Newcastle United 3-1 Boro, full time.

Jimbo

The key was Viduka and last night he finally stepped up. Viduka is the key to our survival. Owen, Oba and our midfielders can play off him and he showed last night he still has it when he can be arsed to show it. Oba was lucky with his shot, but you need luck as well as skill to win matches and we were due some :rolleyes:

I'd start with the same 11 against Fulham or maybe swap Guti for Lovenkrands and bring guti on later in the match.

I

If only Viduka wasn't injured all the time. Undoubtedly one of the best strikers in the league on his day and should have achieved so much more in the game. His hold up play and intelligence is immense. Here's hoping he can stay fit for the final 2 games.

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd start with the same 11 against Fulham or maybe swap Guti for Lovenkrands and bring guti on later in the match.

Start with the same 11 - guti on 1st, loverlover on as sub

--------------Harper---------------------

Beye------Taylor----Bassong-----Duff

Lovenkrands---Guthrie---Butt---Jonas

---------Martins---Viduka--------------

Edited by Kid Dynamite

Guthrie shunned NUFC protocol :rolleyes:

Harper - absolute gash, says the match reviewer :yahoo:

Well I've seen some shocking keepers but I wouldn't put Harper's performance anywhere near that list. Given's had some howlers at City btw....

Well done though everyone, I'm sure Harper'll be feeling on top of the world for Saturday now.

Eh?! What do you expect people to say? How brilliant he was, despite him being distinctly average again?

It's about opinions man, and in many people's opinion who were at the match and could clearly see more than someone watching it from a stream, could see his distribution and willingness to help out the back 4 was painful.

And if Harper will now not be "on top of the world for Saturday", well he'll only have himself to blame.

You're insane. Whoever thinks that finding a new player to knock the shit out of is a good idea is an absolute fucking idiot.

Steven Taylor is everyone's favourite player now though. :boogie:

Seriously, get a grip. Harper's a very good keeper who didn't bail on us and he doesn't deserve the stick he's getting. I don't care if I'm in a minority of one, last night he added momentum to the play and made no glaring errors that I was concerned about. Of course the players were fucking nervous at times but really....

Howay man, in the grand scheme of players worth whinging aboot, Harper doesn't even scratch the surface. If you're going to have a pop at players' performances, I reckon there's a good dozen ahead of him.

At last. :rolleyes:

Well I've seen some shocking keepers but I wouldn't put Harper's performance anywhere near that list. Given's had some howlers at City btw....

Well done though everyone, I'm sure Harper'll be feeling on top of the world for Saturday now.

Perhaps he doesn't browse on here?

That article may well get back to him though. Good stuff whoever wrote that. :boogie: Excellent psychology.

Harper - absolute gash, says the match reviewer :boogie:

Eh?! What do you expect people to say? How brilliant he was, despite him being distinctly average again?

It's about opinions man, and in many people's opinion who were at the match and could clearly see more than someone watching it from a stream, could see his distribution and willingness to help out the back 4 was painful.

And if Harper will now not be "on top of the world for Saturday", well he'll only have himself to blame.

You're insane. Whoever thinks that finding a new player to knock the shit out of is a good idea is an absolute fucking idiot.

Steven Taylor is everyone's favourite player now though. :nufc:

Seriously, get a grip. Harper's a very good keeper who didn't bail on us and he doesn't deserve the stick he's getting. I don't care if I'm in a minority of one, last night he added momentum to the play and made no glaring errors that I was concerned about. Of course the players were fucking nervous at times but really....

Harper doesn't inspire any confidence in me at all, I hope he's not our number one next year if we stay up.

Asprilla, I suggest you accept it's alright for fans to criticise players and you pipe down a bit. :yahoo:

On a positive note, last night reminded me why I go to football matches. Incredible!

I think Harper's been shitting himself since he became no. 1.

That's the impression you get like. Makes sense really, given his lack of ambition all those years as Given's number 2. He must be getting on a bit now as well. I think it's yet another position we have to fill to move forward.

Guest alex

That's the impression you get like. Makes sense really, given his lack of ambition all those years as Given's number 2. He must be getting on a bit now as well. I think it's yet another position we have to fill to move forward.

I'd like to see what Krul and Foster could do. I think it was fair enough not chucking them in at the deep end this season though. Let's hope Given's sale doesn't still cost us yet.

:rolleyes: I don't reckon any posts on here will affect Harper tbh. Get a fucking grip.

Exactly.

I'm not actively seeking out someone to have a go at, and I'm 100% supportive during the match. However, I am entitled to an opinion, and if I think Harper had a poor game then I'll say so. On a fans' message board of all places.

It's clear to see why he was number 2 for so many years tbh.

Anyone see his interview on setanta? He seemed nervous as fuck. Seemed quite intelligent too, even though I thought he was meant to be thick as two short planks

Hasn't he got a degree?

Perhaps he doesn't browse on here?

That article may well get back to him though. Good stuff whoever wrote that. :boogie: Excellent psychology.

Wheras you practice nothing but positive reinforcement...

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...mp;#entry613433

:nufc:

Words do not describe the hangover I have but I'll gladly live with it today. After all the hate I've given Taylor and Martins this season, I couldn't care less. They could double team my mother and I'd just throw a blanket over them. What a night.

:rolleyes:

I think describing Harper as utter gash is a little harsh, although I appreciate that people at the match get to see more of what he was/wasn't doing than those of us who had to settle for Setanta. He made some good saves and did try to keep the momentum going with quick distribution. However, I also agree he looks nervous. Given the importance of last night, I think he was more nervous than normal. He seems scared to come out and claim the ball on a few occasions last night in case it resulted in him making a mistake. Problem is, his reluctance to do so put the defence under more pressure, which on another day could have resulted in us conceding.

How much match practice has he had though? All those years as Given's understudy have taken their toll I think. Thinking about it, don't Krul and Forster play the reserve games? Harper has probably forgotten what playing a football match is like :|

Hopefully it'll come back with time. We need to strengthen in so many other areas, replacing him would not be a priority imo.

Words do not describe the hangover I have but I'll gladly live with it today. After all the hate I've given Taylor and Martins this season, I couldn't care less. They could double team my mother and I'd just throw a blanket over them. What a night.

:rolleyes:

I agree with the Harper comments. His communication is woeful, he sticks to his line too often and his insistance on trying to punch everything gets right on my tits. Whether he's nervous, he's past it or he's just on a bad run of form I don't know but if it wasn't for the fact our defence would shatter the confidence of the young'uns I think Krul and/or Forster may have had a bash by now.

I'm sick of Jonas too. Running at players is all well and good but if you've no end product then what's the point? He's so ineffective I don't even think he strikes fear into the hearts of the full backs anymore as they know he'll run out of steam eventually and he'll lose the ball. I lost count of the number of times last night he turned attack into defence because he gifted Boro the ball. He's shite and he's been living off the performance against Man United for too long now.

Did Taylor and Bassong swap skins prior to the match last night? The former was a fucking rock whereas the latter was making silly errors.

Edited by Ketsbaia

Guest Stevie

Ridiculous the amount of people who want to talk about negatives after a neet like last night. Some of you aren't happy unless you're abusing or contriving some opinion to cause a row.

I think describing Harper as utter gash is a little harsh, although I appreciate that people at the match get to see more of what he was/wasn't doing than those of us who had to settle for Setanta. He made some good saves and did try to keep the momentum going with quick distribution. However, I also agree he looks nervous. Given the importance of last night, I think he was more nervous than normal. He seems scared to come out and claim the ball on a few occasions last night in case it resulted in him making a mistake. Problem is, his reluctance to do so put the defence under more pressure, which on another day could have resulted in us conceding.

How much match practice has he had though? All those years as Given's understudy have taken their toll I think. Thinking about it, don't Krul and Forster play the reserve games? Harper has probably forgotten what playing a football match is like :|

Hopefully it'll come back with time. We need to strengthen in so many other areas, replacing him would not be a priority imo.

Could be some of it, frankly being the keeper for our team (especially this season) isn't something that would breed confidence and calm assurance in the very best of goalkeepers, add to that the must win nature of that game.

My calfs are knacking. Them chairs are bloody lethal when you're trying to dance/pogo/pigbag.

I also seem to have damaged a finger at some point. Agony.

Some lads from Holland stood next to us for the game. They'd got the ferry across especially. Top lads. I did an impression of Steve McLaren to make them feel at home - "One Shteven Taylor".

One of them was the spitting dabs of Van Persie too.

I'd like to see what Krul and Foster could do. I think it was fair enough not chucking them in at the deep end this season though. Let's hope Given's sale doesn't still cost us yet.

If things go right at the weekend and safety is confirmed, I'd give one of them (probably Krul) a crack between the sticks against Villa.

Harper doesn't inspire confidence at all - would agree with the suggestion that he's been shitting himself since becoming no.1

His game needs to seriously improve - take a blind man (or a fucking idiot) not to realise that.

I said last night, when tanked up with far more Stella than I've had in a long time, that survival is a greater feeling than actually winning.

Even with soberity, I still think that. The feeling of being 1st Division Champions in 1993 was not as euphoric as surviving relegation the season before IMO.