing and funeral parlour. I'm sure someone on here could come up with a name for it.

HAIR TODAY GONE TOMORROW

CURL UP AND DIE

EDIT: or DYE

Edited by Dr Kenneth Noisewater

:lol::icon_lol:<_<:nufc::D:angry::):):):):) pmsl

... :scratchhead: I don't get it.

(I suggest you read the thread before revealing your idiocy Stevie lad) :angry:

So lets say you've got £5,000 to play with and you've just been sacked and your only alternative is working for yourself.

What would you do?

I'll tell you because thats EXACTLY the scenario that hubby faced one year ago. Well he wasnt sacked as such, I'd say things were just made so difficult for him to remain in his job that he left. He'd worked as bike mechanic/MOT inspector in the same firm for 29 years, the last 10 years or so he ran the workshop completely. Anyhow the daughter of the owner took over and of course had new ideas etc, they clashed so hubby left.

We had £5,000 given as a gift from his parents. nothing more except my wages and just alittle savings. We were scared stiff but there was no way hubby could work for anyone else, he'd run the garage his own way for too long. Besides why should he? he'd made others well off for long enough! Tbh it was all go and luckily we didnt have much time to ponder on the 'what ifs' Within a couple weeks we'd found a unit on a trading estate to rent, all our mates helped to get it looking smart. Luckily hubby had most of the tools and equipment he needed as he'd bought it all off 'snap on' overs the years. (thousands of pounds worth of gear which I think we can still claim the tax on) We sorted out accounts with parts dealers, opened a business account (major headache in itself) had a nightmare getting insurances, found an accountant... etc etc ..its always the paperwork stuff that gives you the stress!!!

He opened the doors of his garage last April. One year on now and things have been pretty good. Our aim was just to try and make it through the first year which we've done. A big learning curve but I have to say apart from 2 or 3 quiet weeks after Christmas hubby has been pretty much flat out with work. Having been in the trade for years and knowing so many people, a large majority of his old firm's customers came to him plus new ones too. Their loyality and support has been briliant, many say, 'Bri has looked after my bikes for years, I'm not letting anyone else touch them!'

So considering our bad timing with the recession an all, things have worked out. . Now we are finding we could do with bigger premises and plan to put in our own MOT bay. Im very cautious about it all though.