Gay people

Christmas Tree

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do gay blokes really talk about cock more than straight blokes talk about gash or is it just more noticeable when gay men do it because it "isn't normal"?

Good point, but I think they do tbh. My friends don't turn the most innocuous comment iof mine into an innuendo about fadges and I've never been made a clunge shaped cake for my birthday.

I think he can be quite witty sometimes as it happens, leaving the main thrust of my point aside. But seriously Meenz, what do you think? Do you think that by defining themselves by tedious nob jokes and innuendo and so on some gay people encourage the sort of 'banter' that can veer towards homophobic abuse?

I like the main thrust of your point. ;)

....this isn't helping, right? :icon_lol:

In all honesty, I find that sort of thing pretty tedious and tend not to spend time with gays of the "oo, get her!" variety, so I suppose it's hard for me to judge. The fact that people are generally surprised to discover I'm gay suggests the camp 'n' screaming stereotype is fairly ingrained even in the most open-minded of people (myself included, frankly!), but whether that's just the way it is or it's perpetuated by überfags being überfaggy? Difficult to say. Either way, for all I play up that kind of thing for laughs on here sometimes, I'd hate to think I was defined by my sexuality. There's more to life. Eurovision and lovely pink cocktails, for a start!

(Still not helping, right?)

I think he can be quite witty sometimes as it happens, leaving the main thrust of my point aside. But seriously Meenz, what do you think? Do you think that by defining themselves by tedious nob jokes and innuendo and so on some gay people encourage the sort of 'banter' that can veer towards homophobic abuse?

In all honesty, I find that sort of thing pretty tedious and tend not to spend time with gays of the "oo, get her!" variety, so I suppose it's hard for me to judge. The fact that people are generally surprised to discover I'm gay suggests the camp 'n' screaming stereotype is fairly ingrained even in the most open-minded of people (myself included, frankly!), but whether that's just the way it is or it's perpetuated by überfags being überfaggy? Difficult to say. Either way, for all I play up that kind of thing for laughs on here sometimes, I'd hate to think I was defined by my sexuality. There's more to life. Eurovision and lovely pink cocktails, for a start!

I don't think you are defined by your sexuality on here at all.

:D

You are though.

You are though.

You are though.

Do you think that by defining themselves by tedious nob jokes and innuendo and so on some gay people encourage the sort of 'banter' that can veer towards homophobic abuse?

I'm starting to get the impression all your experience with the gays comes from Are You Being Served and Britains Got talent.

Do you think that by defining themselves by tedious nob jokes and innuendo and so on some gay people encourage the sort of 'banter' that can veer towards homophobic abuse?

I'm starting to get the impression all your experience with the gays comes from Are You Being Served and Britains Got talent.

;)

Nothing could be further from the truth, and check out the bolded word. Of those that I know well, one of my oldest and closest friends came out about 7 years ago, and neither I nor my friends have ever used the sort of 'banter' I describe with him. I went travelling with a guy of my course who was more that way (he reveled in being known amongst the other medical students as 'Gay Ben'). I worked with a trio of gay doctors last year, one who's camp as Christmas and has the nickname of 'Big Gay Al', Richard who didn't make a big deal about it but has the nobhead friends I referred to earlier, and my reg who, perhaps due to his seniority, rarely discussed anything he did outside of work let alone his sexuality. Although my friends and girlfriend at the time were convinced he was trying to groom me.

This isn't just a 'I'm not racist, my best friends are black' post but an illustration of my experience of how SOME gay people perpetuate the stereotypes that other gay people find offensive.

The problem is that most people with none gay friends, see gays represented by the likes of Norton, Dale whatisname and the mincer of corrie, so it becomes a very true stereo type for a lot of people.

I remember working in a sop when the metro centre first opened and out of a staff of 10, there was this one gay lad. While he wasnt openly abused, there was a distinct fear at the time of catching aids from him which caused various problems. Nobody wanted to use his mug (which had had a poison logo drawn on) and nobody wanted to follow him into the netty)

Guest alex
The problem is that most people with none gay friends, see gays represented by the likes of Norton, Dale whatisname and the mincer of corrie, so it becomes a very true stereo type for a lot of people.

I remember working in a sop when the metro centre first opened and out of a staff of 10, there was this one gay lad. While he wasnt openly abused, there was a distinct fear at the time of catching aids from him which caused various problems. Nobody wanted to use his mug (which had had a poison logo drawn on) and nobody wanted to follow him into the netty)

You might as well say the problem is most people are thick as shit.

No I disagree.

I take your point with regard to racism and that sort of thing, but a lot of very normal people do not come into contact with gay people and therefore are only aware of the gays who are in the spotlight. The majority of these spotlight gays are the mincers.

Guest alex

No I disagree.

I take your point with regard to racism and that sort of thing, but a lot of very normal people do not come into contact with gay people and therefore are only aware of the gays who are in the spotlight. The majority of these spotlight gays are the mincers.

I wasn't making a point about racism.

;)

Nothing could be further from the truth, and check out the bolded word. Of those that I know well, one of my oldest and closest friends came out about 7 years ago, and neither I nor my friends have ever used the sort of 'banter' I describe with him. I went travelling with a guy of my course who was more that way (he reveled in being known amongst the other medical students as 'Gay Ben'). I worked with a trio of gay doctors last year, one who's camp as Christmas and has the nickname of 'Big Gay Al', Richard who didn't make a big deal about it but has the nobhead friends I referred to earlier, and my reg who, perhaps due to his seniority, rarely discussed anything he did outside of work let alone his sexuality. Although my friends and girlfriend at the time were convinced he was trying to groom me.

This isn't just a 'I'm not racist, my best friends are black' post but an illustration of my experience of how SOME gay people perpetuate the stereotypes that other gay people find offensive.

Absolutley, and some black people have been known to jack cars and rape white women. It doesn't mean anyone should feel encouraged to allow their 'banter' to veer towards racist abuse though, even though it's a lot worse than saying "oh matron" when you offer them pork and stufing for tea.

Edited by Happy Face

When I was at catering college, one of the lads came out.

He was the not in the least bit camp, in fact some of the younger lads on the course were a bit scared of him( before he came out) as he was built like a shithouse and nails with it.

He came out one afternoon in the bar, sat and answered any questions the lads had, and that was that.

I had bags of respect for the way he did it.

I've also worked with some screaming queens too, it was hard to take them as fully rounded people, since their entire personality seemed based on a panto character.

I also know some mackems and coloured folks ;)