Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

I think Ozarks only okay personally. I had a sudden urge to rewatch breaking bad last night, now better call saul is catching up with the timeline. Its fucking superb watching it again 5 years later. Second time round you pick up more subtleties and the acting is so good. Probably the best story arc too (although from memory S1 and S5 were better than the middle). 

So aye, ozarks not a patch on BB imo. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Handmaids tale is class like though not a jolly watch.

the ending to bodyguard was total pony. Shame 

Yeah, the ending was far too neat and tidy. Enjoying The Alienist atm. I love that era 

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

I still can't figure out why they wanted to bomb his kids' school. 

Thought it was revenge for his protecting the Home Secretary and her unapologetic stance of past conflicts in Muslim countries.

25 minutes ago, Alex said:

Thought it was revenge for his protecting the Home Secretary and her unapologetic stance of past conflicts in Muslim countries.

Seems a bit of a tenuous link. Not that I tried to pull the show apart because you could have a field day if you did that.

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

the casting was also annoyingly right-on, even by the bbc's standards. every major character was a woman or an ethnic minority. even the

Reveal hidden contents

jihadi mastermind was a woman ffs.

Yeah but that was all part of the twist. I can't say that the casting affected my enjoyment of the show but then again I'm not a racist sexist so I'll defer to you on that one.

Also, the lead character was a white male.

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

the casting was also annoyingly right-on, even by the bbc's standards. every major character was a woman or an ethnic minority. even the

Reveal hidden contents

jihadi mastermind was a woman ffs.

My lass and I were pissing ourselves laughing in the first episode after about the 4th or 5th female boss. Still didn't stop the Guardian from having a pop about the portrayal of of Muslim women though :D Thought it was entertaining stuff but the ending did spoil it a tad.

BBC iPlayer is showing the two episodes of the silent war about the US, UK and Soviet nuclear sub's and their cat and mouse, cold war tracking of each other again. It's a good show. Also watched a programme on there of the Spanish flu pandemic of 1918-19 which, considering the numbers of deaths involved, (50m plus), it always amazes me how little of the subject has been mentioned, taught, discussed etc. The numbers involved were staggering. (Maybe Farage could've stood in front of a memorial or something with a sad face about it if only it was just confined to Britain rather than a global outbreak?)

• Like 1

just started vinyl. scorsese is an exec producer and you can see his influence all over it - drugs, brutal violence, stylish 70s backdrop - but set in a record label. 3 episodes in and so far it's very good

15 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

just started vinyl. scorsese is an exec producer and you can see his influence all over it - drugs, brutal violence, stylish 70s backdrop - but set in a record label. 3 episodes in and so far it's very good

Only lasted one season, it never got renewed.

shame, been enjoying it.

i remember the same happening to huff - that was well worth watching but was canned after 2 or 3 seasons just as it was coming to the boil. 

HBO has a history of cancelling shows, the show didn't get that many viewers in the US and it was expensive. Terrence Winter left aswell so they probably just cut their losses. Mind I enjoyed it, The Deuce season 2 has started and that is based around the same time in NYC. Worth a watch.

I couldn't get past the first episode of Vinyl and as no one else said anything particularly positive about it, I never tried.

I watched Final Space over the weekend.  A bit like Rick and Morty but not quite so mental and with an ongoing story.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.