Mike Ashley puts Newcastle on the block

Scottish Mag

Glad he's going. 50/50 shot of getting a good owner if you ask me.

An Owner that's got to have the cash not only to buy us, but throw £20m at the immediate problem and who doesn't get too involved with the day-to-day. Employs the right men in the right position and doesn't embarrass us on national tv/media... is that too much to ask for?

As long as they get someone who knows what they are doing to run it - even if that is you know who.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a month is a 'quick' sale we are fucked! You can add another month on that to sort out managers etc. By which time most other clubs will have finished their transfers and we are left with the shit again

Pud made a good point earlier, and thinking about it how much money has the club made on transfers since Ashley took over? I'd like to know how much has been made against this miraculous amount that Ashley has forked out of his own pocket to pay off previous debts.

If a month is a 'quick' sale we are fucked! You can add another month on that to sort out managers etc. By which time most other clubs will have finished their transfers and we are left with the shit again

If we get a good owner it will be worth the wait

Mike Ashley's favourite sentences....

The cheque is in the mail.

I'll respect you in the morning.

I'm from your government, and I am here to help you.

It's only a cold sore.

You get this one, I'll pay next time.

My wife doesn't understand me.

Trust me, I'll take care of everything.

Of course I love you.

I am getting a divorce.

Drinking? Why, no, Officer.

I never inhaled.

It's not the money, it's the principle of the thing.

I never watch television except for PBS.

...but we can still be good friends.

She means nothing to me.

Don't worry, I can go another 20 miles when the gauge is on "empty."

I gave at the office.

Don't worry, he's never bitten anyone.

I'll call you later.

We'll release the upgrade by the end of the year.

Read my lips: no new taxes.

I've never done anything like this before.

Now, I'm going to tell you the truth.

It's supposed to make that noise.

I *love* your new _____!

...then take a left. You can't miss it.

Yes, I did.

Don't worry, it's OK - I'm sterile.

Edited by Happy Face

It doesn't mention what happens to the 100m loan but if if for a second he's writing that off as well then a price of 100m would allow someone plenty of room for major investment - even £200m would.

No way on earth that he's writing off the £100m. It's £100m sale price and £100m to insta-pay him back the loan.

Gerraway- on what basis can he justify £200m when we're going to need a further injection of anything of £50m to £100m in the next two years?

Bids should equal roughly what he'd likely get if you liquidated the assets, plus a few quid on top.

If he wants his £100m repaid as well then takeover talks will be very brief.

It doesn't mention what happens to the 100m loan but if if for a second he's writing that off as well then a price of 100m would allow someone plenty of room for major investment - even £200m would.

No way on earth that he's writing off the £100m. It's £100m sale price and £100m to insta-pay him back the loan.

Gerraway- on what basis can he justify £200m when we're going to need a further injection of anything of £50m to £100m in the next two years?

Bids should equal roughly what he'd likely get if you liquidated the assets, plus a few quid on top.

If he wants his £100m repaid as well then takeover talks will be very brief.

There's £120m of loans the club has outstanding to him. He's not writing that off....and he's not going to give the club away in the hope someone gives him the loan money.

Matt, you seriously think he's gonna sell a club for £100m that has debts outstanding of £100m +, payable to him, and just go "Oh don't worry about that. That's all included in the £100m acquisition price."

Guest Hova
Matt, you seriously think he's gonna sell a club for £100m that has debts outstanding of £100m +, payable to him, and just go "Oh don't worry about that. That's all included in the £100m acquisition price."

So basically you're saying that the price of the club has barely dropped at all then? Why would he even attempt that, after failing to do it when the club was in the premiership?

As if MA couldn't make matters worse.......this could resign us to League One. He clearly doesn't want to spend a cent and I can't see anyone buying us anytime soon. This is not good.

So basically you're saying that the price of the club has barely dropped at all then? Why would he even attempt that, after failing to do it when the club was in the premiership?

Quiet you knickers Dutty Custard.

He was asking anywhere between £300m and £450m according to reports last year.

The price tag last time he put it up for sale was ~£200m. It's £100m this time. How has the price not fallen? The loan is still there payable to him, but the price tag has halved.

Guest Hova

The price tag last time he put it up for sale was ~£200m. It's £100m this time. How has the price not fallen? The loan is still there payable to him, but the price tag has halved.

So what about the "club doesn't owe a dime" etc quotes?

Yeah that's basically bollocks. He paid the loans off to externals with his own cash, but the club now owes him for all of the debts he settled. The club is still in debt, but to the owner rather than to a third party. But he becomes a third party that wants his cash as soon as he sells up.

He'll certainly want his £100mil back and it'll be at a commercial interest rate as well if the incoming buyer/s seek to negotiate to pay it back over time. Someone made the point the other day about the possibility of us attracting investors who are fully stretched just to meet the asking price. The debt burden becomes a big factor in our future in that event.

*hopes for a smart buyer with a shedload of cash behind him*

Yeah that's basically bollocks. He paid the loans off to externals with his own cash, but the club now owes him for all of the debts he settled. The club is still in debt, but to the owner rather than to a third party. But he becomes a third party that wants his cash as soon as he sells up.

Allegedly not, seems we're now living day to day on the rather hefty Barclays overdraft (somewhere between 40 and 70million depending on who you listen to).

What's his alternative? You can't value the club on future profits, because it doesn't make any, or on cash flows, as they're all negative and will get worse. We don't have a Premier League place and would need considerable investment to get it back.

He has poured money down a black hole and he's not getting it back.

Further along the line he'd have to find more money or face admininstration pressure. I'd hazard a guess that his loan is junior to anything from the banks as well but if they weren't then I'm stuggling to see him getting all of his money back in that situation. If he left it to Barclays they would have us into and out of pre-pack administration in a fortnight.

That's his worst case scenario. If an offer comes in a penny better, he should take it.

Anyone valuing this business will see his shareholder loans as equity by any other name. Rather than looking at what gone into the business, bidders should be looking at looming obligations. That's what will force Ashley's hand.

He has poured money down a black hole and he's not getting it back.

The £100Mil was 'loaned' to the club, it wasn't money invested. So I'll be surprised if he'd just 'write' it off. Can't see it myself.