Joey Barton

Sir Bob Almighty!

Do you think if Barton ever gets back he will be an influential player for us, do you think we will benefit from his presence on the field?

I think he could be big player for us if hes back for the final few crunch games and hopefully he can bag a few goals and assists from midfield, hes definitely someone i would keep if we stay up next season, providing he stays fit that is.

Whats everyones views on him, and does anyone know when hes back?

He is our best midfielder imo, just a shame he is never fit or gets a decent run when he starts getting fit.

Head and shoulders above any central midfielders at the club (I like Guthrie but he is still some way off a fully fit Barton).

For me, he's the best midfielder we've got. He's also got 100 % committment and desire. Pity his head carries so many unnecessary demons, but that is something we will just have to ignore for now. Play him in every game he's fit, and we have a much better chance of staying up.

Barton used to be able to score. He's gone close to scoring in general play for us a few times. I think it's unlile;y that we'll get goals from Butt, and Nolan has gone off the boil, so barton and guthrie are our two central midfielders who are most likely to chip in with a goal IMO.

He's a canny player but take away two good seasons at Man City and his scoring record isn't much. I know that's manipulating the stats but players like him can have a couple of seasons where they get a few goals and it doesn't necessarily mean he's a goal-scoring midfielder. I like him as he is probably the most genuine box-to-box player we have who can do a job in the middle of the park and he's still probably the most likely to score despite what I've just said. All I'm saying is we shouldn't expect too much from him because he just isn't all that good. He should start for us every time when fit though.

Edited by alex

Best of a bad bunch and his return gives us more chance of doing it - I still don't think we will but Barton (and Viduka) would make a difference.

I think he would, simply because he actually has a bit of drive about him, as well as the desire to make things happen. You can't fault Butt's attitude but he just doesn't have it anymore, and he's having to do things that he shouldn't because those around him aren't good enough as well as aren't showing any willing at all to take responsibility. Yes Mr. Nolan, I'm looking at you. :D

He's better than Nolan. My worry is that when he came back from his previous metatarsal fracture it was taking him an age to get up to speed, and he didn't get there in the end as he got himself locked up. Anyway he was largely crap till Keegan went 4-3-3 and gave him that fairly limited role on the left, although to be fair to him he did his job well then. The fact remains he's done precious little in his time in a Newcastle shirt, especially going forward.

With six games left he'll need to get match fit quickly to make an impact, and I'm not sure that's likely. Depends if he's still off the drink and looking after himself I'd guess.

He's got a clever pass or two in his locker but he's rarely produced that in his time here. I've seen him give it away plenty as well, then chase back and foul as he's got no pace at all. His best football was at Man City when he had Hamman sitting and doing the tidying up for him, allowing him to get forward all game. We haven't got anyone near Hamman's class. As I say it'll be a boost to have him available but I don't expect too much, and I also think Guthrie is our best passer of a football from midfield, though again he's no world-beater.

Best of a bad bunch and his return gives us more chance of doing it - I still don't think we will but Barton (and Viduka) would make a difference.

I think he would, simply because he actually has a bit of drive about him, as well as the desire to make things happen. You can't fault Butt's attitude but he just doesn't have it anymore, and he's having to do things that he shouldn't because those around him aren't good enough as well as aren't showing any willing at all to take responsibility. Yes Mr. Nolan, I'm looking at you. :D

This is it, his drive, energy and aggression alone puts him a mile ahead of Nolan trundling about doing fuck all and whilst as Alex says his actual scoring record isn't great he looks as if he will at least try and get one!

And if he plays he will make the forwad runs, he will try some passes and look to make things happen which means Butt who is incapable of it can stop having to try as the rest of them bottle it.

I think Butt is finished as a prem player, but for this season he can do a job with Barton, but when he's with the likes of Nolan he ends up having to be the playmaker!

This is it, his drive, energy and aggression alone puts him a mile ahead of Nolan trundling about doing fuck all and whilst as Alex says his actual scoring record isn't great he looks as if he will at least try and get one!

And if he plays he will make the forwad runs, he will try some passes and look to make things happen which means Butt who is incapable of it can stop having to try as the rest of them bottle it.

I think Butt is finished as a prem player, but for this season he can do a job with Barton, but when he's with the likes of Nolan he ends up having to be the playmaker!

so keep Butt to clean up behind barton, play him just in front of the back 4 as a classic DM and leave barton to boss the midfield with duff and jonas his wide men?

(I'm just using names, not who I actually think is any good)

so keep Butt to clean up behind barton, play him just in front of the back 4 as a classic DM and leave barton to boss the midfield with duff and jonas his wide men?

Assuming Big Al didn't want a 3 man attack, or indeed 3 man defence again, then certainly away from home i'd go Butt as DM and Barton to get us going in the middle. At home though, we may have to go for it sometimes with more attackign lineups, whether it be Barton and Guthrie or something involving 3 attackers etc.

If Barton is fit enough though, i'd chuck him into a relegation fight!

Assuming Big Al didn't want a 3 man attack, or indeed 3 man defence again, then certainly away from home i'd go Butt as DM and Barton to get us going in the middle. At home though, we may have to go for it sometimes with more attackign lineups, whether it be Barton and Guthrie or something involving 3 attackers etc.

If Barton is fit enough though, i'd chuck him into a relegation fight!

Fair comment away from home like, so at home something like (flat back 4, take your pick, its a shame we can't find a place for S taylor as he has looked a different player when bombing up the wing) with Duff, Barton, Jonas in the middle of the park and Martins (assuming he overcomes his groin injury) Owen and Carrol

I don't like strola, I never have done, so he would never be in my side, I would jiggle players and formations around but he would never pull the shirt on in my team :D

Fair comment away from home like, so at home something like (flat back 4, take your pick, its a shame we can't find a place for S taylor as he has looked a different player when bombing up the wing) with Duff, Barton, Jonas in the middle of the park and Martins (assuming he overcomes his groin injury) Owen and Carrol

I don't like strola, I never have done, so he would never be in my side, I would jiggle players and formations around but he would never pull the shirt on in my team :D

Yeah at home i'd probably go flat back four and then see who was fit and available, look at the opposition and mix and match. But its hard to say isn't it exactly what line up to go for as very few players have exactly made themselves an obvious choice!

Against Spurs of course we won't have Barton so i'd go Butt and Guthrie if its 4 man midfield, but we'll see what Big Al has in store for us soon!

Has taken him a good few games to get up to speed after his injury lay offs in the past, nowt unique in that, but I'm not counting on him being much of a contributor in the remaining fixtures.

That is my worry, even though i'd risk it just to get Nolan out the team, its true that Barton in the past has taken a while to get back to match fitness. Althouh was it Villa this season when he returned from injury or suspension i can't remember and he looked pretty good straight away?

Has taken him a good few games to get up to speed after his injury lay offs in the past, nowt unique in that, but I'm not counting on him being much of a contributor in the remaining fixtures.

That is my worry, even though i'd risk it just to get Nolan out the team, its true that Barton in the past has taken a while to get back to match fitness. Althouh was it Villa this season when he returned from injury or suspension i can't remember and he looked pretty good straight away?

all true, but Big Al himself says he has upped the tempo and duration of training, that to me signifies that training before hand was abit of a joke and and explains the shocking lack of fitness displayed by some of our players, hopefully they can get some of the injured players back onto the training pitch and get them fit

i'd take a barton able to run around than the current midfield options we have