Michael Jackson

Angelus71

I can't say I liked any of his music.

For me the quality of the music is inversely proportional to the number of high pitched 'heeeee-hee's and 'shamones'. And amount of crotch touching.

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Working from home today and the inevitable comparisons with Lennon, Elvis, and even Dianna are being made on the radio. The last one is telling for me because surely over the last 20 years of his life he was more famous for his bizarre behaviour than for anything he did musically. Can anyone on here really say they liked his latter music?

:lol:

30 years of musical excellence doesn't cut the mustard if you release 2 bum albums.

I loved Scream, Earth Song, Will You Be There, They don't Care About Us and that but haven't listened to owt since around those.

Not necessarily hypocritical.

Goody was a useless mong, Jackson was a mentalist/Nonce but at the same time he entertained a lot of people and contributed a massive amount to popular culture.

I just meant all of a sudden there's all this celebration of him as an artist (which is nice I suppose) but the media has only really been interested in his crazy personal life (which is understandable) for the last however many years. I.e. it's taken his death for them to give him a fairer appraisal (shades of Diana).

Ah I thought you were calling people on here hypocritical.

The media are hypocritical all the time and events like this give them a fairly easy days work!

Plus they aren't going to unleash a torrent of anti-Jackson abuse while he's still warm.

For me I have never liked his music and I he didn't concern me as a person but I do recognise him as an important part of pop culture.

Working from home today and the inevitable comparisons with Lennon, Elvis, and even Dianna are being made on the radio. The last one is telling for me because surely over the last 20 years of his life he was more famous for his bizarre behaviour than for anything he did musically. Can anyone on here really say they liked his latter music?

Not sure why people have a preoccupation with the musical cannon. Any artist can only really deliver 2/3 great albums and he did that with ease.

It's a pity he did his 30 years ago and has been living off it ever since though.

Lennon for me was much more tragic because firstly he was murdered by a psycho, but secondly there was the impression he still had a lot to give, that the world lost a genius and all the future music that went with that. That's not the case with Jackson imo.

Not sure why people have a preoccupation with the musical cannon. Any artist can only really deliver 2/3 great albums and he did that with ease.

Because he brought out loads of shit albums and he's a pop star.

Yeah Id say Jade Goody was ridiculous, not Michael Jackson.

Goody was a media invention, on the other hand Jacko invented the pop video, some legendary work. First black artist to get rotation on daytime MTV iirc.

He invented the excessively expensive pop video to prop up a mediocre song maybe. What does 'rotation on daytime MTV ' mean, is that a significant achievement? And what work do you regard as legendary?

I thought the vid where he surrounded himself with young boys and stood in his vest in front of a wind machine shouting 'what about us?' was pretty memorable. Or do you mean legendary in a good way?

Read the second part again.

Goody was a media invention, on the other hand Jacko invented the pop video, some legendary work. First black artist to get rotation on daytime MTV iirc.

He invented the excessively expensive pop video to prop up a mediocre song maybe. What does 'rotation on daytime MTV ' mean, is that a significant achievement? And what work do you regard as legendary?

Fcuk off you clueless gimp.

Charming as always Parky. I was just putting across my opinion and trying to clarify what you meant, not for the first time you answer with personal abuse. :lol:

Fcuk off you clueless gimp.

Charming as always Parky. I was just putting across my opinion and trying to clarify what you meant, not for the first time you answer with personal abuse. :lol:

Get out.

:lol: Someone's huffed. I read it the first time. Judging a pop star on their output seems fair enough to me.

Lennon was incredibly special all round and Jackson shouldn't really be mentioned in the same sentence.

John Lennon released some absolute gash like

I know.

Lennon was incredibly special all round and Jackson shouldn't really be mentioned in the same sentence.

He did indeed. I think the difference between the two is outlined by Renton though in that you got the feeling there was no way Jackson would ever do anything decent ever again (plenty evidence to back that up as well).

I know.

....and was a right twat to his wife(s) and kids :lol:

:lol: Someone's huffed. I read it the first time. Judging a pop star on their output seems fair enough to me.

He was a genius not a popstar, that's where you and me differ on the appraisal.

I know.

:(

I know.

I don't think engaging the legacies of Lennon and Jackson in a moral off is really a good idea, do you? :(

He did indeed. I think the difference between the two is outlined by Renton though in that you got the feeling there was no way Jackson would ever do anything decent ever again (plenty evidence to back that up as well).

He died 10 years earlier than Wacko though...most people would agree that your forties on isn't really going to be peak of anyone's pop powers.

Hypocritical on the other hand?

That's more what I was meaning. Latter day saint now yet they were keen to knock him when he was alive.

Well, its been said this morning that him and Quincy Jones pulled together R & B,pop and Rock music in a way that had never been done before. I think that is pretty unarguable. Whether you liked it of course is entirely subjective. In a way he did a sort of reverse Elvis...he was (then) a black man using elements of popular music which were at the time seen as traditionally the preserve of white audiences and mixed them with what he was brought up with (R & B/Motown) to produce in the eighties two of the (and in fact the) biggest selling albums of all time.

That was a huge acheivement for someone who had been up till then mostly performing in the hugely ghettoised black music industry.Motown, the home of the Jackson 5, was very successful,but mainly sold to only black kids. MTV was starting up at the time and he and his record company could see the value of huge flashy videos to promote his music to a huge new audience in what could be termed "middle America". In this, him and Quincy Jones changed the face of popular music.

He died 10 years earlier than Wacko though...most people would agree that your forties on isn't really going to be peak of anyone's pop powers.

Exactly.